Print Thread
Hop To
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I will be hunting with an outfitter for mule deer around Fort Peck MT. I will have a deer tag for Unit 630 or 632 (I am still a little fuzzy about the units and the tags). He mentioned the elk hunting with a rifle would be great if I could draw a permit. The problem is there is only about a 3-6% chance of getting drawn for a permit. The outfitter sponsored combo deer/elk tag will cost an extra $400 over the deer tag alone. If I am not drawn for the 630/632 elk permit and still want to use the elk tag, I will need to find another outfitter in a unit that doesn't require a permit (and spend more cash and another week of vacation) or eat the extra $400. I will likely hunt with this outfitter in this area for the next several years. He has a great operation and has only a limited number of spots. Most go to returning hunters.

Is there another way to work this so I don't eat the $400? Would the elk hunting in Unit 630/632 be worth $2000 to get a chance at the permit over the next 5 yrs? Any help with working with MT hunting rules or the logistics would be great.

Thanks,

Scott

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've put in for 632(either sex tag) for the last 15 years, no luck. There are some big bulls hiding out in those hills...

Billingsley(sp)?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ask the outfitter what his success is for elk hunters. Like you've heard, there are some big bulls along the river but my experience is that they're pretty mobile. Sometimes you find them, sometimes you don't. Without getting more info from the outfitter as to how many acres he hunts/how large an area it encompasses/success ration/etc. you'd be doing it just like the locals, hunt, hunt, hunt then maybe shoot! Hope you have a great trip.

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Looks like drawing in 5 years might be a bit optimistic. Bull_Elk, he has alot of land leased (around 450 sq miles from his web site). I hunted with him in 2007 and he is pretty straight up. He said all of his elk hunters (most are bow hunters) have a chance to kill an elk.

Scott

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spend the money; get the tag........you're already going anyway so the incremental extra cost is relatively low.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scott-I am curious, who will you be hunting with?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I will be hunting with Scott Sundheim of Souix Pass Outfitters.

http://www.garfieldweb.com/scottsundheimcom/

Any reason why your curiosity was peaked?

Last year we hunted out of Fairview MT with his brother Jeff guiding us. I would like to have Jeff's luck. He drew a bighorn tag on his second try I believe. The pictures of his nice ram is on the web site.

Scott

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
MontanaMan:

I hear you and that is what I will likely do. But $400 is more than I really want to leave on the table.

This will be our first year hunting this unit. We are planning on putting in for the sponsored deer tag and antelope. While we are there hunting, we will hopefully get a better idea about the elk in the area. If it looks like something worth dropping $400 on then we will start putting in for permits and buying the Big Game combo tag. I will also be more likely to get two back to back weeks of vacation next year (my wife is 36 wks along today, so I've planned for time off this year). Then I could put in for the permits and might be able to put together a last minute hunt in a non-permit unit if not drawn for 630/632.

Scott

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sundheim is a shirt-tail relative of mine. I hear he's a good one to hunt with in those parts.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You may not have to buy the combo tag unless you get drawn. I think all you need is the conservation license to put in for the drawing if a resident. Should be the same for non-residents but don't know for sure on the outfitter sponsored license. Did you double check with your outfitter that you need to buy the combo license to apply for the drawing?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's incorrect. An elk license is a prerequisite for applying for permits for everyone.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you do draw an elk permit for the area, you are likely to get a good one. Scott knows that area pretty well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Mule Deer,

I thought (hoped) you might chime in. Honestly, do you think the odds of drawing are worth extra $400 even if I didn't use the tag?

By the way, I can't thank you enough for pointing me toward the Scott. I ended up losing a poorly shot deer on the last day of the hunt but still consider the hunt one of the best hunting experiences I've had. After spending all my life hunting Indiana the Breaks were so different. One morning Jeff Sundheim, my father and I watched three coyotes work a doe and her yearling up a draw. They took turns pushing them toward the others. The �yotes came back hungry.

