-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Although this forum owes its genesis to interest in QuickLOAD, it's really about interest in ballistics software of all breeds and sorts � QuickLOAD, QuickTARGET, QuickDESIGN, Ballstic Explorer, Pejsa, Load from a Disc, Point Blank, et alii.

Which one floats a ? or ! in the air over your head?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
since Load from a Disc is the Powley computer in a computer program instead of a cardboard sliderule, I use it for IMR powders. For those powders, I'll accept it over any other software.
For any other brand of powder, I'll use Quickload.
I've transferred the more complete bullet choices from Load from a Disc to the Quickload catalog.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use LFD for quite a few things, and am satisfied enough with it that I don't have QL. I am aware that QL does offer a few more valuable options, the ability to select a powder chief among them. LFD, on the other hand suggests several powders, but does not allow you to run any "what if" scenarios with a powder that's not in the suggested list.

For external ballistics, I still like Oehler Ballistic Explorer, even though my edition of it is a bit long in the tooth.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use "Shoot" for day-to-day stuff.

It's easy to use and has a pretty good database for load recipes that you can build. It doesn't have any load recipes of its own, but does have a database for factory ammo.

I like the feature of being able to compare various rounds too. The chart below shows a comparison of several bullets.

[Linked Image]

Steve

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
A long time student of ballistics, Quickload and QuickDesign are my tool of choice, with reference checks and externals by LFAD. I have also developed some proprietary algorithms to resolve some tricky issues with Jonson wildcats. After reading some comments on the forum, though, I'm going to check out the Oehler program for externals.

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have QuickLoad, Load From a Disk, and RCBS Load. Of the 3 RCBS is not a Load Computer� you can get electronic copies of manuals for it� and I like that� and it�s graphing program allows you to place your cursor at a point along the graph and get a readout at that point� I love that� but for the most part it is a good place to document loads and calculate recoil, drop� etc.
Both QuickLoad & Load From A Disk are fine products� and I can�t choose between them. The problem with Load From A Disk is how it �preselects� powders for you� I hate that� . I find that they are REMARKABLY accurate in their predictions of my loads� more so than the manuals� so I expect their pressure predictions are accurate also.
I use all of them and recently updated QuickLoad from V3.2 to V3.3 (have not received the CD yet) but I still do not consider them a substitute for a manual.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quickload is my main "what if" tool. IF I barrel a gun in XXX cartridge, how fast does it fire YYY bullet, and how does that compare with other cartridges.

I still use the Powley computer (the computerized version), just to see how things compare.

In the last three or so years, though, I have used Quickload in conjunction with Chris Long's "optimal barrel time" model, (http://www.the-long-family.com/OBT_paper.htm) and combined with Quickload's barrel time function, it is Ken's "eerie" squared.

In a way it's been a bad deal; I used to spend months and boxes of bullets developing a pet load, having a great time all the way. Now I run the barrel time model, plug it into Quickload, find the powder and charge that gives me 95% case fill and 99% or better powder burn --- and voila, with about 20 bullets, a pet load arises. Load development used to be "hit and miss" (mostly miss), and a major hobby. Now, those bullets get shot at varmints and such. FWIW, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (Birdwatcher, 35, Ashworth, Bigd7378, 11 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,256
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.