Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
MR does not list any "Works/Mystery Ranch" packs on their site. However, they can be found on retail sites. Is this something that MR is allowing their name to be put on, or are they truly MR packs? Anybody know?

The Works/MR Cakewalk has got me thinkin....

"It has been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well." T. Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It appears that the Works series of packs are not a USA made product but bear the Works @ Mystery Ranch logo. Couldn't find much on them either but there are several sites selling those packs. Here's what I found on the MR site.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're MR designs, made off-shore so they don't have to hire any more Americans to sell them laugh

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Interesting. That explains why the retail on a Works/MR Cakewalk is exactly half of the MR Deluxe. Otherwise, they seem like comparable packs.

"It has been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well." T. Roosevelt
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't heard any real complaints about build quality, so they may well be stout, for all I know. I do have a hard time including them in that elite bunch who keep their business on-shore when they pull that stuff.

Edit to clarify: I buy plenty of stuff that wasn't made in the U.S. It's unavoidable in many regards. I guess I add a bit of commentary to the fact that some of these outfits made their label on the sheer fact that they were made here, then slowly move offshore with the hope that the reputation goes with it.

Last edited by stillhunter73; 01/30/08.
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
They are made overseas. Same as the MR Camelback NICE packs. From what I understand, they did this to keep up with demand, and provide a more affordable pack. I used to have one the Works packs, the quality was fine. I would not lump them in with other companies that make everything overseas. They still have their base in Bozeman, and make good quality made in the USA packs. they employ local people and give them health benefits as well. Not an easy task in todays world. I visited the shop this summer. It was 98 degrees outside, probably warmer inside and the guys were busting their asses to get packs made and shipped out. Yet, one gladly offered to help me out and show me around the store. As far as I can tell, they are a fine example of an american company. They just can't keep up with demand for their fine packs and not everyone is willing to pay top dollar for a made in america pack.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The MR folks are great. I'm not beating on them. I do have concern about the offshore division. As well made as those seem to be, I worry that they could eventually negate demand for the American stuff. I'm probably paranoid.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Everybody knows of my total admiration for MR in all respects, so, all I will say is that Chawn's concern is valid and one I share. We ARE losing a LOT of skilled and manufacturing jobs to China, etc. and we SHOULD take action to stop this!

North American workers have a right to a decent job and life and if I have to pay more, I will, quality, service and "downhome" people are important to me.

R
R
Looks like they're giving you a choice. Vote with your money. Dana Gleason understands pack design and production like you wouldn't believe. His Bozeman built packs have always been beyond impeccable. Not that I'd be afraid of anything he puts his name on. I worked for Mr. Gleason back in the glory days of Dana Design, and our Montana produced packs were the best built outdoor gear I've ever seen, period.

Last edited by ropegun; 01/31/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,155
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.