Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
OP Offline
G
I have the chance to trade my Remington rifle in 6.8 SPC with fluted barrel and fiberglass stock for a Bushmaster Varmiter in .223. I like the Bushy but, I am not sure what kind of accuracy folks are getting out of theirs. I bought the 6.8 for coyote hunting but, the ammo is a pain because it only likes 110 sierra handloads and I don't handload. Soooo, that means I pay $42.00 for 20 rounds. TOO DARN HIGH FOR ME!!!!! But, it will drive tacks.
I don't know what to do...what would you do. I don't have an AR-15 and I like the idea of buying another shorter upper with a bull barrel for playing. What do you think??????

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
what do you want for the 6.8 upper?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
He doesn't have an upper by my read:
my Remington rifle in 6.8 SPC with fluted barrel and fiberglass stock

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Start handloading. Seriously.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, I read it to be a bolt gun too....
handloading is the answer..... it can be done on the cheap with Lee if you have to....

Bushy is not a bad start in ARs

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Time to start handloading..... AND buy the Bushmaster (If possible).

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I would love to have your rifle, sent you a PM, lets talk. I have a lot of AR stuff and am sure we could work something out.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I own 3 BM's. One 16in. shortie and two Varminters.

As far as accuracy.....I didn't buy the second Bushy because the first one shot lousy....grin. Very reliable, accurate and versatile firearms.

Start rollin' your own and it will help the cost factor a great deal. The Varminter is a 1:9 twist and I've found the 50gr. V-Max's to work well in my two.

Good luck........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glocknut, you wont have any issues "driving tacks" with an AR, they do it very well. As far as handloading goes, thats a part of owning firearms that really completes the whole deal, it's not hard to do, you dont have to spend much to get started, and I think most guys here would agree that it's one of the most rewarding activity's you can practice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Been reading this thread with interest as I just got an AR and it's burning a hole in my pocket keeping it fed. I'm now considering getting into handloading (good news is that I wont be needing to buy any brass....). Where would a newbie find out how to start, which equipment to buy, etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't mean to hijack this tread....let me know if I am and I'll delete my post

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
First off.....congrat's on your new AR.

If and until considered hijacked....some food for thought. I expect that any subsequent info will not only help to answer your questions but might help the initial poster to make decisions as to handloading as well.

Many will say to go with a progressive press, others will suggest that a single stage is more than adequate for the average varminter/handloader and less expensive. Your choice should be based on what you think you'll end up doing.....don't jump in too big as one never knows if it will be your cup of tea or not. I'd guess, as TH said above, you will like it as it is a very rewarding activity.

I use a RC Supreme single stage press and it had worked out quite well for me and I am not a casual handloader. I load many thousands of .223 each year and hundreds of big game loads, plus for a handgun or two......the single stage press more than suffices for my uses.

Don't know what your intent is as far as your use of the AR whether it be just for plinking, as a dedicated pdog/gopher gun, range only use, competition, etc. My suggestions and/or thoughts are that you decide which you're more likely to be involved in, at least initially, and go from there. Won't speak to the competitive side and the nuances involved with such as I don't shoot paper near as much as fur and hair.......others can assist you more in that regard.

Example.......I knew I was going to dedicate my BM Varminters to pdogs and gophers. Lots of windy conditions and assorted distances involved. With a 1:9 twist, I sought others opinions and my own past handloading and shooting experience to come up with a certain weight bullet......50grs. split the difference between offerings quite well and so my search began with the appropriate 50gr. bullets (accurate and explosive as a main criteria). Started out with the 50gr. V-Max and it shot extremely well and except for a short and futile attempt to find just as accurate a bullet as the V-Max at a cheaper price.......I returned to the V-Max never to stray again.

After much studies done on-line, through friends and in reloading manuals, I chose H335 as a likely powder to begin my load development. Bought only a pound as the jury was still out until I could test it's usefulness and accuracy with the 50gr. V-Max's. Again, it worked out to be a great combination. Primer selection was the same. Started out with Fed. 205's and they worked well in combination with the aforementioned components. Outside of some older milsurp brass I bought in quantity awhile back, I use Winchester cases.......works well for me.

When you find a load that suits your intended needs and your AR's appetite, buy the above components in as much bulk as you can comfortably afford. Also as important, make your purchases in the same lot#'s.......this will ensure that your accuracy, velocities, pressures and POI's remain the same, all other aspects remaining equal. All components, whether powder, brass, primers or bullets have lot#'s, some easier to find than others, stamped somewhere in or on their containers, but they are there.

Dies.....I like Redding and Forster dies. For the .223, get the set (sizer and seater) that includes the FL (full length sizes) die.....as opposed the the neck sizer die. In AR's, it's important to FL resize your cases. A few may say otherwise, but full length resizing is almost always considered the most prudent approach.

I've got some boat motors to tune up so I need to take my leave for now. This was just a very short and incomplete version of what you might consider doing as you weigh out the advantages/disadvantages or handloading for your AR. Others will be along to help as well, lots of good people here with logical/helpful approaches visit here often.

Continue asking until you feel comfortable enough in making your decision and if you decide to handload, I'm sure there will be many other questions you need answered. That's why this forum and it's members are here.

Good luck................

Last edited by magnumb; 02/17/08.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Magnumb, your post has is very much appreciated, thank you for taking the time to respond. I know handloading is the next step for me, now I've got to go shop for a nice present for my wife so she'll have something to open while I tell her about my new hobby!!!!!

