Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Folks:

Thanks to our association with the great folks at Camera Land, we have a sneak peek at a brand new line of binoculars from Nikon, the EDG. Here's an image:

[Linked Image]

"EDG Technology

Pronounced �EDGE�, the all-new EDG is the first hunting binocular to harness the optical superiority of Nikon�s exclusive and legendary ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) glass. Nikon�s ED lenses were developed to push the limits of optical performance by virtually eliminating chromatic aberration, or the dispersion that occurs when light rays of varying wavelengths pass through optical glass. The resulting Nikon ED lenses product brilliant, color-corrected images that are extremely bright, razor sharp and free of flare for unparalleled viewing."

These are going to be the schnizzle!

You read it here first.

Rick Bin

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Priced right along with the Big Three?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They will be priced in similar fashion but from what I am told they will be the best of all available in brightness and in resolution.
Notice the winged eye-cups. They've been listening to what people want.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yup.

This line is meant to nudge the Premier LX-L line into the number 2 slot in the Nikon lineup.

They're going for the Big Boys with this one.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Notice the winged eye-cups. They've been listening to what people want.

Yes, I do like the winged cups on my older SLC's.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Looks a lot like the Steiner Peregrine XP. I'm disappointed.

BTW, something has been bothering me for awhile about the current trend in binocular design. For years and years everyone claimed that one of the inherent benefits of the roof prism design was that their long, "piano" hinges made them more robust and less prone to collimation problems than the open hinges found on porro prism binoculars. Now everyone is making these open-hinged roofs and touting how strong they are. Isn't this a bit of a contradiction?

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Couldn't agree more, one of the gripes I see with the EL is the hinge design - this one looks to be no stronger. Glad they're making better glass as I have said all along the the LX's fall short of the big 3, I'm guessing that optically this one will be pretty close however.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well I disagree with cfran, I actually own a Nikon 8X32 LX and feel that it is a very fine bino - as did many of the bird experts. The only area that if find them to be inferior to the big 3 was in controlling flare in extreme conditions. If nikon has improved upon the LX's then WOW, because every time I put the LX's to my eyes the view is just stunning. Equal or better quality, a few hundred less than the big 3 - I say good for Nikon!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't think we're that far apart in that for the price they (LX) are a great bino. Just not up to par with some of the others but granted we're not talking a huge difference. I also have noticed the flare, something I don't get with a Swaro or Leica (haven't really tested an FL).

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
As a big fan of the best in the Nikon line, and fanatic when it comes to the best image availiable, I'm not even going to consider an EDG. They are not built as tough as the LX, that's odvious. The LX, on the other hand, has passed Barsness's "alaskan guide tests" as far as toughness. That's good enough for me.
The other is the reduction in weight. Again, not me. The Zeiss FL, and the Leica Ultravid are reported by many to be, maybe, a hair better than the LX. They are also much lighter, as apparently the new EDG will be. Not for me. I don't want anything lighter than my 25.5 oz. 8X32 LX. Too much image shake for me. E

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not to start this into a thread that winds up having little or no meaning....
Since there are no specs as far as weight yet and nobody has handled these, so durability is something that there is no evidence of as of either, I think making any type of determination " They are not built as tough as the LX, that's odvious" is just typing because the space here is free. Let's wait to see when they get released and field tested to come to a conclusion.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I assumed that they'd be lighter that's true. It sure looks like it. That type of hinge design is not as strong as the one piece hinge and is usually used to make the binocular lighter. That's all I am basing my opinion on.
As to wether they are too light for others or not strong enough for others is their call. There are many here who appreciate other choices that are lighter and not as strong. I'm not one of them. E

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
And your knew LX (thats not even released yet) or Swarovski EL has failed you when, E? Surely you must have vast experience with both to make such a statement. And please don't quote JB, actually come up with something of your own or shut up.

Sorry Doug, I just turned the thread into something you didn't want it to. My growing intolerance for BS just got the best of me. I apologize.

Bill

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If no one has touched it... how can anyone really know? smile

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know I really like the winged eye cups and see that you can get em for Swaros , wish you could get em for Leica's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Found this else where.

Here are some specs for the 8x42 EDG. Prism uses dielectric mirror coating. Body is magnesium.

FOV - 7.7 degrees (61.6 AFOV)

Eye Relief - 19.3mm

Close Focus - 3m

Weight - 835 g

minimum advertised price US$1899.00 (street price should be a bit lower)

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That, according to my math makes them come out at about 29 ozs. That's alot better than I thought they would be. I'm going to reinstate them for consideration. 29 ozs. isn't far from the 30-31 oz. minimum I set for long range binoculars.
BTW, just because they use the Swaro EL hinge system does not mean that their prisms are mounting less ruggedly like the El's, or the insides use flimsier materials than Zeiss or Leica.
Just based on their weight, it infers that may not be the case. E

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Using your scientific methods we can concur that the Pentax coming in around 25 ozs for their 43 size binos are made cheaply. You'd be better off not commenting on such matters as I've never seen someone talk out of both sides of his/her mouth as often as you in my lifetime . . .

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I plan on picking up a pair once they debut. I only have two questions....

1) What is the expected release date?

2) What street price are we talking about for the 7x42s Doug?

Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
May release (on or about) the 7x42 EDG will have an MAP of $1799.95

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
740 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.