Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2011596 02/12/08
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I wanted to let you know my opinions were not created by the TV or the DVD`s from the local Wal-Mart.

I decided to take a picture of the samples of ammo and my choke tubes.

I do not want to seem a grumpy old man, but just really do advise, and offer opinions from real time hands on.

I count 40 choke tubes.

[Linked Image]

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tim,
I do not doubt you have some experience. I don't think I ever said anything to that effect. It is (to me personally, others will surely disagree), the way you seem to espouse your experience as fact and disregard others experiences or opinons, that I took exception to. I can be a sarcastic son-of-a-gun when rubbed the wrong way, I'll readily admit that. Just for the record if it matters, I don't dislike you or have any sort of Internet "grudge" against you. I've got a life and realize the low priority of the web overall. I sense you do as well. Have a good day, good hunting this spring, post pic's of those gobblers when you score, and stay safe.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow!!! 40 Turkey choke tubes. I'll have to show the wife. She thinks 4 Turkey tubes in 12ga. and 4 Turkey tubes in 20ga. are too many. Can't wait until the end of March for opening weekend, it'll probably snow on us, as it's done seasons past. grin

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MOGC
Tim,
I do not doubt you have some experience. I don't think I ever said anything to that effect. It is (to me personally, others will surely disagree), the way you seem to espouse your experience as fact and disregard others experiences or opinons, that I took exception to. I can be a sarcastic son-of-a-gun when rubbed the wrong way, I'll readily admit that. Just for the record if it matters, I don't dislike you or have any sort of Internet "grudge" against you. I've got a life and realize the low priority of the web overall. I sense you do as well. Have a good day, good hunting this spring, post pic's of those gobblers when you score, and stay safe.

MOGC, You are a class act, I mean that, know that and also know that this ain't a test of wills and never should be. But know that Tim (whomever in the heck he (or she)is, is trying to purport the sport. You are among those Gents (gentresses), too, no slight meant cause I don't know you so how can this be personal?.

I've got a few dogs in this fight and not about the biggest gun nor Nitros, nor chokes, etc. Not about stalk and ambush, not about,,,,anything but the Birds.

Bought a .20 Ga. Rem, 3" Youth Mdl for my Grandson at Academy last Sat. You tell us what's important, Bro??? Presently, I'm shopping chokes and Nitros. I want him to win. I want him to feel good when he pulls the trigger and sees the flop. Yeah, I admit, I'm a optimizing slut, maybe too much so. But I pay my dues. Willingly.

To wit;
A beautiful day, today, and running ahead of a moving front (lighting, hail, etc.), myself - - and more importantly - - my son-in-law went out this a.m. @ 4 roosted/spooked 4 birds. He is a hardheaded****$#& much like you - wont listen type of guy but very succesful in his chosen field (probably much like you). Predict that he and I will pop one or, hopefully, 2 fine Easterns. We're on'em. Grandson 1st.

We're in this together, MOGC, and it's all for the good of the sport and to my reckoning there's few that compare. You are in that league of contributors and your words matter. Please know that.

Just wanted to say that to you and all here.

OT

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My dog is not really in the fight, but I will make a commit.
I have been shooting shotguns in skeet and trap for well over 15 years. I have been in the shotgun sport game longer than that.

Tim showed me something last year that I was doing wrong. I knew I was taking a shortcut on patterning my gun and did not think it would matter that much. He called me on it, and he was right about the short cut and that it did matter. He was wrong about what my gun liked and did not like. I spent $70 on the shells he said it would like and tried 6 or 7 chokes trying to make it work, but it would not.

I say all of that for a point. I THINK if you see something wrong in my setup of equipment, or technique, point it out. However I have shot more shotgun shells than most will in a lifetime, and have found that shotguns are like rifles, no two are alike. If you pattern your gun with "X" shell and "Y" choke, it will most likely pattern differently in your gun than it does mine. I have seen it with skeet and trap loads over and over.
I had a guy give me his trap load recipe for a "great 1145 FPS load" but when I shot the exact same load over the chrono, I was at 1235 FPS! I even shot a few of his shells with the same results.

