Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Wall Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A friend of mine suffered a stroke last year leaving him paralyzed on the left side. I'm looking for any info as to a rod holder that can be slipped over the head, rest on the chest and capable of holding the rod while reeling in a fish.<BR>Any info would be appreciated.<P>Thanks<BR>Wall<P>------------------<BR>"...please be with me in all that I do, and keep me from all evil and disaster!"<BR>I Chronicles 4:10

GB2

M
M
Hmmm,<P>I don't know if they sell such an item, but it might be possible to make one. I'm no expert here but some ideas come to mind. A piece of pvc pipe could be mounted to a wide leather belt or on some strong article of clothing in the right position. This would be where the rod butt goes when your friend hooks the fish. We'd need to hold the rod steady to reel in the fish so maybe a clamp of some sort... or even better, cut a notch that the trigger grip of a baitcasting rod can slide into, if you get the size just right it would hold the rod firmly... you could even cut it oversize and attatch rubber to the sides so it'll grip nicely and not damage the rod. The pvc would have to have a neck strap for support... maybe even a rod for stability... I don't know.. you'd have to experiment, but I think it could be done... You might even be able to hook it up to the point that your friend can "play" a fish using his body to work the rod. <P>Alternately you might be able to use a hooksetter to hold the rod while your friend reels in the fish, might even set the hook for him if your friend doesn't mind.<P>Hope this helps,<BR>Mark

T
T
Is that Mark as in Skeetermark?<P>Anyway, advice on this subject would be tough to give not knowing the specifics of the limitations of the angler. As far as building a rod holder to use for still fishing live bait, I would think a standard rod holder meant to be mounted on the side of a boat would work to hold the rod. You might want to secure the rod with a strap of somekind. <P>If the guy is planning on fishing artificials, that's a whole other horse. They do make an electric reel system made to fit an ABU 4500 or 5500 series reel. Possibly, it would be better to hold the rod with the good arm and do the reeling with the electric reel. You would probably need to wire in a power source to the trolling batteries for longer trips. I have seen these electric apparatus in Cabellas and Bass Pro over time. <P>Skipper

M
M
Nope, it's not SkeeterMark, it's just Mark. I was just trying to give some vague ideas on how he might accomplish his goal... I've thought of it even further and have more ideas if he wants to go the build yourself route..<P>Mark

Wall Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Mark and Skipper:<P>I appreciate the ideas and info; however, his son found a website from an outfit over in England that not only makes the rod holders but the electric reels also.<P>It is taking him a little time to get use to it but he is fishing again.<P>Thanks again <P>Wall

IC B2

M
M
Hey Wall,<P>I'm glad things are working out for your friend. I couldn't imagine not being able to fish at all...<P>Mark

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,121 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.