Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Savage guys,
I started out deer hunting shooting 180 grain round nose 308's and they are absolute slayers compared to my 3006 and 7mm08. I think they open up better at those short northern MN deer woods shots.
I recently picked up a 300 savage and wonder if round nose 180's will be as effective in this rifle. 150 grain pointy's seem to be the common factory round.
What has worked best for you's guys?
H

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread is probably a good place to start ... enjoy the reading .

click on me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hello Humdinger. I get better accuracy from 180's, but 150's do the job on whitetail just fine!!

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Humdinger, I started that thread that gd'40eg-300 attached, and I'm probably gonna go with 180's next year and see if it makes a difference. Every shot is unique and I'm not so sure if it is the bullet or the shot that makes the biggest difference at the end of the day. That being said, I just can't help but feel I got lucky that the deer I shot piled up. The bullet did not perform to my satisfaction. It may have been too close, I may have hit too much bone, but what I said I'll stick by, I don't want to have to think too hard before I pull the trigger about whether the shot is OK because I'm using 150's. Now, if you are going to use a premium bullet, that is a whole dofferent kettle of fish. The better bullets available to handloaders will do the job under almost any circumstance, but I do not handload personally so unless I get help someone to whip up a batch for me I'm stuck with Remington Corelokt's or Federal Hi Shock soft points and in that case like I said, I'm going to switch to the 180's. The picture below says it all, that 150 disintegrated.

[Linked Image]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I like the 130gr TTSX in front of 42gr of H4895 in the 300 Savage. If I weren't using that I would probably run 150gr Partitions in front of 39-40gr of the same powder.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My experience with 300 Savage 150 grain current production corelokt was quite a bit better than Romacs. As you can see they held together great, my 2006 buck only walked 30 ft and fell over....Scott

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc47/scottp63/2006buck.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc47/scottp63/2006ammo.jpg

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nice deer.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Factory ammo shooter here. 'Tried every factory offering I could get my hands on, and settled for the good ol' Remington 180 gr. RN Core-Lockt. Best accuracy, and whacks em' really good. 'Never had one yet go more than a few feet. Most kills are bang flops. As with any load from any gun, shot placement plays a factor. I always go for boiler room shots-not head or neck hits.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I do handload and use a 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet in front of either 41.5 grains of IMR4895 or 40.0 grains of IMR3031. I'm gonna investigate H4895 and a few other powders this Spring, Summer and Autumn before deer season and work up a new hunting load with the Nosler Ballistic Tips.

However, since you don't handload, I'd stick with what works... and if Jeff (Gophergunner) sez that 180 grain RN Core-Lokts work best, then that's what I'd buy.

I know Jeff personally... he is a knowledgable, seasoned deer hunter and you can definitely trust what he sez (except when he's telling you about the "big one that got away"). grin grin grin

Seriously, I'd try the 150 grain AND the 180 grain (if you can readily find the 180 grain bullets) Core-Loks and see which one shoots best (most accurately) in your rifle.

Frankly, with the .300 Savage cartridge, you are already working with a very limited powder capacity... and the longer 180 grain bullet sticks down into the powder chamber even further than the 150 grain bullet thus limiting the amount of powder (and thus the muzzle velocity) that can be put into the smallish .300 Savage cartridge case.

On the other hand, accuracy is more important than a few hundred feet of muzzle velocity... so check out BOTH the 150 grain and the 180 grain Core-Lokt bullets and let your rifle decide which one it likes best. Certainly, the 150 grain Core-Lokt is MORE than "adequate" for deer sized game in the .300 Savage cartridge. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Been using the 150gr and 180gr Nosler Partitions, and haven't recovered a bullet yet. Or lost a wounded deer. Not a bang flop round most of the time, but it's one that will penetrate to the vitals every time from pretty much any angle, and opens quickly but controllably. Dead deer and minimum of ruined meat.

Probably going to switch over to the 165gr bullets this year full time.

I shoot at the range and for practice with Nosler Ballistic Tips, much cheaper and I find they shoot to almost the same POI as the Partitions in my rifles. Then I shoot a few rounds to verify zero with the Partitions before I head out.

It's like a Leupold.. never heard of anybody being sorry they went hunting with a Partition. grin

Pick the up reasonably priced here.. especially the 2nds and sales.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I tend to shoot rem core locts after a bad federal experience in my 3006. I normally see rem 150's stocked and never 180's RN so I wondered if 180's disappeared due to bad performance or lack of demand. Many years ago I read an article on the net called "bullets for the brushveld" which was a english-safari site that studied penetration versus expansion and it pointed out each bullet has an optimal velocity. I have seen this in woods hunting where people shoot 7mm mags and they pencil through because they are designed to open at slower velocities. I will try both for accuracy and reliable feeding. It sounds like both work and the 180's have enough velocity to open up.
Now I need to go shell shopping...'
h

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
180gr RN has been my favorite for the 300Sav. and 308win. I've had 99's in both calibers and that is THE bullet for deer in the forest. Lots of penetration when you don't get that perfect broadside shot.

See thread on 150gr Failure.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by erich
180gr ...See thread on 150gr Failure.
erich

You guys kill me. Single shot to the guts, instant kill & tagged deer, but the bullet "failed". Right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RandyS

Quess you didn't read MY post.

erich

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RandyS

Quess you didn't read MY post.

erich

Make mine a Minaska

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
erich,

I wasn't swinging at you; IIRC you had similar points to make. It's the whole concept of an extremely successful failure. I could not help but beat the dead horse. It did not die from a beating, rather from boredom listening to the "TASTES GREAT!!! ... LESS FILLING!!!" previous post. A tagged deer is a tagged deer, (but there is only one way to do it, and any other way is wrong, of course.) Let's be thankful that the guys that hunt deer with elephant rifles and those that hunt with bow and arrow didn't also get in on the fun. It would never end.

What part of Washington are you in?

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.