Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've got a copy and like it more today than I did previously.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In 2006, I sent Sam a Christmas Card just to say "thanks" for his numerous contributions to traditional black powder shooting. He responded with a very nice letter and photos. I have never had the pleasure of meeting him, but have profited from his literary contributions for several years. Mr.Fadala is a class act in my book and I wish him well.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of my favorite authors, his 22 book is one of the best.

I believe he's been doing more traditional archery writing as of late.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 33806

I believe that somewhere I read that an updated Black Powder Handbook is comming out or just released by Sam Fadala.
nelson

I have his "Book of The Twenty-Two", "Blackpowder Handbook", "Blackpowder Loading Manual" and "Black Powder Hobby Gunsmithing".

Updates on all the last three would be terrific and could fill several chapters. Since their publications, new developements in the field of primitive firearms have been many.

Steve
-----------------------------------
"Boys enjoy the misery of their companions and in later life I have found that all adults are not free from that peculiarity."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was delighted to see my friend Sam several times at the SHOT Show � but never long enough for any extended conversation.

� He's busy, of course.

� Has dual citizenship now � USA and South Africa.

� US home is in Wyoming.

I let him know that his Campfire fans have been asking about him, interested in what he's been doing.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Was delighted to see my friend Sam several times at the SHOT Show � but never long enough for any extended conversation.

� He's busy, of course.

� Has dual citizenship now � USA and South Africa.

� US home is in Wyoming.

I let him know that his Campfire fans have been asking about him, interested in what he's been doing.

Glad to hear Mr. Fadala is doing well.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks Ken, great to know he is active, and sound as if enjoying life, smile !!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
excellent.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had the very distinct pleasure of meeting Sam at one of our local gun shows. We had a very pleasant discussion about guns and hunting, and I even bought some of the stuff he was selling off his table, four boxes of Speer Nitrex ammo in .308 Win. He is definitely a gentleman of the first water.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any news about Sam F?

Always enjoyed his articles.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got his M94 book, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't been brave enough to use some of his loads though! Interesting writing style, and an experimenter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I assume you are referring to the Swede? IIRC, in the book, "ALL About Mausers" or something like that, they talk about the M94, 96, etc. running proof loads of around 67,000 if not mistaken, not sure if that is CUP or PSI. JB might chime in if he's reading.

I can attest to reforming some 25-06 Hornady and some 270 Hornady.......capacity varied greatly between the two Suffice to say my O.D. on the neck was discovered to be .310, specs call for .297 from memory...as MAX. In essense my loads were 'crimped' not allowing the bullet to easily leave the case, not to mention using brass from another round, with different head size, etc. I almost welded my action shut, cracked the threads on the bullet as the cock on close striker blew back hard when the gas blew the primer and I believe all around the case head. I would fathom that round was 70-80k or more..........I was VERY lucky. ONLY used proper Swede brass after that.......that gun got a new bolt and headspace.

That said, I ran 4831 with 120 and 140 corelokts back then. Had 2 sporterized M96s, one I left alone, later got a 700 Classic.

The great thing about the Swede, yes the steel is somewhat soft, but not brittle like say some Enfields which would rupture with high pressure.

So I think the Swedes probably take more pressure than some might think, NOT suggesting over loads, but I think some underestimate their ability to digest decent loads. IIRC, those actions do lack the 98 third 'safety lug' - so they dont' have that backup...in case.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think he was referring to Fadala's book on the 94 Winchester.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are correct, the book on the 94 Winchester wtitten by Sam Fadala.

B
B
Sorry to dredge up an old post but…Sam was my dad’s hunting partner when they were young. Most of my dad’s stories started out, “me and Sammy were…”. I’ve seen my grandfather mentioned in some of Sam’s articles; Cliff Black. I’m just wondering if he is still around. I have a picture of Sam’s buck from the early 60’s I think. It’s a little forked horn mulie. Anyways, if anyone knows anything I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Went down the Google trail. Best I can figure he is still with us, at 84 years of age.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Went down the Google trail. Best I can figure he is still with us, at 84 years of age.

Which is what I came up with as well--but haven't seen or heard from Sam for years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
His black powder handbook has been invaluable to me. I haven't read his other books, but have enjoyed some of his articles and I think he's authored some addendums in loading manuals too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got his book 'The Book Of The Twenty Twos'. Well written and a good retrospective, as well.

Forbidden Zoner
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Blackco,

The last address I have for Sam was Hanna, Wyoming.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (257 roberts, 35, 10Glocks, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,699
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.