Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Here's a purely friendly suggestion, Kute. You may want to make the next pot decaf. smile

For me, the deep green environmentalists are a bit like the Mormons... some of the nicest people you ever want to meet but I respectfully disagree with the theology. As with most things in my life, when it comes to the woods I'm a rationalist. I think the best way to resolve wildlife and habitat issues through science. Our understanding of the planet is incomplete and my feelings about what "works" are open to change based on the advancement of human knowledge.

That makes me (and others) different than some of the deep green environmentalists. For at least some of them, the "right" way to live on the planet is a matter of faith, not science. The woods is a place I love, but don't worship. People who disagree with me on natural resource issues are just folks, not heretics. I count among my friends some serious "tree huggers," but then again, I have friends of many religious bents.

As for gear, I think some of the green folks are just as serious, committed and hard core as anyone in the hunting community. There are world class mountaineers who have zero interest in hunting, but do not doubt that they know how to get up and go in some hard country. As a community of hunters, I think we would do well to embrace our brothers (and our sisters) wink and search for common ground on issues and informed opinions on gear.

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Very nice and well spoken, Hampstead.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I get real tired of this same old rhetoric about ...greenies... and ...real outdoorsmen...that NEVER friggin' ends on most hunting-related forums and felt it was time to bluntly say so.

I don't, BTW, drink coffee, like all good British Commonwealth types and traditional Canuck bushwhackers, I drink TEA!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well thank you Kute for saying so bluntly and at the same time saying that I don't know a [bleep] thing about the outdoors.

You misunderstood what I wrote sir. If you can't admit that maybe you did too many whippits out of your can of bear spray all those nights in the woods.

Travis.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have never used bear spray in my life, it is a waste of money, IMHO. So, maybe you might want to put in a few years of ...nights in the woods... BEFORE making even more false assumptions, eh?

IC B2

S
S
This is like a train wreck that I cant help but watch.

Im out of popcorn though...

Doesnt anyone lock this stuff?

Simple should not be confused with easy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve,
In my limited time on the backpacking forum here, nothing gets as nasty as any thread that has 'Wiggys' attached to it.

Don't let that sour you however, generally speaking the backpacking forum is the most informative as well as polite venue on the Campfire, IMO.
And Kutenay, Chawn, Brad, et all are good guys.

Last edited by 340boy; 03/06/08.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The post I reacted to made comments such as these:

...want to preserve, rather than conserve...

...real outdoorsmen...in a context which essentially stated that the ...eco-freaks...and ...granola eaters... are somehow NOT as much ...outdoorsmen...as hunters are.

The poster may well be young and a total novice as it appears, HOWEVER, to make comments like this here is highly disrespectful of those of us who ARE serious environmentalists and I am one of these. I am DEEP GREEN, always have been and ALWAYS WILL BE and it is/has been the guiding principle of my life for over 50 years.

SO, when someone first makes the "good ol'boy" and "bubba" comments that this poster did and THEN implies that hunters like HIM are the ...real outdoorsmen..., wellllll, yeah, my patience tends to vanish. MOST of the "hunters"I have seen in my time in the bush were/are NOT as much of REAL outdoorsmen as the climbers, wilderness trekkers and horse packers I have known.

Sorry all to hell, but, paying a BC guide to spot a sheep with an aircraft and tell your guide it's location by radio and then shooting it, having the guide cape and pack it out so you can mount it on your wall in Dallas-Fort Worth for all your S.C.I. buddies to admire.....that ain't hunting!

This is just one of those things that really pushes my buttons and I will drop it now as my point is made and it will serve no good purpose to continue with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kutenay,
I apologize if my last post made it sound as if I was admonishing you.

I did not mean it that way.

You have been VERY helpful to me on this forum and I have learned much from your posts, which I why I enjoy this forum.

Take care, sir!
smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
kutenay,

I don't know if you read my initial response to you on the last page or not. If you read it I think you will see that I was referring to people like yourself as real outdoorsmen...not me.

I also plainly apologized for the use of the word granola if it offends you or anyone else.

While I am a novice in comparison to many on this forum, I don't think that entitles you to the right to state that I don't know a [bleep] thing about the outdoors. You've never met me.

Travis.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have nothing against the granola types neither....as long as it does not interfer with my hunting, if it does then we have a problem. This thread really went to [bleep] since yesterday afternoon, thats to bad because it was probably one of the most civil Wiggy's threads on the internet. Chawn, you really dug a hole for yourself pardner with your complaining about the cordage. You must have received a bad bag from Taylor as the 2 I have work great. Send the damn bag bag and get a new one then light that one on fire and take some pics so we can see it firsthand and then we can put this thread to bed.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just a few minor disagreements, no major hatefests and maybe we all can learn from this, once in awhile. To make comments that can be misconstrued or even ARE offensive is going to elicit inchoate responses, that is just human nature and it's not that big a deal, IMHO.

