Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I bought a cool little M38 that someone has sporterized, and thought there is no finish on the metal at all and the issue straight-grip stock is really dark and in need of a refinish, it has the bolt correctly bent, D&T'd, with Weaver bases, the trigger pull has had some work (do not know poundage) 20.5" barrel is free-floated from the barrel step forward, and the barrel mirror-brite! hey, I got this OTD for $60!!!! The guy said that he bought the shop 5 years ago, and that it was there then, and has been there ever since. I already have brass on the way, and was thinking that a low power fixed or variable like a Leupy 1-5X or at most a 4x would make a very fine low-recoil deer carbine for hunting der in the 150lb class out to maybe 175yds at most.

Can't wait to shoot it - anyone have experience shooting or hunting with this little cartridge?

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
iambrb-

There was a recent thread on the 6.5x50 in the Reloading Big Game Rifles forum in December 2007.

I think THIS LINK will take you there.

As a followup to that thread: Some posters on reloading forums on surplus rifle boards describe another trick to minimize the problem of bulging 6.5 Arisaka cases. It involves wrapping a band of scotch tape around the circumference of the case just ahead of the extractor groove, before initial firing. This allows the case to expand a bit, but it doesn't all happen on the weaker side of the case. Warning: I've never tried this, and don't know whether it works as described.

It sounds like a nifty rifle. Good luck with it.
--Bob

--Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My love affair with my dad's old Arisaka is at least part of the reason for my continued interest in firearms today. When I was of the age counted in single digits, my dad introduced me to the gun and told me that it could be taken apart (field stripped) without tools, but he didn't remember how to do it. We worked at it until we figured it out. I still remember today, as verified recently at the "used" counter of a local gun store. At that early age, it was a matter of great pride for me that I understood the workings of this rifle and could disassemble and reassemble it in seconds. Occasionally I would beg my dad to take me to his room and let me disassemble "the Jap" to reaffirm my understanding of the rifle, my relationship with my dad, and myself. These are some of my fondest memories of childhood and my father.

The rifle was brought back from WWII by my father, who was in the U.S. Navy. He said it was in very rough shape at the beginning, until he sporterized it himself. By the time I came to be, the rifle's stock was heavily sanded and refinished, the top wood removed, and the barrel shortened. Interestingly, the crysanthimum [sp] mark on this rifle is not defaced.

A couple years prior to my coming of legal hunting age, my father took the rifle to a gunsmith named Joe Sisal of Ithaca, MI to have open sights installed and be checked-out before firing. My dad always told me that some of these rifles were booby-trapped by the enemy to blow-up in the shooter's face, and he never fired it, so he didn't know if it was safe. When we picked-up the gun at the gunsmith's, there was a box of Norma ammunition with 156 grain bullets and with two fired casings in the box. The rifle then wore new Williams brand sights - a WGOS rear with square notch, and a ramped bead front. After firing the rifle at home, we determined that it did not shoot accurately enough to hunt with (the bore is very worn and dark). Even so, my love affair with that rifle and it's simple design and function continued.

When I attended small arms repair course AIT at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, the knowledge gained in part from "playing" with "the Jap" through the years served me well. I had a spotless record on the P-range, which means I experienced no weapon test-fire malfunctions after my first attempt at diagnosing and repairing multiple weapons with known defects. These included rifles, pistols, and machineguns. We also learned to repair mortars and shotguns but they were not test-fired at the P-range.

Another skill that was taught to me by my father was how to shoot. He had an old Winchester semi-auto 22 (forget the model) that was fed by a tubular magazine, and loaded through an angular hole in the side of the buttstock. Not often, but on several occasions, my father took me out behind the house with the rifle and a box of the cheapest 22 ammo he could find. There we would shoot at bottlecaps from a range of about 10 yards. The small bead front and U-shaped notch rear sights facilitated taking a very fine bead on those caps, and hits came regularly. Years later, I applied what I learned from my father, and some new "knowledge" learned from the drill sergeants, and qualified as Expert on my first attempt in basic training at Ft. Dix, NJ.

Thank you for inspiring the memories. I apologize if the information in this lengthy post was not what you were looking for. I still have "the Jap" and a box of Norma cartridges. One day I will dig it out and shoot it again. Then, with renewed perspective and continued learning from a lifetime of shooting and reloading, maybe I can contribute something of worth to you. As always, have your old warhorse rifle verified safe to fire by a competent gunsmith BEFORE firing it.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you so much for all of the info! That was a good story, BTW. I had no idea bout the welling of the brass. If it becaomes an excessive problem, I can use the ideas suggested, or I guess I could rechamber to 6.5-257. We'll have to see when I get her up and running later in the year