Another question, Midway USA's catalog has around 85 pages in their "Reloading" section..things from tumblers, calipers, headspace-cartridge-length gauges, trimmers, etc, etc, etc. If I was to start out just reloading two or three calibers (90% .223) what equipment is necessary to start? I can see myself spending $1,000 to save $100.00 (and no, it won't be the first time!)!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
For a beginning reloader, the Lee kit offers most everything you will need to get started (other than dies). Plenty of ways to spend money later...

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=006-90030&fromsearch=yes

You will find you don't "save" money reloading...you just shoot more rounds!

Greg

Last edited by Mulerider; 02/17/08.

NRA/TSRA Life
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nothing against the Lee starter kit as Mulerider suggests, but I'm only able to suggest that which I know something about. RCBS makes a great starter set as well and without reviewing what the set consists of, my last recollections are that it was quite complete. I would highly suggest, if not included, a powder thrower such as the RCBS Uniflo unit. For ball powders, such as H335, it IS the only way to fill cases, especially multiple cases such as .223's for AR's.

So, a starter kit of some brand (which I believe also includes a case trimmer), a powder thrower, dies (thoroughly clean both dies prior to use), a #10 shellholder (for .223's), a couple cans of Hornady One Shot case lube spray (use exactly as directed INCLUDING a shot of spray up into the resizing die prior to each reloading session or after doing several hundred rounds), a 1 lb. can of powder, the smallest quantity of whatever weight and bullet you choose, a 100 ct. box of small rifle primers, some 50 ct. loading blocks (for .223 and whatever other cartridges you may load for - most are very universal), plastic cartridge boxes (100 ct. for the .223's), reloading labels to attach to your plastic cartridge boxes identifying load contents and other particulars, a Lyman or other case tumbler that has the capacity to tumble large amounts of .223 brass (such as the Lyman #2500 - great unit and warranty service as well), a Lee Auto prime primer if an RCBS primer is not included in the set which I think it very well may be and probably a few other things I've forgotten about as I just use and don't need to make such purchases anymore. That's the good thing.....once set up with the basics, less the components (bullets, primers, powder and eventually new brass), these are essentially lifetime items/products. That point always helps when discussing "new hobbies" with the wife........grin.

There are obviously other products that either help reduce time spent at the reloading table and or make the job easier, but they aren't essential right now. Getting up and running is more important. If you become more involved and/or more dedicated and finances allow, there is no end to the "add-ons" possible in the handloading arena. Trust me on this one.............

Feel free to PM me if other questions or concerns arise, but this is a good vehicle for other members input as well....your call.

Good luck.

Last edited by magnumb; 02/17/08.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sincere thanks for your continued help. Lets say I buy a starter kit, the additional accessories, primers, bullets, powder, etc,....and I'm ready to reload. After you get it all, how does one learn how to properly use it? Are there instructions included, do you need to buy instructional videos? I'm sorry about seemingly stupid questions...I normally jump into things and read the instructions later, however with primers and gunpowder involved I think I'll use some caution!

Thank you again.

Last edited by Duffman; 02/17/08.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Most of the starter kits like the RCBS partner kit, which I started out with, have instructions with them. There are also a lot of good books on the subject especially reloading manuals. The latest Speer or Hornady are always a good starting point.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If you just want to see if you will continue to do it, I'd buy either a lee kit or the cheap lee press, a set of lee 223 dies, the cheap lee powder measure and a Hodgdon loading manual. You'll need a debur or chamfer tool, and a caliper to check length and a cheap scale to verify settings. All pretty cheap.

Set up for a standard bullet and ball powder you can set measure and dump each charge, checking about every 10th or so.

At this point all you need is to lube cases and size, clean, seat primers, dump powder, seat bullets.

The reloading book will tell you how, or there are videos out there also.

BTW I suggest Hodgdon as it deals with all hodgdon powders and all makes of bullets, Accurate I believe offers same and cheaper powder at times, thats an option. Another really good powder option is Ramshot TAC.

later you can buy surplus powder and learn more and load even cheaper.

you should be able to get into the above cheaply enough, then if you decide that you will keep it up, you can upgrade. Thats my take on how to start... I started with lee hand dies, and then went to RCBS. I like various top makers so top line choices can vary.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I expect that any starter kit will have basic and complete instructions. Having said that, terminology and companies expectations of your experience/knowledge may differ so always ask rather than wade right into the middle of some reloading task. As you say, "when primer and gunpowder are involved.....".....for sure.

No questions regarding handloading are stupid, at least, not in my book. If this stuff were childs play and more people trusted their own resolve to become safe and efficient handloaders, there would be even more of us out there. People fear new things, mostly out of ignorance.........understandable, but a loss as well. Handloading, by the #'s, is as safe as most any other sport/hobby. Getting started out correctly goes a long ways towards that end.

I think a scale comes with the RCBS starter kit. As was suggested, a chamfer and deburring tool (it's one double-ended tool) and a caliper, IF not included as well, are necessities. Some starter kits likely come with clear and basic instructions plus perhaps a loading manual.......I'm not sure. But the Hodgdon manual would be a good one to start with.

Just Google up RCBS or another Starter Kit For Sale and find the cheapest one you've decided on. No doubt one of the descriptions will name each and every item in the starter kit for you know from the get go what you'll need and not need to purchase separately.

Good luck.

Last edited by magnumb; 02/18/08.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just and additional comment, for bare bones starting, some of the kits have too much stuff in them, its why I mentioned pretty specific things to have.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The most economical way to get started is with this Lee breech lock press kit, you'll need to spend another 5 bucks for a case length guage and 25 for a die set, you'll get complete instructions with the kit, and you will have everything that you need to learn to load. You should consider any of the popular loading manuals available as a first purchase and study guide, and you'll find all the help you need with any questions from the guys here. Here's a link; Lee Kit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.