24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
After running outboard motors since dirt was invented I learned a new lesson about starting up a motor that has set all winter. I have a 65HP Mercury on a small 15' Skeeter Bass Boat. I drained all the gas and condensation out of the gas tank, filled it with fresh gas and oil,(mix), drained the hose and hooked it to the motor, had battery all charged and ready. Lifted the choke, turned the key and starter kicked in spinning the motor, just as it started, it exploded. Popped the front plate out on the cowling and was on fire inside the cowl, smoke pouring out, I hit the key again starting the motor again and revved it up sucking the flames out. I removed the cowl and found a gas line leak between fuel pump and filter, would spray a fine mist when the pump was working. LESSON, always remove cowling and inspect before starting up a stored motor,(engine). -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
GB2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
talk about starting the season off with a BANG!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good idea! Mine hasn't been in the water for about 7 months now. (The drought has kept the lake down 15-18 feet.) badger.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Badger, -- we had low lakes for a couple of summers, on the way to Quitman this morning I pass below the dam of Lake Fork and all five spillways were open and the bottom land flooded. Hope the fish turn on this year. The lakes being low for so long, grass and brush grew up around the banks and I am hopeing the cover and alge will provide food and cover for the fry this year. Will keep you posted how the fishing progresses. You might want to come catch a bigun. 38 of the top 50 record state fish have been caught out of this lake. It is rumored the Sabine River Authority,(controling body for this lake), poisoned out the Hydrilla and moss and caused the fish die off a couple of years ago. Same thing happened to Twakoni several years ago and the empty drums were found, killed out all the moss and grass along with the bass. We have lost most of the Hydrilla in the lower part of the lake but back in the coves in the upper end there is a little. -- no

A
A
Need one, poisoning hydrilla is the quickest way to screw up the bass fishing there is. They did it to our little lake here last year and the fishing was so bad that I didn't even go. WE switched to salt water all last year. It was pathetic. They knock the hydrilla out down here to enhance the lake for the jet skiers and other whatnot. <P>We went to Fork 2 years ago and just happened to hit the last cold front so it was slow going. Got a couple of 5 #ers but nothing big. Only thing we could catch a fish on was water dogs. I don't usually fish live bait but it's a good 9 hour drive to not catch fish. <P>What is it looking like this year?<P>armjr<p>[This message has been edited by ARMJR (edited February 21, 2001).]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
ARMJR, -- haven't been out this year but soon as the weather breaks I will keep you posted. They say the Crappie are doing well right now. They have all five spillways open lowering the lake now and it is supposed to rain again tonight. I am getting antsy, new reel and rod new 17 pound line, throws like a dream, I want to play!!!! -- no

P
P
NO, I have an uncle that lives on Lake Tawakoni. He loves to fish for catfish there. <P>I'd sure like to visit Lake Fork someday. Might have to drag my old boat down there some time and wet a hook. It'd be summer before I could get there though. How's midsummer fishing on that lake?<BR>BKB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 86 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.