so many projects - so little time!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
iambrb,I picked up a nicely sporterized Arisaka 38 a couple of years ago for under a $100 also.Someone had put a lot of work into this rifle having the barrel turned down and tapered,highly polished and blued,trigger work down,[bleep] stock and drilled and tapped for scope mounts.I shoot 120 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips over 4895 in Graf brass and I have not had any problems with the brass welling.It is extremely accurate and very pleasant to shoot because of the mild recoil.I was going to try it on deer but since it doesn't have open sights the safety is very difficult to manipulate under the scope,in fact is is a very difficult safety to use even without the scope mounted,so for safety reasons I have only used this rifle at the range and groundhog hunting as a single shot.I thought about taking it to a gunsmith to see if there was something that could be done with the safey or possibly a replacement available but haven't gotten around to it,but it's still fun to shoot.I think you like it.You should read Chuck Hawks(www.chuckhawks.com)article on the 6.5x50 Arisaka,it gives you some helpful information.Hope you enjoy it.Bob

"Individual liberty depends on keeping government under control" Ronald Reagan

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, the safety is very difficult to operate with a scope mounted. One thing that can be done to eliminate the problem is to replace the trigger with an aftermarket trigger that has an integral safety. I have seen this done on other Ariskas. With this modification, one can leave the original safety in the FIRE position and rely on the trigger safety.

If no scope is mounted, the original safety is not nearly as difficult to operate because one can get at it with the heel of the hand. Operating the safety involves manually compressing the striker spring by pushing the safety knob toward the muzzle and rotating the safety knob (can't remember if CW is safe or CCW). With a little practice, it is not too difficult.

But one has to wonder if the results of modifying an old Arisaka is worth all the work and expense. Every time I see a modified Arisaka, I wonder why it was chosen over a Mauser or some other surplus rifle. My guess is that was the least costly alternative at the time, or possibly for sentimental reasons. OTOH, my Arisaka 38 is very smooth-operating and reliable, even though it is a cock-on-closing design, and by all accounts the action is very strong. And the 6.5x50 is certainly a capable deer hunting round.

It's all good.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
keystone/Big Red,

Whoever did mine did all the D&T'ing and the bolt bending too, but the bolt bend is not the best, so only scopes with very small ocular lenses will work. i happen to have a Weaver K3 that works well, but I think I will have it properly replaced in the near future.

As to the Graf Brass, I happen to have 50 headed my way for $25!

In looking at alternatives to the safety, I did find that Timney makes a neat trigger with side safety, and while the stock will require a little work, it can be fairly easily done, and make the gun safe, and you can buy that whole assy for about $65, but until then, one alternative is to simplt lift the bolt handle part of the way up, thus disabling the firing mech. but it is not a tactile way, and would would have to be careful

Lastly, I will be the first to say that for the expense of doing all that work, I would never choose an Arisaka or a Mauser either, as there are too many good actions from commercial makers out there that can be had for less, but sombody already did this to the gun, and I could see where the design emphasis was headed, so for as little as I paid, why not?

_
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an Arisaka, and found it to be a fun little rifle. I used mine to hunt hogs in the coastal marsh. I figure if the jungles of Burma and the South Pacific couldn't hurt it, then a little marsh water wouldn't do it any harm.

PO Ackley wrote of the excellent strength of the receiver. The safety is hard to work with a scope mounted, but I found I could manage it by pushing and turning it with just my thumb. An after market trigger with an intregal safety is a good idea. Makes life easy.

There is a wide variety of 6.5mm bullets. The 160 grain round nose bullets will do rude things to big swamp hogs. That is a great 150 yard bullet. Penetration is off the charts.

The Arisaka is not a slick action for a custom rifle, but it is as reliable as an anvil. It is also a piece of history. Use it and have fun with it. Makes the best foul weather rifle I can think of. It sure is a conversation starter. You will be surprised at how many guys will tell you their father had one as a war souvenir.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read, many years ago, of someone who used drill bits to rechamber one to .30-06. He drilled out the neck area large enough to take the .30-06 neck and bullet, but left the bore the original 6.5.

Supposedly, the action held, although it swaged the .30 caliber bullet down to 6.5. He did write that the recoil was brutal. Actually, the subject of his letter was why it kicked so much.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1234567
I read, many years ago, of someone who used drill bits to rechamber one to .30-06. He drilled out the neck area large enough to take the .30-06 neck and bullet, but left the bore the original 6.5.

Supposedly, the action held, although it swaged the .30 caliber bullet down to 6.5. He did write that the recoil was brutal. Actually, the subject of his letter was why it kicked so much.

This is an "interesting" story, but conspicuously missing is the statement that says how BAD and how DANGEROUS is such a conversion. I know that most folks who post onthis board understand the danger, but it would be tragic if someone less-informed misconstrued this post and actually tried the conversion.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The was reported i9n American Rifleman many moons ago (IIRC).

Very danerous. But a testament to the very strong actions, tho.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know how dangerous such a conversion would be, but the reason I did not add a precaution was because, if someone did something like this, I doubt if there is any precautions would get their attention.

