Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Ohhhh boy am I dangerous now. It is V3.4 and it's been interesting comparing my pet loads with the program.

I found that I've been pretty good about controlling pressures, which is good news. Some rounds I found to be very close with respect to QL's estimated velocities and my chronograph, but others are off a bit, especially in the larger cartridges. I am hoping Ken H. can help out when I get to that point. I read the post regarding the weighting factor and I think that will help some. I need to spend a little time verifying some of my prior results before I jump into that whole hog.

I also entered loading results from the manuals into QL just to check results and consistency. In most of the magnums, the manual velocities were a little higher than QL results. I don't know if it is manufacturer's bias, or conservatism in QL, or both.

What's going to get a bit expensive is discovering other powders that may produce better results than what I've been using for some rounds.

Tell the Governor, I said ouch.

Steve

GB1

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've found QL to be on the conservative side. Also, make sure you check what they are using for SAAMI/CIP pressure, and keep in mind that QL likes to keep max loads at about 90%

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Tod
I've found QL to be on the conservative side. Also, make sure you check what they are using for SAAMI/CIP pressure, and keep in mind that QL likes to keep max loads at about 90%

Thanks....I saw that.

In playing with it, the "weighting factor" seems it could have been appropriately named "Finnagle's Constant."

I have one load that I'm playing with that I may send out for public scrutiny.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AI_fool
� I also entered loading results from the manuals into QL just to check results and consistency. �

You can expect some normal variations from two sources in particular:

� The data in any manual are from a single rifle, set of cases, lot of powder, etc, not the ones that you're using.

� QuickLOAD uses specific dimensions that you may not have been able to enter, because the manual doesn't specify them.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.