-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What annoyed me about Burris was that it took over 8 weeks to get my scope back! I sent it in (2x7 Compact) because it had little flecks of stuff floating around inside that would show up. You could whack it and they'd go away, or maybe more would show up, so you'd keep whackin' it till it was clear.

Anyway they kept saying they'd be shipping it tomorrow... once at about week 5 they even said they HAD shipped it. That kind of stuff is really annoying.

Both times I sent something to Loopy it was back in my hands in a WEEK, and that's counting shipping both ways!

I do like Burris scopes, and I shouldn't probably be bitchin' about their service so much, but... take it for what it's worth. One person's bad experience.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My personal experience is the Burris Posi-lock does work if the scope is struck and under heavy recoil.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ok. My understanding is that they did indeed develop the Posi-Lock addition from the breakdowns their customers had with their heavier brass tubes. They, back then, took great pride in telling us all how much stronger their scopes were and showing us in their ads, etc. the differences to back up their point(s). The trouble was that this simply wasn't the case. Their scopes broke down much more readily than they had with their older designs. Sounded and looked good, but didn't work. That's what happens when you don't test your stronger appearing designs under recoil.
So they came out with Posi-Lock. That was suppose to work too. It didn't. They forgot, or didn't realize, the cumulative nature that recoil has on the insides of a scope. The pieces need to be able to flex/shift and return to where they were. If you lock some of them in place, all that does is add strain to them and they break down, loose their ability to return to their former positions, all the faster.
The proof ? Burris went back to their lighter designs. Some of their scopes today have held up surprisingly well to careful and knowledgable testers like Barsness. And nobody has adopted their ideas. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The posi lock works,no one has copied it because it is patented,although Pentax has made a version under liscence from Burris.

One of the guys here who is a booking agent or PH in Africa has posted a lot about how well it works on his big bores. I don't know anybody who has not had good results from it.

E, have you ever used a scope with posi lock on a big bore?

I have and I'm happy with mine.

Britt

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Posi-Lock works - I have personally used the same Burris Scope with Posi-Lock on several heavy recoiling rifles. I used it; I didn't rely on what others wrote. Posi-Lock works.

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I understand Cecil Tucker does the same sort of thing for the scopes he modifies. Apparently his locking system doesn't work either.
You say you put it on a heavy recoiling rifle and it works ? OK. Tell me, how many rds. did it go until it let go vs. how many rds. did the non Posi-Lock Burris of the same type go before it broke down ? And, last of all, how many rds. did a similar size Leupold go before it let go ? I'd be very interested in the results of your recoil testing.
The only recoil testing I've ever seen in print were those done by John Barsness, which included a couple of non Posi-Lock Burris's, and Ray Atkinson's tests on small scopes. BTW, Barsness thinks highly of the Burris Safari and the FFII's. But I've never seen him say anything in print about their optional Posi-Lock feature.
I have not used any Burris Posi-Lock scopes on any heavy kickers. Funny thing is my local custom gun maker who hunts with one of Burris's vice presidents and recommends them for his customers, doesn't recommend any Posi-Lock scopes to his customers. Most of whom have him build them very light magnum rifles. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I understand Cecil Tucker does the same sort of thing for the scopes he modifies. Apparently his locking system doesn't work either.

I believe this is the second time I've seen you say this. You were asked the first time upon what factual basis you made the statement. It turned out then you had merely pulled it directly from your posterior. A bottomless well, so it seems.

I guess I'll never understand, much less respect, a guy who will just make something up and spread it around as fact. Especially something defamatory to somebody else and his business. A pretty [bleep] thing to do if you ask me.

BTW, both IOR and US Optics use a similar concept in some of their tactical scopes with additional springs at that location. It certainly does help tracking.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
E-
I'm pretty sure Barness is sick and tired of you clogging up his rear-end with your head!

I like Leuplods a lot but there are other good scopes out there. Posi-lock does indeed work for those who don't twist turrets while hunting.

My Burris that went bad was also a "compact" model (4-12)

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
swarovski uses a patented 4 point coil spring which barnness has stated repeatedly that it is very reliable

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I happen to know a couple of rimfire benchrest competitors. None of them could tell me just how much better Cecil's conversions work.
I understand the latest fad amonmg the benchrest crowd is freezing the scopes internal adjustments and going to external adjustments. That tells me the fancy locking system that Cecil designed really doesn't work.
Last of all, when asked to include some sort of locking design on their benchrest series scopes, Leupold refused. Why ? They have given the benchrest crowd everything else they asked for.
I believe that Leupold probably considered it and decided such a design created more problems than it solved. E

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I happen to know some hunters. They use lever actions. That tells me right there those fancy bolt action systems don't really work.

Last of all, because Leupold doesn't do it, it must not work.

That's all you've got, E? That's called talking out of your [backside]. You have not one single bit of evidence to back up your claim.

Then again, why would I expect you to....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like leupolds but there are BETTER scopes, there just are..it may come at a higher price but ....

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Jon, You should know better. Other than the obvious facts that E is the ONLY individual on the planet who is capable of properly focusing a scope and he has exclusive hunting rights to the harshest hunting conditions on the entire planet there are some things he doesn't boast about. He hasn't told how he's schooled Tony B and his heavy varmint rig with his UL hunting rifle in both group and score. Next time you attend the SuperShoot, look for JB, underneath of him wearing a butthair toupe with his fur laiden eye protection and utilizing the JB snorkel will be E schooling those BR Hall of Famer's on how to do things the right way.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I happen to know a couple of rimfire benchrest competitors. None of them could tell me just how much better Cecil's conversions work.
I understand the latest fad amonmg the benchrest crowd is freezing the scopes internal adjustments and going to external adjustments. That tells me the fancy locking system that Cecil designed really doesn't work.
Last of all, when asked to include some sort of locking design on their benchrest series scopes, Leupold refused. Why ? They have given the benchrest crowd everything else they asked for.
I believe that Leupold probably considered it and decided such a design created more problems than it solved. E

No it doesn�t. It tells you they can strip more off the scope and make it lighter by getting rid of the turrets and all slip shod crap leuppy puts in there, gluing the erector in place and using external adjustments. Mr. Tucker�s locking system works just fine.

Wrong again.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You say you put it on a heavy recoiling rifle and it works ? OK. Tell me, how many rds. did it go until it let go vs. how many rds. did the non Posi-Lock Burris of the same type go before it broke down ? And, last of all, how many rds. did a similar size Leupold go before it let go ? I'd be very interested in the results of your recoil testing.
The only recoil testing I've ever seen in print were those done by John Barsness, which included a couple of non Posi-Lock Burris's, and Ray Atkinson's tests on small scopes. BTW, Barsness thinks highly of the Burris Safari and the FFII's. But I've never seen him say anything in print about their optional Posi-Lock feature.
I have not used any Burris Posi-Lock scopes on any heavy kickers. Funny thing is my local custom gun maker who hunts with one of Burris's vice presidents and recommends them for his customers, doesn't recommend any Posi-Lock scopes to his customers. Most of whom have him build them very light magnum rifles. E

What a joke. YOU asking for scientific evidence when a couple of rimfire shooters talking about the "latest fad" is enough for you to defame one of the most innovative people in Benchrest.

Bring it Sitka Deer. I'm ready. Defend your boy now.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Actual testing to develop analytical data rather that unfounded opinions. What a novel approach.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (44mc, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 17 invisible), 1,710 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,239
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.