BTW, I am NOT an outdoorsman, I AM a retired, FORMER outdoorsman who is now a recreationist and geezer and I do not attempt to be anything else.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor
I guess you just have to know how to operate a cord-lock properly and not strip the cord through it?

Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
You must have received a bad bag from Taylor...

The difference in attitude is clear. If I thought Wiggy bags were the best (I don't) I would not buy one based on sales method and lack of customer service.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Fair enough.

I sincerely hope nobody ever asks about Wiggy's bags again. I do believe this topic is cursed.

Travis.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I think black tea comes in decaf these days, Kute... just a thought. smile

As for the "green" versus "camo" thing, this is often a clash of cultures. My family is mostly blue collar, hardscrabble, super conservative gypo logging hunters. This said, I have friends who are white collar, college-educated, super liberal, hybrid driving "leave no trace" backpackers. There are folks on both side of the fence that know and love the woods. On the other hand, I'm not sure I would want put them all in a rig and listen to them argue about whether the radio should be turned to Rush Limbaugh or NPR. smile

Live and let live, folks, live and let live.

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL........lack of customer service?? Dude, did you even read any of this thread? Chawn NEVER contacted Taylor about getting a new bag yet he (Taylor) doesn't honor the warranty? Come on man, your not stupid, you know how this all works. You get a bad or damaged product, you contact the salesman that sold it to you and deal with it from there. When you buy a Remington from Sportsman's Warehouse and there's an issue with it, you don't take it back to the store, you send it to Remington, same with Wiggy's. So many people interpret these posts in the tone that they see fit instead of just reading and comprehending in what's being conveyed. Thats the biggest problem with internet forums these days.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
aaaahhh now we're down to separating the fly chit from the pepper.

I like Chawn, but I gotta agree, it seems to me that he's got a hard on for Wiggy and/or Marc.

Reason I think so, is cause I've felt the same way before.

imo the maker of Wiggy's bags is an unmitigated azzhole.

his bags are serviceable, but a long way from the greatest for my uses.

from phone conversations I think Marc is basically a good guy, but he's certainly not done himself or his biz any favors on the internet from my viewpoint.

he does do the outdoor stuff personally which is a plus for a guy that sells gear.

but even though he uses and reps Wiggy bags, I think he'd be better served by taking his marketing lessons from a guy like Patrick at Kifaru.

imo Patrick is a class act, not all of his gear or style of hunting best suits "my" hunting style either, but I'd be more inclined to drop dollars on his gear, just for the outstanding customer service he delivers and the laid back manner in which he presents his wares and his accomplishments or endeavors.

I know what I know about outdoor gear, and am pretty comfortable being able to make decisions based on my experience.

but I have learned from this thread.

I've learned Hampstead is pretty much a voice of reason and I'd think he'd probably be a good companion to share a real campfire with.

same goes for many of you including ole ironbender.

guys got through with woolen blankets in the past as always it really comes down to the Indian and not his arrows. though good arrows are always welcomed by a good Indian.

from my perspective there's some good Indians hanging out around here.

we're lucky to have so many arrows to choose from. I know what type I like, and even what type of guy I like to make mine.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
AMH-
Chawn should have contacted Taylor, I'll agree with that. Marc can't fix what he doesn't know about. Personally, I think there is more to the story than we've read here.

My remarks regarding CS are directed to the belittling attitude expressed in the quote above. Insults are poor customer service. If the bag had been bought from my store, my response would have been more like the following. MT is free to copy and use it.
===============================================================
Stillhunter-

I'm sorry you had trouble with the bag you bought from me. If you will send it to me I'll do whatever it takes to make the situation right. We at Wiggy's believe we make the best blah, blah, blah... so I will be happy to honor the warranty on your bag.

I sincerely wish you had emailed or phoned me with the problems you encountered so that we could fix this to achieve a more harmonious outcome.

Again, please accept my apologies for your troubles and send me the bag at your convenience.
==============================================================

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That would be a good response but the apology part, I don't know man, Taylor wasn't the one at fault here and I think we all know that, hopefully Chawn will get satisfaction one way or the other. So, who's going bear hunting this spring??

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
So, who's going bear hunting this spring??

<puts hand in air>
smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 11 of 22 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 37 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,065
Posts18,463,483
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.