-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have been looking for loading data for 3 and 3 1/2 intch 12ga. hulls. I'm wundering if buying a convertion for a reloader would be worth it.<BR>, thanks

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't have any experience loading 3 or 3 1/2 inch shells; but, looking at my 2 3/4 inch press I don't believe it could be converted to load longer shell. A 3 inch press could be easily converted to load 2 3/4 inch shells IMO. <P>Load data books are usually stocked or are available from the dealer who stocks reloading supplies.<P>An avid waterfowler, I just never got into the 3 or 3 1/2 inch craze. Steel shot and lead shot will never perform the same. I am just more selective with my shots and my freezer has never gone wanting for anything.<P>Hope this helps.<P>Wall

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I need Guns:<P>Check out <A HREF="http://www.ballisticproducts.com." TARGET=_blank>www.ballisticproducts.com.</A> It is pretty much the holy grail for long range, waterfowl type shotgunning loads. I haven't personally reloaded any 3 1/2 inchers since I have been able to buy some decent steel shells in that grade on closeout a couple of times, and have not felt the need.<P>Wall:<P>You are right about steel and lead, and you are also right that steel kills them dead, it is not worse at closer ranges, just different and probably a little tougher to shoot as well, due to less pattern stringing and denser shot clusters. But it will cripple badly if you don't center the bird. I always carry a handful of the cheap, smallest steel shot size I can find for cripples. Head shots are about the only way with steel with a duck on the water. Since, worse luck, I am dogless at this time, if his head comes up, I shoot him again, right then.<P>Check out the site above, they have a new product out, called hevi-shot, should be absolutely wonderful for long range shooting.<BR>Heavier than lead, with less deformation, reports extremely good pattern density at much longer ranges. I haven't tried any yet, but certainly will this fall in Canada when duck season rolls around. Only 4 months now, Ha.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well thanks for that link

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

IMHO RSI is much better for high speed steel loads.
<br>If you want to reload 3.5 you need a Steelmaster(at least in MEC). I bought a Steelmaster but found that if you load your own the only advantage 3.5 has over 3 is shot weight. If your gun patterns well you don't need 1 9/16 oz of shot.
<br>
<br>http://www.alliantpowder.com/
<br>
<br>http://www.reloadingspecialties.com/

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,124
Posts18,464,622
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.