Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
badger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Seems that Need One & I were about the only nuts who talked (on occasion) about bass fishing and bassboats on the old <A HREF="http://www.webbieisabutthead.com" TARGET=_blank>www.webbieisabutthead.com</A> board. Anyone else a confirmed hunter AND boatracer/bassnut? [Linked Image] badger.<P>------------------<BR>Happiness is a bughole...

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

GB2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
not a bass nut but did go to the boat/bass show here in town last weekend. Bought my first ever "bass rig" a 6' pole med wt, with one of those new fangled bait cranks on it, for about $40. The crank looks like a slightly flattened egg to me. (used to the Zebco special! for my brim fishing!) I got some friends who do lots of bass fishing. One is my boss (not real friend just work friend!) and other is real friend, who I work with.<P>Anywhoo... What lure would you recommend for a REAL BASS rookie to start with? I love fly fishing, and crappie fishing.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good Morning Guys, -- blammer, I would recommend you start with 1/4 OZ spinner bait Chartreuse and white skirt, you can fish this in all kinds of water, shallow or deep and it doesn't hang up on timber and pads. I would also go with a Red Rattle Trap crank bait 1/4 OZ for the spring spawn, a plastic lizard 6" or worm works well on the nesting fish. I personally don't fish the nesting females even if they are the largest fish. Good luck and tight lines. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Badger, -- just bought a new "Tournament" battery for the trolling motor and cleaned out the water,(condensation) from the gas tanks. Getting ready for the staging fish, holding in the deeper water for the warm up to move into the spawning grounds. February is the big bass month in this area. So far it has been very slow here, one of the brave guides here is only catching a couple of fish a day. I will probably wait another week before jumping out there. Our club fished a tournament on Twakoni last week end and I went to the gun show in Dallas. Don't know how many fish they caught yet but last month on another cold water lake they only caught two small fish. These cold winter months is the time to fish our warm water power plant lakes, some of the guys keep voting in the wrong lakes to fish. Dang, I'm getting the bug just talking about it, if it wasn't raining this morning I would go wash off some lures right now. -- no

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I was going to post and ask how Fork's running but see you already have the scoop up on the board here. Will probably try to make it to Fork or R.C. sometime in the next couple of weeks with some clients.<P>Took the kids to a local pond last weekend for some panfish and cats. I've got a 6 year old girl and twin boys that turned 3 Jan 28th. Got the boys each 3 foot poles and Zebco 202s to start with. All they want to do is cast and reel (like about 100 times in a row) so I guess they are ready for topwaters. [Linked Image]<BR>

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Loved to fish as kid but haven't done much since I started college. Finally got a truck that I can pull dad's fishing boat with so I plan on getten after them once the weather warms up. Love boat riding. Some of happiest times in my life have come behind the wheel of a boat.

badger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hi NO, <P>Saw your post on the Big Game board. I have a Skeeter 150ZX with Yamaha Pro-V 150. 1995 model boat & motor. Motor now has about 1850 hrs on it. Repairs so far are 2 set of fuel pump diaphragms, 1 waterpump rebuild (preventive maintenance), 2 set s plugs & annual lower unit oil changes. I run synthetic 2 cycle & lower unit oils & have had no oil related problems. <BR>The lake I fish most often is Lake Sidney Lanier northeast of Atlanta. Is is considered a relatively deep clear lake (up to 230 ft depth at dam area). Lure type depends on the season. Most reliable producers are plastic worms & jigs, small crankbaits & top-water )My favorite. We have spotted bass, large mouth, stripers, crappie, walleye, catfish & bream at Lanier. Lake record Striper is just over 49 lbs, spotted bass about 8.5 lbs. Largest fish for species that I have caught on Lanier was a 4.2 lb crappie. Measured 15.5". Largest fish I have caught on Lanier was 22.5 lb striper. badger [Linked Image]<P>------------------<BR>Procrastinate NOW!!!