Scott

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
That's incorrect. An elk license is a prerequisite for applying for permits for everyone.

Ooops. I don't apply for special elk tags so didn't realize it was different than for other animals like mt. goats. Sorry about that. Guess I should know what I'm talking about before I post something.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SWJ,

Sorry to hear about your deer, but glad you had a great time. Both Scott and Jeff are indeed great to hunt with. I hunted with them (Jeff guiding) a couple of years ago, and saw a couple of nice bucks but did not quite get a good shot. It took some persuading to convince Jeff I had a great time, but he finally came around. My buddy got a nice muley buck--and also became a Breaks addict.

The odds are pretty low for drawing a rifle tag--and apparently worse for me, because I have never drawn a bull rifle tag in ANY of the special units in Montana, in 30-some years of trying. But that's me; I'm notorious for bad drawing luck. But even so, the odds in 632 last year were less than 3%, and since there were only 10 permits drawn, I believe only one of those went to a non-resident. Pretty slim!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
SWJ: I have Hunted in the areas you are interested in, many times. The Deer "A" license should allow you to Hunt in ANY open area of Montana! Your "guide" may only Hunt in 630 and 632 but you can drift off on your own before or after your stint with him for more Hunting if you need it.
My partner and I got nice 4x4 Mulies last year up your way. Its been a mild winter so far and the Mule Deer Hunting should be as good or better than last year. The area does get a fair amount of Hunting pressure but there are LOTS of areas that are remote and secluded by private ownership and distance etc!
You will see Elk on your Hunt to be sure.
You must first POSSESS a valid Montana "general" Elk tag to be able to apply for one of the "Special Elk Tags" that are needed to Hunt Elk in areas 630 and 632.
UNLESS you have time for an Elk Hunt somewhere else in the state (most of the state is open to the "general" Elk tag and Elk Hunting for anyone with the "general" tag) then I would suggest you stick to Hunting Deer and finding a dandy one!
I get my info from page 12 of the 2,007 Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Deer, Elk & Antelope Regulations book.
So in short if you have to buy the "expensive" general Elk tag to just have a 3% chance in the drawing for the special 630/632 Elk tag then odds are you will be "stuck" with an expensive Elk tag and maybe without anywhere to Hunt with the general tag. Think about this carefully.
I say Hunt Mule Deer and photograph the Elk this year. Think about the area and odds for the future and look things over in the area while you are there.
I will say this: I was laying prone (in area 632) right next to my Hunting partner Ben a few years back as he lined up on a trophy 7x7 Bull Elk and killt it with one shot from his 338/378 Weatherby Magnum!
Right then I would have paid "a lot" of money for a valid tag OR a chance at a valid Elk tag, for that areas Elkin!!!
We saw two Boone & Crockett Bulls on that trip!
Unfortunately we saw one the day before the season opened, and the other was on privately controlled Hunting ground -which is somewhat rare in this area.
Best of luck on your Hunt!
Keep an eye out for Teepee rings, arrowheads, fossils and such - they are fun "to see"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
SWJ: I have Hunted in the areas you are interested in, many times. The Deer "A" license should allow you to Hunt in ANY open area of Montana! Your "guide" may only Hunt in 630 and 632 but you can drift off on your own before or after your stint with him for more Hunting if you need it.
VarmintGuy

True if he gets a combo license through the drawing. But if he gets an outfitter sponsored license, all his big game hunting must be with a licensed outfitter.

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Whttail_in_MT: you are correct. I will be using outfitter sponsored tags. If I buy the combo tag, I would need to use an outfitter to hunt elk regardless of the zone.

S
SWJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
VG:

We saw Teepee rings in a couple of places on last years hunt. We also found a the remains of a fawn killed by a mountain lion, nothing but the intact hide. Lost count of the pheasants and white tails. Even saw a few turkey, nibbled bull berries and found winter kills that I would be lucky to get in my cross hairs. No doubt, the Breaks are a cool place to hunt.

Scott

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,174 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,760
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.