Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
so Dutch and Stinky got me thinking. I need a good gas truck that gets good milage. like stinky I have a hunting truck 22 f250.

will be buying in the next 6 months, maverick is probably 7,000.00 to 10,000.00 cheaper than Tacoma and ranger.

looking to get 150 to maybe 200 thousand miles out of it. be an every day driver....any reason not to go with the maverick?

better options in that price range?......bob

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’d sure consider one after reading up on them and some of the results other Campfire Members have posted on the other truck thread.

I didn’t realize that they were AWD, apparently.

You couldn’t give me a Tacoma. Most uncomfortable truck I’ve ever ridden in or driven.

I also thought they “handled” like crap on or off-road.

Here’s the other thread where other members spoke highly of the Maverick:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...6363/small-to-mid-suv-truck#Post19456363

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/10/24.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
thanks....that's the thread that got me thinking about just what is out there......I will buy new and wouldn't mind keeping the cost down....bob

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Bob, for the run around you want the unibody independent suspension type thing like a little suv or car, they handle and ride and just drive nice, and low step in height, convenient, and generally much lighter and better on gas.

Now for those of us who really have a hard time living without a box we get 3 options of run around unibody awd independent suspension vehicles with a little box...

1. The premium option, the Honda Ridgeline...expensive though, bit bigger, still quick but non turbo, may last longer than the Mav? $$ especially as a 2nd ride?
2. The Hyundai Santa Cruz, well, I could care less what it costs but I believe it's in between the Ridgeline and the Maverick, I'll never own a Hyundai of any kind.
3. Ford Maverick....probably one of the most affordable capable little vehicles available, it's a no brainer, that's your segment. The mav makes most sense as the 2nd ride for a daily. XL Trim with 4k tow package, add the amazon $150 auto-start and it's perfect. The value goes down as you move up through the xlt and lariat packages imo. The XL has more than enough comfort/features, it's the right level as a daily commuter so to speak. Base trim these days is luxury trim compared to only a couple decades ago lol. Oh and the LED headlights on mine are unreal, best stock lights I've every been behind. No need for aux. lighting imo even though I added ditch lights I'm not sure when I'll use them other than to blind a-holes in front of me lol but they will come in handy on quiet night hwy runs where I have them aimed way up the road into the ditches on either side of my high beams so I can see the critters from far enough away to ready. Hyper spot or spot beams. I digress...would be fine without them that's how sweet these headlights are.

The old Subaru Baja was way ahead of it's time lol.

The rest of the options are midsize truck body on frame segments. They have apparently lifted the seat off the floor for the new Tacomas and they now have only turbo 4 cylinders. I'd rather keep my full size than drive any of the midsize as a 'daily'...they just don't do convenient and comfortable as well as these unibody awd independent suspension cars with boxes. So for me it's full size real truck and then the Mav....I can't really do cars or suv's lol.

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 06/11/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've almost convinced myself my next daily would be a Maverick. Just wish I could get the hybrid MPG with AWD...

Then again, for my use, FWD might be sufficient...

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If you’re getting a truck, might as well get an F150 because the bed is pretty useless on a Maverick and probably a Ranger too.

An XL F150, reg. cab , 8 foot bed is under $37 grand MSRP.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
For Entertainment Only
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best combination that I have found is an AWD SUV and a 5x8 aluminum utility trailer. There is darn little that I can haul with my F150 that I can’t haul as well or better with that utility trailer. I met a guy at the landfill this morning with a pickup hauling branches with a utility trailer. He said he didn’t want to get the truck dirty.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
it may be the perfect golf machine, clubs slide in nice, roomy enough for 4....shoot'n'scoot baby

I'll probably put a deer or two in the back just because

do you know what it's like to drive an xl f-150? lame...it's a completely different thing, the Mav is a fun to drive sports truck that rides great, goes like snot, corners like a sports car too...thats what we're talking about here, oh and it will kill an f-150 on fuel economy too

fwd is pretty dang good in the slick stuff, I live above the 49th or whatever it is so we have a lot of winter, awd only...although I hear you can get hybrid awd on the latest ones now? I'm not down with batteries, rather burn a little extra gas

there's only one option for me and that's the awd 2.0 turbo, 250 hp, 277 ft/lbs

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 06/11/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
the suv version of the maverick is the bronco sport, and if you have space for little utility trailer perfect, if not but think box is better than suv...then you've the got the Mav

my favourite light trailer for a 'box' on wheels is the poly tub one about 9.5' long and 5.5' wide and weighs 300lb aluminum frame and 1500 lb cap, such a sweet little trailer, so easy to move around by hand, even with a quad in it, will try to find a name or link, sport max? got it....Cargo-Max....look em up, they are super handy little rigs for those wanting a part time better than 8' box wink

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
If you’re getting a truck, might as well get an F150 because the bed is pretty useless on a Maverick and probably a Ranger too.

An XL F150, reg. cab , 8 foot bed is under $37 grand MSRP.

that is a good point outdoors....but I already have a truck...22 f250......the small bed could still fit a cooler for some exploring....bob

IC B3

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
it may be the perfect golf machine, clubs slide in nice, roomy enough for 4....shoot'n'scoot baby

I'll probably put a deer or two in the back just because

do you know what it's like to drive an xl f-150? lame...it's a completely different thing, the Mav is a fun to drive sports truck that rides great, goes like snot, corners like a sports car too...thats what we're talking about here, oh and it will kill an f-150 on fuel economy too

fwd is pretty dang good in the slick stuff, I live above the 49th or whatever it is so we have a lot of winter, awd only...although I hear you can get hybrid awd on the latest ones now? I'm not down with batteries, rather burn a little extra gas

there's only one option for me and that's the awd 2.0 turbo, 250 hp, 277 ft/lbs

stinky...is it fwd or awd....I see advanced awd what that exactly is I don't know..... on my 250 it has I think 4 options for the trans. I only use normal and tow/haul......I don't drive cars and SUVs the back window is always dirty....wife has 22 jeep grand Cherokee hate it.

gas only for me.....it seems like the maverick might be in a class of its own....bob

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here's something else to consider. I have a good 3/4 ton Dodge diesel pickup for towing and hunting. When my mother hung up her car keys in '08, I bought her '04 Pontiac Montana minivan that had about 60k at the time. It's not exactly a hunting car but it gets decent mileage and has been very reliable. It passed 200k a long time ago. I've kept it as my runaround car. It holds lots of cargo and insurance and tags are much cheaper than a newer one. It has a number of minor issues, mostly electrical stuff, but nothing that I need to worry about. It's needed an O2 sensor for 5 years but I just ignore the check engine light. It saves a lot of miles on my pickup and our good car. I use the pickup a little more than I would if I had a runaround pickup but this van handles most of my needs and costs me very little.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Here's something else to consider. I have a good 3/4 ton Dodge diesel pickup for towing and hunting. When my mother hung up her car keys in '08, I bought her '04 Pontiac Montana minivan that had about 60k at the time. It's not exactly a hunting car but it gets decent mileage and has been very reliable. It passed 200k a long time ago. I've kept it as my runaround car. It holds lots of cargo and insurance and tags are much cheaper than a newer one. It has a number of minor issues, mostly electrical stuff, but nothing that I need to worry about. It's needed an O2 sensor for 5 years but I just ignore the check engine light. It saves a lot of miles on my pickup and our good car. I use the pickup a little more than I would if I had a runaround pickup but this van handles most of my needs and costs me very little.
An AWD minivan would make for an excellent pheasant hunting rig. Especially with sliding doors on both sides.

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by pointer
An AWD minivan would make for an excellent pheasant hunting rig. Especially with sliding doors on both sides.

lol....as to the mini van Rock ....some things in life should never be considered...bob

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pointer
Dang road hunters. whistle

I wouldn't have got a minivan except that my mother had it and needed to sell it. I got it cheap. It's been much better than I anticipated at the time. They did make a few of these Montanas in AWD but this isn't one of them. More clearance would be a big help.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd look at the Honda Ridgeline if it has to be a truck. They have more payload than Tacoma and get better fuel mileage. By a wide margin.

For me, I'd consider a Rav-4 with AWD.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JMR40
I'd look at the Honda Ridgeline if it has to be a truck. They have more payload than Tacoma and get better fuel mileage. By a wide margin.

Rav4 rides like schit. And not much room.

Friend loves his Maverick.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

don't need a lot of payload.....the idea is what is out there that is cheaper than a tacoma or ranger with better milage.....I have a 22 f250....no SUVs...bob

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by pal

Rav4 rides like schit. And not much room.

Friend loves his Maverick.

the more I read and hear the maverick might be the thing to get...bob

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My truck is my run around truck. Doesn't need a separate designation

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 60 invisible), 12,506 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums82
Topics1,198,290
Posts18,605,322
Members74,139
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.