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just upgraded my boat and have considered delving into bass fishing. You might remember that I recently solicited advice on what kind of a bass setup to get my dad for Christmas. Well, he got a Loomis MBR somethin' or 'nuther with a Shimano Citica reel. We're are looking forward to getting it wet! I am looking forward to absorbing some of the knowledge that gets passed around here!!<P>Wade

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Waders, -- you got two strikes against you already,--- you been listning to Shiester. Told you Ambassador was the way to go. [Linked Image] It has been raining off and on here for three days and weather guy says three more to come. Everything full and running over, fish not doing anything around here yet. Badger, -- My last new bass boat was a 18'Powercat with 135 Mercury and it sets on the lot, didn't use it and steering cable froze up. My partner has an Infinity with a 150 Evenrude on it and it hasn't been in the water in three years, we fish out of a Skeeter 15' Metro stick steering with a 65 Mercury most of the time or a 14' flat bottom Lowe Line rigged for bass fishing with 25 Johnson. When I discovered a high dollar boat doesn't catch fish and I don't have to impress anyone I quit buying boats,(only have ten), from two man to the Powercat. All old like me but water worthy and ready to fish anytime anywhere. Most of the lakes we fish here are stump infested and the smaller boats do the job best. When the stumps are just under the water a large boat will wear you out trying to get off the stumps if you don't drive off with the big motor. We have a lot of Hydrilla here and a flatbottom will get over it best and you can fish the holes. -- no

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
You boys are making me sick! AAll the hunting seasons have ended here, and nothing to do but reload ammo and scan through Cabela's and Bass Pro catalogs. I'd get out the boat but it won't settle into the lake for the ice. Hell of a time to try working a stickbait too! I run an Astro basser with a 115HP Mercury when the ice thins out. Our bass fishing is mainly for smallmouth in deep resovoirs where I live. I also fly fish the rivers when I'm not in the boat. I enjoy fishing for about anything but those smallies are my favorite. Nothing like a sending down a deep jig and feeling that pull on the end of the line! Now that you got me going, I'll have to dig out that fishing program to settle myself down. You southerners enjoy! Glad to hear there are some other bassers out there. A few more months and off I go. By the way I do live near that rotten grounhog Punxsutawney Phil. I loaded up some .223 blitzkings last night with his name on them. Rick

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Need One,<P>You remembered! Yes you did recommend the Ambassador, but I got such a good deal on the Shimano I had to go with it. Anyway, with our status as "Rank Amatuers" I am sure we can fail to catch fish with any reel! I'll keep you updated on our progress. Dad is heading for Arizone for two months to get some sun and see the Mariners at spring training. Bass fishing will have to wait until then apparently.<P>Wade

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wade, -- our season is just about to kick off here, this is supposed to be the big bass month, sows waiting to spawn, but nothing happening yet. I tried to start the motor on the Skeeter this evening and it blew up, smoke coming from under the cowling, I hit the starter again to suck the flame out and suceeded. Seem as if I had a gas leak between the pump and filter. No damage done will repair the leak in the line and be ready to go. Motor started great and yelling let's go. Micro switch went out on trolling motor sitting through the winter. I will be ready to go by Monday. Can't wait to get back on the water, just think, vienna sausage, sardines, bologona, crackers, hot thermos coffee, and washing off all those high dollar plugs, hopeing for that big one. -- no

A
A
I've got three sons, hunters, fishermen, and gentlemen all. We hunt for what's movin and fish for what's bitin. We have Bass Pro Shop cataloges from 1990 that we still look at and all since then too. There are those who would say we're obsessive but we outnumber her four to one. We do clean up the yard and take out the trash but she knows it's only because we're going hunting/fishing the next day.<P>armjr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
armjr, -- my trash day is Wednesday, but I fish when it's not too hot or windy. Lake ramp 3 miles others any direction close by. -- no

A
A
I've never been to Fork when it's been hot but I've been there when it was windy. rough way to catch a fish. That lake gets rough. I keep waiting for a stump to appear through the bottom of the boat.<P>armjr

TTS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All of you from the southern staes are lucky. I have to wait 2 more months just to see open water. It is actually fairly warm today, low 30s. When I look out my back window, I can see people fishing. Ice fishing that is. Oh well, this gives me time to get everything ready for spring. I will be sending in my entry fees soon. By the way, I run a Triton TR17 with a 115 Evinrude Intruder. TTS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 683 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.