24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I posted this up on the campfire...thought it might be better here.
Can a Canadian resident sell a polar bear hide to someone in the states? How?

Thanks

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes it can be done. Since Polar bears/Lynx are on the CITES list- you require a CITES export permit-an you get it from the management authority of Canada. It costs around 30.00 CAN for the permit.
For more info you might try
furcanada.com

Last edited by 378Canuck; 03/03/08.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Is there a season on polar bears?Leh?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I think it is illeagle for a US resident to posses a hide unless it is from one of the importable areas or is papered before the 1972 Marine Mammals Act.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Late winter early spring. You better be in good condition if you want to keep up with them Eskimos. NWT have polar bear hunting. A friend of mine shot one years ago. Cost him 3000 bucks to get the hide and claws head done professional. Looks great.
Anyway here is one site you can check on
www.polarbearhunting.net/
Remember these things love eating people. They are the most dangerous thing to hunt.
I saw an Eskimo shoot a warning shot over a polar and it ran about 30 ft turned and charged right at him. He emptied his rifle in that thing and the 3 huskies kept it at bay until it expired. Most gruesome thing I ever saw and I was watching with a few other guys from atop the drilling unit.
Some of the fellas went and cut the claws and teeth off of it before the fish cops got there. Man were they pissed.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wrong ropes if you have the CITES export permit you can get it into USA. Same way the guys get the cheetahs from Africa.
You need a whole bunch of cash if you want to hunt polars. Comparable to Africa hunting.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sure you can get it in but possession might be illeagle.

In some states it is against the law just to posses a certain skin ... for instance Mt Lion in Calif. You can kill and posses Ringtale Cats in Arizona but possession of them is illeagle in several states.

Polar Bears can only be imported from the importable areas.

Most of Polar Beardom is non-importable.

If you currently posses a Polar bear hide (or mount) you better have the papers (cities) among others that it is from an importable area ... or taken and papered before the 1972 Marine Mammals Act which made it illeagle to kill or possess a Polar Bear hide or mount ... unless it is authentic native handy craft, defined in the law. The law was later amended to allow possession and importation from certain areas.

That is the reason there is a major difference in the costs of the guided hunts. The non-importable areas low $ hunt the importable area high $ hunt. The law dosen't stop an American from hunting a non-importable area but they can only bring back photos and memories from their hunt. Many skins are in Canadian storage right now from some of the non-importable areas in hopes that the Fed would open those areas for import. But things have gone the other way in the wake of Global Warming and the idea that the Polar Bear is in trouble ... in some Americans eyes.

If the Bear is listed (under current review) per the Endangered Species Act it will stop the importation even from the now importable areas.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

http://www.bowhuntingsafari.com/html/cpolarbear.html

Polar Bears are found in the farthest northern portions of North America. Nanook, as the Inuit people call the polar bear, is truly one of the greatest trophy animals on the earth. For a period of time, polar bears could not be legally brought back to the United States, but recently, more and more locations throughout the NWT's have been opened up to bears being "importable". There are still locations that are "non-importable". While polar bear hunting is still legal in each of these areas, the "importable" bear hunts bring a higher price.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Non-importable means that no CITIES will be issued for that Bear and it is against the law to possess that Bear in the US.

http://www.advwild.com/ArcticPolarBearPB1.htm

Hunt Prices:
14 Day 1 on 2 Hunts:
Importable to U.S. - $24,900.00 US
Non- Importable to U.S. - Prices start @ $21,000.00 US

http://www.fourstarhunting.com/canada/northwest_territories/holman_nunavut/polar_bear_2.htm

Holman, Northwest Territories (Importable to the States)
Pelly Bay/Hall Beach, Nunavut (Not importable to the States)

http://www.seaworld.org/infobooks/PolarBears/pbconservation.html

C. United States Marine Mammal Protection Act, 1972.

1.Polar bears are protected under the U.S. Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA).

2.The primary objective of the MMPA is to maintain the health and stability of the marine ecosystem and to obtain and maintain an optimum sustainable population of marine mammals.

3.The MMPA prohibits taking and importing marine mammals unless a permit is issued for the purposes of public display, native subsistence, scientific research, or sustaining a depleted species. MMPA revisions in 1994 allow U.S. citizens to import polar bear "trophies" acquired in Canadian hunts. Polar bears in Alaska can be hunted only by Alaskan natives.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.furcanada.com the site will work now if you click on it. Export permits and info is posted. Contact them for the latest info on importation to the USA. The USA government body responsible has taken Canada NWT to court over this matter, but are sure to loose. The polar bear population is doing very well and culling is actually recommended by biologists in northern Canada. Check the sites out and ask questions to the experts before buying hides or hunting is my reccomendation. Get it right from the horses mouth. Have a good day.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks everybody...I will pass along the info to my buddy in SK

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A US citizen cannot import a Canadian Polar Bear Hide. The only way a US citizen can import a hide is if the person sport hunted it him self.

It is the same as with Elephant Ivory. It can only be imported when sport hunted by the hunter.

Cheetah cannot be imported into the US either.

While all three are CITES 1, the US does not allow importation of Cheetah at all.

The US thinks it is smarter than the rest of the world. Perhaps you've noticed?

Mickey

"Instead of getting married again I am just going to find a women I don't like and give her a house"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
790 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 3,198 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,709
Posts18,400,156
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.