Print Thread
Hop To
#20244 08/19/01
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'd like to own a O/U for waterfowl, crows, etc. However, I'm not interested in spending $800 or more for a shotgun.<P>Your opinions and suggestions are appreciated.<P>Thank you, bowhunter57

Guns cause crime, like silverware causes Rosie O'Donnell to be fat.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Low cost O/U are a rare breed, and you usually get what you pay for. My dad has had quite few in the shop that were real junk. The only one that I have seen that seemed to be worth the asking price($300 -500 depending where you find them) is the Baikal. They are certainly not fancy, but they seem reasonably well built. We have one local guy that bought one last year. He has been putting a couple of hundred rounds a month through it shooting sporting clays. So far, it has held up without a hitch. I can't say that one guys experience is a great testimonial though. The big detractor for me was the stock. It barely had any finish on it, and what was there was pretty poor because on a hot day it would wear off on your hands. <P>I, too, have been contemplating an O/U purchase. I thought about going the cheap route, but have decided to wait until I have the cash to buy what I want. I will likely buy a Browning Citori (don't know what model) when I do purchase. I will probably buy used because I will likely be able to find one in the sub $1000 price range. If you ever have the opportunity to look at the inner workings of O/U, the difference in quatlity would immediately be apparent. The higher priced models (Browning, Perazzi, Kreighoff, Ljutic, etc) are usually elegantly simplistic. They have very few, well machined, moving parts. The cheaper models (even the Berettas, Rugers and Weatherbys) have more parts that are prone to breakage. The real el-cheapos (sub $300 like American Arms) are full of cheap stamped parts and springs and are very prone to breakage. <P>For me, the upper end of the scale - the Ljutics, Perazzis and the like - are out of my price range. A good used Browning isn't though. Try to find a local shop that caters to the sporting clays or trap/skeet shooters. Some of these guys trade in/up every year or so. You can find some real bargains on some good guns. <P>Probably not the answer that you wanted, but I hate to see someone part with $400 for a shotgun that they are not going to be happy with. If your price ceiling is firm, you would be, IMHO, better served by a quality pump or an auto than a junker O/U.

Stush
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you attend gun shows or have a local gun store you can sometimes pick up a decent used Browning O/U for around $800. <P>If you know of any trap, skeet or sporting clays clubs near to where you live - post a notice that you are in the market for a good O/U and your max price is $800.<P>Make sure if it is used to try it before you buy it. <P>Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I know absolutely nothing about em but Wal Mart had a Franchi the other day for $499.<P>It wasnt a bad looking gun, but thats all I know about em. <P>Id never even heard of Franchi till I saw the gun.

<A HREF="http://TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com" TARGET=_blank>TheSouthernOutdoorsman.com</A>
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you happen to catch the model on the Franchi for $499?

Stush
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,506
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.