Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The previous thread on Mexico fishing and costs of same spurred me to pass onto Campfire members one of my favorite fishing hotspots. I fish for a week with great accomodations and some great meals for the price paid for a one day charter at other places.�Checkout www.fishermensfleet.com [site is under reconstruction, exercise patience]. The owner, David Jones, is a big old gringo that provides a quality experience at a very fair price.....with NO hidden fees.....a reasonable tip for the captain is appreciated.

Fishermen's Fleet is primarily a 22' panga fleet. Although a 40' boat is available, I prefer the pangas as we can get live bait easier and can fish the near-shore species i.e. rooster fish and snapper as well as grouper. We often go offshore for marlin, tuna and sailfsh also.

The Captains are tremendously talented fishermen that want you to be a satisfied, repeat customer. They are patient with kids, we old farts and the inexperienced.

LaPaz has the flavor of Old Mexico not your typical testosterone laden spring break destination. Personal safety and theft have not been a concern. Having a resident gringo in charge is important to me as he knows how to handle emergencies i.e. medical care. A while back, I watched my neighbor go through hell trying to get his son's body shipped home from another popular fishing town.�And, if you like to eat fresh fish as well as I do, this is the place. I eat fresh fish every night except those evenings when FF cooks and David grill chicken or my favorite, carne asada. We even twisted David's arm to creat a batch of carne asada with moose meat....unbelievable!

Once again, there are no hidden fees at FF. Many other fishing operations have charged me dock surcharge, fuel surcharge, bait charges.....and some excessive cost for that one cold beer in the cooler.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to Fishermen's Fleet other than being a satisfied customer.

I hope to see you in LaPaz.....

GB1

L
Ldn Offline
L
What time of year would you recommend out of La Paz? If I recall, this time of year is a little slow, as most of the fish move more toward the Pacific?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'll be in San Jose del Cabo for 10 days from the 14th of Feb.Last year the water was too cold out on the Gordo Bank and even 15 miles out off Cabo itself.I might have to try La Paz this year.Thanks for the info! Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have had good fishing in January and February but that is the exception. The winds from California have brought down the cold water and the pelagic fish have moved on. The locals down there claim the winds drop off about Easter. The pargo lisa [mullet snapper] and yellowtails are moving into the LaPaz area now. Both species can be great sport. I usually hold off until late April or early May...this year, I'm scheduled for late May and early June to take advantage of my partnere 's work schedule and to participate in a local tournament.

Summer is good but hot.....October and November are also great!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We fished Lorreto years ago, and had a geret time.
We went during the easter break, as my fishing buddy was a bilogy teacher.
Not crowded, and very good guidse.
Booked through Fishing Internatioal
CHEAP, too!!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B2

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Loreto is a good fishing spot...[also the hotspot for desert sheep] .....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
VernAK,have you ever fished out of San Jose del Cabo?I realize that I won't be down there in prime time but I'd still like to wet a line! Thanks,Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
L
Ldn Offline
L
Monashee, I've fished out of Cabo a couple times recently. We fished mid Feb last year, and did ok, raising 5 stripe marlin and landing 2. We also did ok on Sierra's a different day as well. For the marlin, we fished with Pisce's Sportfishing and hired out the boat "Andrea" with capt Ramon. I think a full day ran us between $400-$500, but that included everything. I've not had good luck for marlin during a full moon, but maybe that's just me.

VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Monashee,

Yes, I have fished from Cabo and San Jose del Cabo......there is a lot of good fishing down there but I have never hooked up with the right outfit ....I always got the run-around....buy bait from the cousin.....fish close-in to save fuel....inconsistent etc. Frankly, I have better luck with outfits owned and operated by a gringo.....

I have found the area North of the East Cape to be very fishy and the captains are no-nonsense, hard working guys....this area is mostly around Muertos Bay and the South end of Cerralvo Island. The East Cape resort boats fish there a lot.
I don't usually fish directly out of LaPaz Harbor....we take a van out to Muertos Bay.....that puts us a very short distance from fishing and provides more options should the wind be a problem.

I seldom target marlin anymore as I have caught quite a few and to me they detract from my time to fish more interesting specie. Tuna can be difficult to target because any large school of tuna will attract a purse seiner that cleans the area of tuna.

The Cerralvo area is probably the best for roosterfish and mullet snapper. Cubera snapper and wahoo are my favorite to fish and to eat.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 53 invisible), 2,032 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.