Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
ARMJR Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hunting season's about over and the water's starting to warm up down here. It's about time to tie on a watermelon seed worm!<P>armjr<BR>

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Armjr,<P>Hello. I am taking up bass fishing this summer. My dad and I used to just do the trout/salmon thing. I am open to any and all tips you have to offer. Any suggestions on a rod and reel combo under $100?<P>Wade

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
A
ARMJR Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Wade,<P>If you're going to get into bass fishing you're going to have to get over the money thing. By the time you're outfitted right you'll undersatnd the old saying that a "Bass Boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into". <P>Seriously, as a starter I would say get a Name brand baitcasting reel on sale at academy or Oshmans or some other large chain. They disontinue models and sell them cheap. Then for a rod get an "Ugly Stick" in a medium action straight handle. I like the nbreakable feature of these rods. <P>Then get a reg tackle box and a bunch of those clear plastic trays with lids for your worms. A spinner box is good too if you have extra room.<P>More later. <P>armjr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wade, a good Garcia 3 or 4 ball bearing casting reel will cost you $60 to $90 at Wally World, and here they are discontinuing the Renagade graphite and selling them out for $13, a steal for that rod. I have graphites that cost $100 and more but look for the lightest weight rod, medium or heavy action you can afford, also pick a small spool reel for bass fishing, one that just holds 100 - 125 yards of line in the weight line you will be using. Now if this rod and reel will be a combination and used on heavy fish buy larger. Questions, just ask, there are enough bass fishermen here to answer. Like hunting and rifles, fishing rods and reels are a matter of choice. Northern states have smaller fish and can take lighter tackle and line, in the South with warmer weather most of the year bass grow larger. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
no bass yet...

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Caught a good mess in my pond, 1/4 stick dynamite worked for me. LOL

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bass fishing around here is really starting to pick up.I have been catching a lot of bass this last week.The bass are starting to prepare the beds.The largest one caught so far this year is 4 pounds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He did pretty good, eh?<P> [Linked Image] <P>The spawn is ON!<P><p>[This message has been edited by RickBin (edited April 18, 2001).]

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I went Bass fishing yesterday.I fished at Lake Greenwood,S.C. I caught 13 bass the largest was 5 pounds 6 ounces and the even the smallest was over 1 pound.The spawn is really picking up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
195 members (257 roberts, 12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.