Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Huge thanks to member 85win, who found an NIB Browning low wall in 22 hornet for me at a local dealer. Wood is pretty nice. I had to clean off some old oil, as this gun had been sitting in box for at least a decade.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't they look so nice!

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Very Nice! Pictures would come out better on a neutral background, but it looks like there is some nice figure in the wood.

Mine had a 3x9 Vari-X II on it when I got it. Makes a nicely balanced package. If it wasn't so cold this weekend, I would get it out and do some shooting. Oh, well; maybe next weekend. I should do some reloading anyway. I have a pound of lil gun that I've been meaning to try.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Tod,

Those are sweet lil' rifles. I have a Leupold 6x Compact AO on mine, and I can't imagine a better combination. smile If it shoots as well as mine, you'll never regret buying it.

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
STOP it! Makes me miss my 243.....

IC B2

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I need to work on the whole photography thing.

I dropped a Leupold EFR 3-9x onto the hornet, as I had on laying around. I wanted something with a parallax for under 100 yards if required.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks real nice, Tod.

That will have to be a real fun rifle.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
That looks to be a real nice piece of lumber on that Low Wall, but the Browning dark stain and epoxy finish are hiding the best part of it. I recommend you have that expoy finish stripped and a good oil type finish applied. Here's how mine turned out after I had it done:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I expect to see you at the range with that beauty when the snow clears---sometime in May if it keeps up. smile

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tod
Huge thanks to member 85win, who found an NIB Browning low wall in 22 hornet for me at a local dealer. Wood is pretty nice. I had to clean off some old oil, as this gun had been sitting in box for at least a decade.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Oh my. That is absolutely gorgeous.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B3

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am seriously considering the oil rub, but I don;t know if i am up to the task. I may just buy a replacement stock from Brownells, and send the original out for refinishing. There's a local; guy who's really good, if you don't mind waiting a year or two.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Tod
I am seriously considering the oil rub, but I don;t know if i am up to the task. I may just buy a replacement stock from Brownells, and send the original out for refinishing. There's a local; guy who's really good, if you don't mind waiting a year or two.

Try Harvey King at HK Custom Guns. He did the refinish work and the recoil pad installation on my .260. Does great work, price is reasonable, and he is a great guy. As I recall, I waited 6 weeks to get mine back. Well worth it!

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tod

Who's the local guy (Helena)?

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I can never remember his name, at Frontier Gun Shop on Montana.

I think I may take the Low Wallt to capital and have them K-hornetize it. an't make up my mind if I should leave it as is or not.

Any opinions?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Todd,

There is no WAY in heck I would EVER consider running a K- Hornet reamer through that Browning(or in any other Hornet for that matter).

Why?

In 1947 the K Hornet was needed.In 2007 is not.

During the last ten years I have owned three Browning 1885 Hornets. With partially neck sized fireformed brass, loaded with LILGUN powder and the bullet the gun like, I cannot see ANY advantage to a K Hornet in terms of accuracy, velocity OR case life. with the LILGUN and the neck sized brass case life is great and using 40g V-max bullets, accuracy ,trajectory and killing power to well past 200 yards was superb.

Every 1885 Browning Low wall I owned in .22Hornet.,223 and 243 was capable of 1/2MOA groups when fed properly.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all

I think I'm going to leave the gun as is. If case life is no longer and issue, why change?

J
J
Beautiful rifle. It is hard to do any better than the Browning High Wall / Low Wall. Lee Shaver is the best gunsmith & shooter I know and he has told me they shoot as well as any rifle he can build and as well as anything costing $3000 and up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tod
I can never remember his name, at Frontier Gun Shop on Montana.

I think I may take the Low Wallt to capital and have them K-hornetize it. an't make up my mind if I should leave it as is or not.

Any opinions?

Oh you mean Dennis, Arnie from Capital Sport's brother. Yup, he's good.

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Brothers? That's interesting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Go with the oil rubbed re-finish!! I hate that plastic looking Browning finish, and it looks like you have nice grain in that stock.

Todd

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
167 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.