What I mean is, if someone drills out a barrel for another cartridge, completely ignoring the bore size, chamber, new cartridge size, and everything else, what could you say to them to make them aware of the danger?

There is nothing to prevent someone from doing this.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have three of them.Have taken deer with two.Have reloaded certainly hundreds of rounds,likely thousands,haven't kept track.
The first one is still in original military condition,brought back by my father in law,who served on the carrier Bennington in WWII.They came back from shore leave one day and found many thousands of them in a huge pile on the dock.He and many shipmates took souvenirs.I bought two boxes of Norma ammo ,and we "liberated" the rifle ,unwittingly,on December 7,1968.It proved to be very accurate with those long 156gr. bullets,even with issue sights.
Next is a mod 38 carbine,chopped back stock,issue sights removed,replaced with a sporter front and redfield peep in the rear.The bolt was nicely bent.The guy who had it had been a SeaBea,who took two of them from two of several enemy soldiers he had killed in self defense while building an airstrip.
He sporterized both of them,kept one,gave the other to his brother in law.Said they managed to bring two plus cases of jap ammo back.Made their own dies,pulled the full patch bullets and found a supply of 6.5 softpoints with which they loaded the cartridges,using the original powder and primers.He and his brother in law were well drillers and farmers in the Catskills,and shared adjoining farms.They perportedly killed several dozen deer every year on those farms,from just after the war until the mid 1970s,using only those rifles and that ammo,until they finally ran out.They both raised large families on that venizon.I acquired that rifle for $35 about 1980.
It has been accurate to very accurate with bullets from 85 grains up to 160 grains of various brands.Took two deer with it,both under seventy yards,but have shot it at targets up to 300 yds.,and if the opportunity arose,wouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer at that distance.
The third,another carbine,is without doubt the nicest sporterized Arisaka I've ever seen.It has an 18 1/2" barrel and is done in a full manlicher style.Side mount for the scope places the scope nicely over center bore.Stock wood can only be described as beautiful.It has been converted to 6.5x57,shoots a wide variety of bullets very well.Has accounted for numerous chucks and another deer,also at about 70 yds.
After having tried probably forty different cartridges for potential conversion,and having sprung an RCBS junior press in the process,I found that very servicable brass can be made from .35 Remington.No problem to do,normal cartridge lube,one pass through a full length sizing die and your good to go.
The bulging cases usually occur with Norma brass.It tends to be soft,and the Arisaka chambers were generous to allow operation under adverse conditions.I have experienced no such problems with converted .35 Remington cases,and I tend to drive these cases a little on the warm side.I found all three of my rifles seem to shoot tighter in the upper reaches of velocity,regardless of the projectile.
You may or not be aware that the barrels of these rifles are chrome lined,which adds to their value as all weather rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story, steve1. Thank you.

My 38 had a chrome-lined bore at one time. smile

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many were rechambered to 6.5 x 57. Some were not marked. Make sure it is still 6.5 Arisaka before firing.

Bruce

Last edited by bcp; 03/01/08.
Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
I have an M38 which has been restocked, new bolt handle, Timney trigger with side safety, drilled and tapped and 4X scope. I don't think the trigger with safety is still available. The barrel is a GI barrel from a carbine. This rifle will reliably group Norma factory loads into 1.5" at 100 yards, 3 shot groups. It has nothing resembling accuracy with any 120 grain loads I have tried. With some 140 grain loads it seems to duplicate the results with the Norma ammo, but with one load it would put the first 2 shots less than an inch apart and then throw the third one 5" high. What the reason for this was is a mystery, but it repeated this performance several times over. I have since changed scopes, and I'll have to start over again to see what gives. It is very pleasant to shoot this cartridge, and it essentially duplicates the old 6.5 Mannlicher Schoenauer cartridge which was well thought of some years ago.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have an 6.5 carbine, I bought it in the mid 1970's for fifty bucks. I first had a williams peep sight installed, did not like the peep sight so I had a bushnell four power scope mounted on the rifle, also bought a sporter stock for it. I took the Arisaka deer hunting about four times, killed a small blacktail buck with it about ten years ago, did not shoot it again untill last summer. I went to a gunshow about three months ago and purchased ten boxes of once fired Norma factory brass for thirty five bucks, can't wait to reload it.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Didn't some call the 6.5x57 a 6.5 Roberts. Mine is on the old hook safety action.
Good Luck!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think the hook safety model is similar to a Mannlicher Carcano in strength. I don't think it is an Arisaka action.

You can't miss fast enough to win!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If I'm not mistaken it is just the opposite.The Japanese built a large number of Arisakas modified to meet the needs of the Italians,and chambered for the 6.5 Carcano.Can't find my reference just now,but if memory serves me correctly there were about 35,000 of them in that contract.
If I'm correct,I believe they will feed from a mauser type magazine,as opposed to the manlicher clip system of the carcano.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

234 members (12344mag, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 29 invisible), 1,859 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,290
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.