24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
Good evening Men, after texting BSA he thought it'd be better to try here too see exactly when this rifle was made, G143xxx, iirc i bought it unfired except factory testing around 2000, it remains unfired today, dug it out of the safe yesterday, thinking of sending it to JES for a rebore to 375 AI, I have magnum length mag box, follower, ejector and bolt stop for 3.600 COL's.

Plain tupperware stock and crap glue bedding.

BTW, also remember taking to 'Smith for a new black 1" Decelerator recoil pad.

Thanks in advance for any information.


Trump Won!
GB1

Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 18,535
Likes: 52
A
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 18,535
Likes: 52
1996

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
Good deal, Thanks AKW, I dont figure this rifle is anything rare, so shouldn't hurt much to build it into an all game all weather hunting rifle, nice and light too, have 150 rounds of 270 gr Hornady's at a mild H&H speeds for light big game hunting and making 375 AI brass.

Steel Warne Weaver type bases with steel Warne maxima horizontal lows will hold glass plenty steady for full power AI loads later.


Trump Won!
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
1996
I told gunner, you would know the exact year. I thought it was a ‘98, but I don’t know them like you do. I like gunners idea. Should work well for his intended use.


Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
Yep, many thanks for the point BSA old bud, proves how long it's been collecting dust, i wrote the name backwards! the action/bolt works cycle really nice, this mid 90's rifle sure feels like a good solid build.


Trump Won!
IC B2

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yep, many thanks for the point BSA old bud, proves how long it's been collecting dust, i wrote the name backwards! the action/bolt works cycle really nice, this mid 90's rifle sure feels like a good solid build.

Very good. The 5 and 6 digit classics are some of my favorites. I'm sure it will be a great rifle!!! The stainless just makes it even better. Are you going to replace the stock, or leave it as is? I'll usually just paint them up, throw on a better recoil pad, glass bed them, and call it good. To make the rifle even lighter, you could use a Mcmillan, Brown PoundR, or even a Pacific Research..


Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 18,535
Likes: 52
A
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 18,535
Likes: 52
Originally Posted by gunner500
Good deal, Thanks AKW, I dont figure this rifle is anything rare, so shouldn't hurt much to build it into an all game all weather hunting rifle, nice and light too, have 150 rounds of 270 gr Hornady's at a mild H&H speeds for light big game hunting and making 375 AI brass.

Steel Warne Weaver type bases with steel Warne maxima horizontal lows will hold glass plenty steady for full power AI loads later.

Sounds like a great plan.

👍

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
Thanks BSA and AKW, mini dilemma, this stock has a nice Decelerator pad, but, have another tupperware stock just like it except 'Smith bedded and pillared it, bottom metal bedded too, it's was a 300 RUM i torched the throat on, it's action got used for a 400 H&H build.

I should see if i get get that Decelerator pad put on that stock, then send it off for a nice paint job! smile

Have a little 2.5-8 Leupold that stood up to many poundings from my old 458 WM, it may hold for awhile on this 375 AI, it'll be a lightweight kicker for sure.


Trump Won!
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks BSA and AKW, mini dilemma, this stock has a nice Decelerator pad, but, have another tupperware stock just like it except 'Smith bedded and pillared it, bottom metal bedded too, it's was a 300 RUM i torched the throat on, it's action got used for a 400 H&H build.

I should see if i get get that Decelerator pad put on that stock, then send it off for a nice paint job! smile

Have a little 2.5-8 Leupold that stood up to many poundings from my old 458 WM, it may hold for awhile on this 375 AI, it'll be a lightweight kicker for sure.

Good idea on the Decelerator pad. They also make a limbsaver pad that fits these. Although, they do not look as good. I used one on my 7mm Rem mag classic. Didn't require any fitting. Just screwed it on.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I usually just install the red Pachmayr pads on my rifles, but they were damn hard to find at the time. Found this Limbsaver locally, and just used it. The recoil reduction is better than a 1" pachmayr. Just another option buddy..


Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
Thanks again AKW and BSA, Good looking setup as per usual my friend, good to know about the Limbsaver pads, I may pull the Decelerator and put it on the stock that's pillared and bedded, then send off for a nice splatter paint job, cherry red and black are nice, i installed magnum bolt stop, ejector, mag box and follower, now all the rifle needs is a 3/8ths JES drill bit.


Trump Won!
IC B3

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,458
Likes: 24
B
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,458
Likes: 24
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks again AKW and BSA, Good looking setup as per usual my friend, good to know about the Limbsaver pads, I may pull the Decelerator and put it on the stock that's pillared and bedded, then send off for a nice splatter paint job, cherry red and black are nice, i installed magnum bolt stop, ejector, mag box and follower, now all the rifle needs is a 3/8ths JES drill bit.

You’ll like it. My 375 Improved is an animal. I need to find some bigger stuff to use it on, but it doesn’t suck as a deer rifle either. Carried it for elk and just never got the opportunity with it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]


[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]


Semper Fi
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks again AKW and BSA, Good looking setup as per usual my friend, good to know about the Limbsaver pads, I may pull the Decelerator and put it on the stock that's pillared and bedded, then send off for a nice splatter paint job, cherry red and black are nice, i installed magnum bolt stop, ejector, mag box and follower, now all the rifle needs is a 3/8ths JES drill bit.