I did find the shells that Tim said were good to pattern very well, but not in the gun in question. They work great in another gun with another choke and I will be hunting with them in that gun this year.
I think you have to try and see what your gun likes just like you do in rifles.
I can give you my "pet load" for my 223 but it may not work worth a hoot in your 223 or it may shoot lights out....

I say this to say, have an open mind....

good hunting

Last edited by pullit; 02/12/08.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hunter1960
Wow!!! 40 Turkey choke tubes. I'll have to show the wife. She thinks 4 Turkey tubes in 12ga. and 4 Turkey tubes in 20ga. are too many. Can't wait until the end of March for opening weekend, it'll probably snow on us, as it's done seasons past. grin

Luckily for me, my wife doesn't even know how many guns I have, let alone choke tubes!!!!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't read the above post and think I am for one or the other.
MOGC, I have never met you or Tim either for that matter but have talked to Tim on the phone a few times, but if I were to meet either of you, I would be glad to take you both out for lunch....

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I guess we`re even then. When you said you found something better, I spent several dollars trying to make the Hevi Shot work, and it didn`t.

Go figure.

I also share the new 870 SuperMag pics, with scope. Let you know how to find the base, the number to ask for, sell you the red dot off the 870, and get a PM and ask if my 870 has been drilled and tapped? Hell I thought my memory was bad............ crazy

I`m thinkin cabin fever is a very real condition, hurry up spring!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tim,
thanks for the help, my 870 SuperMag now has a Weaver mount on it with a Nikon red dot scope on it that I am sure you have looked thru before.
Now if I could just remember where to get the trigger spring to help that out.....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I bought a spring kit off of gunrboker that worked like a champ in an 11-87. Luckily my new 870SM had a pretty descent spring. I haven't been able to find any of the springs on GB, but brownells has some "light pull" springs that I believe are designed for trap guns. I have no idea how "light" they are.

The spring I purchased from GB made for a 2.25-2.5lb pull.

Good Luck

Reloader7RM

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I found them on ebay and ordered 2.
I think the grand total was $16 or $18 buck total, shipping and all. I would have bought them from Brownell's if I had known.
Guess I should have looked first, thanks for the info....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's the type I bought - they work on the 870, 1187 and the SP10 These suckers work!

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=92314479

ALDO LEOPOLD
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
So much for planting seeds...........you guys have a great spring.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That's the one I used Kimber7man, thanks for the link. I couldn't find it when I searched GB.

Reloader7RM

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I sent the check off today for the spring kit for an 870 to the guy off Ebay....

Do y'all do any other stoneing or other tricks to the trigger other than the spring?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't. Put the red dot on the bird and mash the trigger....

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I owe a big debt to you guys - I thought I was getting eccentric when I recently obtained my third turkey choke tube! You guys have proven to me that I am completely normal!! Thanks, Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
pullit, You can hone things down a bit with a dimond fil and lessen the creep, but I don't think you'll need to on a turkey gun.

My 11-87 slug gun's pull was reduced to 2.25-2.5 lbs with the GB spring which is pretty dang light for a shotgun. It has a good bit of creep but the pull is light enough that it's pretty easy to shoot accurately. You'll probably be fine with just replacing the spring.

I lessened the creep on my 1300 and that alone helped it enough to give a satisfactory trigger.

Heck, we aren't shooting our target rifles and an outstanding light weight trigger could be a disaster as excited as one gets with a tom thundering in front of him. Top that excitement off with gloves added to it and it could really cause some shots too quickly.

My 870SM turkey is around 3.5-4lbs but doesn't have much creep, so I just left it alone.

Good Luck,

Reloader7RM

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I`ve paid to have 2 triggers worked, 1 on the Super X2 and the BPS 10, the spring alone is quite acceptable on the 870. Made a big difference.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can take a stiff trigger pull better than I can take creap.
My 870 SM has a good bit of creap. Thought as long as I was putting a spring in, if I could help the creap, I would....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (06hunter59, 10ring1, 1OntarioJim, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,508
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.