Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
This will probably get a lot of replies. That is why it is here. I think that a slug would be better for longer ranges, and perhaps buck would work at close range. I dunno, but it is here to maybe get this board up and running.

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I consider buckshot to be useful and valueable at bow ranges, and that is about it. I don't get patterns I would like to use on a deer past 30yds.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I use Brennekees all the time. Work great at all ranges from deer all the way up to Cape Buffalo<BR>

L
L
Here in Long Island New York we have a three week shotgun deer season in January. We must use slugs only in New York State, buckshot is illegal. I have seen deer shot with all variations of slugs including sabot, Remington copper solids, slugger 2 3/4" as well as 3". All 12 gauge shells worked fine. The 20 gauge sluggers did not produce one shot stops and required tracking. They did not produce heavy blood trails. Both deer that I was involved in tracking were recovered. One other deer that I know of was shot with the 20 gauge but was not recovered. I was not involved with the tracking but know the people involved well. They stated the blood was heavy at first but ran out after a while. I never saw a deer shot with a 16 gauge but would not hesitate to use one.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Here in the south we have a 4.5 month deer season and we run them with dogs. All club members use shotguns and buckshot. Most all of use use 12 guages with tight turey chokes and copper plated buckshot. By playing around with chokes and different brand of buckshot most of us have patterns that will dump a running deer up to 50 yds. or so with regularity.

IC B2

L
L
I would love to have the choice of using buckshot. I have made that suggestion to the conservation department several times. No luck. Most of the deer shot on Long Island during the shotgun season are taken on drives and shot while runing. I think buckshot with tight chokes would work great. I would love to have a dog bring the deer to me. I have to depend on my hunting buddies!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
If you do your job, are reasonably sure where your gun shoots and how it patterns, buckshot is effective out to at least 50 yds. I've taken and seen taken too many deer at this range to doubt buckshot's effectiveness. My advice though if you're going to use buckshot is to use the 3" or 3-1/2" magnums if your gun can handle them. You want to throw as many pellets downrange as possible. Also pattern your gun to see which size gives you the best combination of density with the largest pellets possible. I have nearly always found no. 1 buckshot to meet those requirements.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would use buckshot.I would use a rifle or handgun before I would use a slug.That is why they are called shotguns.I understand that in some states slugs is all that is legal,so I quess in that case I would use them.For everywhere else I would use buckshot.I have seen deer killed up to 80 yards with buckshot,however I would limit my range to about 50 yards.Experiment with diffrent brands and shot sizes to see what patterns the best in your gun.My personal favorite is The 3 inch Winchester copper plated 00 buckshot.This load gives good patterns and gives quick kills.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buckshot is a horribly ineffective crippler of deer at anything beyond 50 yards and that is stretching it, assuming that the shooter would only be using the absolute best shells, knows how to shoot it, and has patterned it in his gun.<P>Dog hunting, where the dogs can find a wounded deer is something of an exception. If anyone has any doubts about this, check out the energy of OO buck at 60 yards and assume that you don't get some extremely lucky hit out of it. Not one of you would use a handgun or rifle round that shot with so little power. Slugs, on the other hand, can be almost or more, depending on what you are comparing it to, accurate than a rifle, and can easily kill deer to 150 yards or more. And, if you make a poor hit, they tend to leave a large blood trail. I urge you to use buckshot only in the most restricted of circumstances.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,399
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.