You’ll like it. My 375 Improved is an animal. I need to find some bigger stuff to use it on, but it doesn’t suck as a deer rifle either. Carried it for elk and just never got the opportunity with it.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]


[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Look what you did to that poor 300wby!!!


Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks again AKW and BSA, Good looking setup as per usual my friend, good to know about the Limbsaver pads, I may pull the Decelerator and put it on the stock that's pillared and bedded, then send off for a nice splatter paint job, cherry red and black are nice, i installed magnum bolt stop, ejector, mag box and follower, now all the rifle needs is a 3/8ths JES drill bit.

Should be a sweet rig buddy. Nice for real crappy weather. Your rifle should weigh quite a bit less than a factory 375H&H classic. Those are tanks. I don't know why Winchester thought they needed to put a truck axle on that factory 375 H&H??


Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
Thanks Scottie, that's a great looking setup, bet that buck ate damn good too, fried loin with a skillet of potatoes, jalapenos and onion is one of favorites, you could beat all day and not whip a deal like that.

BSA, same/same here bud, i thought the same when i saw Scotties rifle, perfect lightweight mountain rifle for ALL game, Winchester did screw the pooch with those tractor axle barrels, never made sense to me either, i have what has been a bullet proof 2.5-8 to go on this rifle, it survived several poundings from my old 458 WM firing 404 Hammers at 2500, 450gr TSX at 2425 and 500gr Sledgehammer solids at 2300+ fps, maybe it'll hold LOL!


Trump Won!
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks Scottie, that's a great looking setup, bet that buck ate damn good too, fried loin with a skillet of potatoes, jalapenos and onion is one of favorites, you could beat all day and not whip a deal like that.

BSA, same/same here bud, i thought the same when i saw Scotties rifle, perfect lightweight mountain rifle for ALL game, Winchester did screw the pooch with those tractor axle barrels, never made sense to me either, i have what has been a bullet proof 2.5-8 to go on this rifle, it survived several poundings from my old 458 WM firing 404 Hammers at 2500, 450gr TSX at 2425 and 500gr Sledgehammer solids at 2300+ fps, maybe it'll hold LOL!

Man, those 2.5-8x36 Leupolds are tough scopes. I saw a couple a few weeks ago, in very good condition for cheap. I should have bought the damn things!! Even if to resell. I've had them too, but found them to be less forgiving when mounting on a long action rifle. Keep us posted on your rifle buddy!! Those stainless classics are some of my favorites. I know a lot of my buddies in Oregon loved to use them for their elk hunting rifles. They hold up very well to the elements. I've seen stainless Tikka's rust there, but the Winchester model 70's aren't as affected by the constant rain, during elk season. Different steel composition I guess..


Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,458
Likes: 24
B
Campfire Ranger
Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 15,458
Likes: 24
Agreed about the 2.5x8. They seem good enough for what I use them on and seem to hold zero.

Gunner, he ate well buddy.. I just had to let the 375 try it.

Agreed about the heavy barrel. On a 458 it’s great. 375, way too much.


Semper Fi
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
Yep, you should have grabbed those BSA old bud, i think it will hold this 375 AI just fine, I'm going to break down and put a cherry little gloss 3-9x33 compact in Conetrols on that boney assed 270 and leave it the hell be, that'll have to work.

Ten-roger Big B, i have coffee cans of 300gr npt's and 285gr Grand Slams for general use and fireforming, thinking for a sure nuff kick ass 2900 fps hammer of a bullet load in AI form will launch 300gr Northforks, can't tear those up on a brick wall.


Trump Won!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
JES just returned call, 12 twist 3 groove it will be, 270gr Barnes LRX will be on the list too, should make a decent reacher in 375 AI at 3000 fps.


Trump Won!
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 46,358
Likes: 12
Well, too much trouble and expense, another 100 bucks to rent reamer for 375 AI, I'll leave this old classic stainless 300 Win Mag be, 200gr npt's at 3000 fps is never a bad thing, easy done at 3.585 col, i have an early SuperGrade Classic in 300 Win Mag i done tha same to decades ago, same load, 200 npt's at 3K at 3.585 col.

Oh well, it's all good, especially now that the classic stainless has BSA approved Warne steel bases, not a hint of over bridging in the action/load port! grin


Trump Won!
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 48,716
Likes: 68
Originally Posted by gunner500
Well, too much trouble and expense, another 100 bucks to rent reamer for 375 AI, I'll leave this old classic stainless 300 Win Mag be, 200gr npt's at 3000 fps is never a bad thing, easy done at 3.585 col, i have an early SuperGrade Classic in 300 Win Mag i done tha same to decades ago, same load, 200 npt's at 3K at 3.585 col.

Oh well, it's all good, especially now that the classic stainless has BSA approved Warne steel bases, not a hint of over bridging in the action/load port! grin

Oh man.


Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24



586 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 163bc, 204guy, 65 invisible), 12,852 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums82
Topics1,198,289
Posts18,605,291
Members74,139
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024


 


Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.



Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5
(Release build 20201027)
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.3.33 Page Time: 0.319s Queries: 55 (0.056s) Memory: 0.9122 MB (Peak: 1.0313 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2024-06-24 15:37:38 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS