Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
What are yalls opinion of the Montana 1999 action for an elk hunting rifle?

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have 1 on a 325WSM and I won't buy another 1.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crittergetter
I have 1 on a 325WSM and I won't buy another 1.

Why not?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Do a search where you'll find plenty of not-so-good things regarding the MRC action.........

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Like any action, some people love them, some dont.

some like Remingtons, some like Winchesters, some like Sakos, some love Savages..............

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have 2 complete rifles with MRC actions, 1 300 wsm, and 1 257 wby mag. I am also in the process of having a 375H&H built off another one. If you do a search you will find that the are pretty heavy i.e 44oz. The quality control seems a little spotty in the older actions, but my experience with their customer service has been excellent.

I buy them with the notion that they will need another $200-$300 to fix them up and make them respectable to me. However I tend to do the same with Remington and Winchester actions as well.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I considered having a rifle built on the Montana action, but the weight was higher than I wanted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a stainless barreled action from them in .358 Win, and while heavier than I would like (I went to an "ADL-style" MacMillan Edge stock to lower the weight), it is incredibly accurate.

Mr. Williams - didn't your firm formerly make the floorplates for them?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have 2 S/A SS. They're chambered in 25-284 and 350 Rem. Mag. Both are quite good shooters, and reliable. Not the way to go if you're looking for a lightweight, but certainly not the abominations that many here will try to convince you of...

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As several have pointed out, the actions lean towards the heavy side...

A decent enough action to build on, but they do need some smoothing and squaring up.

Here's my .350 Rem Mag I had Hill Country Rifles build:

MRC 1999 SS action
Lilja #4 1:12 SS 20" barrel
Williams Claw Extractor
Bolt Polished and Jewelled
NECG Banded Front Sight
Brockman Pop-up Peep
Leupold VX-III 1.75-6x32mm Post&Duplex with Talley 8x40 QD Rings
McMillan EDGE Winchester Supergrade accurized by HCR
External metal Robar and internal metal NP3 coated
Stock painted by Rick Bin

Weighs in at exactly 8 pounds with three 225gr. Nosler Partitions.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

D
OP Offline
D
When you say that you are going to spend another few hundred to get them up to snuff-what kind of work needs to be done on MRC actions? Also, how are the barrels that come on their barreled actions? Would it be better to go with a different barrel?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Basically squaring up and truing the action as well as polishing.

No personal experience with their barrels, but have heard mixed reviews. Personally, since it's a custom build I would spring for a different barrel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a short action magnum (300WSM) and a long action std (30 MC - Like a 30 Gibbs) both chrome moly and acquired as part of their Charter Special. My actions have not been trued and they must be pretty square cause my 30MC regularly places 5 shots in less than 1/2 inch at 100 yards. The 300WSM is a bit different in that I have bedding issues with the McMillan stock but it looks like I have figured that one out too and it should shoot pretty well. I think there is a lot to like with the actions but you must be prepared to spend a few $$$ with a competent gunsmith. Yes, they are rough but that was always expected. I understand the new management is on a different path now so the action may be good to go straight away but they also cost more than what I paid.

MRC Barrels??? I bought one of their #3 contour .308 cal barrels for my WSM and after looking through it with a bore scope I would never buy their barrels ever again - just not worth the hassle and very minor cost saving. Hand lapped my foot! Shoots OK but fouls badly - go with a name brand.

Regards,
JohnT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My barreled action in .358 does not foul badly at all - the least of my many rifles. It also shoots extremely well - several groups at 1/4 inch from a .358 Win and none over an inch with any load I've tried. My barrel is extremely smooth.

My brother's boss loves bore scopes - he gets to rebarrel many rifles because of them! wink

John T - who put the barrel on, and what action did it go on? Did you contact MRC about your barrel?

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So far I have owned four. All were lefthanded and stainless steel. Two were made into 458 Lotts, one is being made into a 35 Whelen and the last one is sitting in my safe for a yet unnamed project.
They may require some polishing if you are getting them blued but all the stainless actions I have are reasonably smooth and continue to become smoother as I use them.
If Win made leftie stainless rifles I would most likely stay with them but they dont. They make a great place to start a rifle build but I would not use them for a short magnum rifle. Like others have said, they are a wee bit heavy.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As originally made, the Montana actions were intended as the not-quite-finished basis for a custom rifle, since the 'smith would supposedly be finishing them up as part of the deal. But a lot of people bought them and just screwed barrels on, then expected everything to work smoothly.

Mine was gone through by Serengeti Rifles in the process of being made into a 7x57 with a Montana barrel and Serengeti stock. It has functioned flawlessly and is very accurate.

Now I understand they are being finished up a lot more at the Montana factory, but the price has also more than doubled.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i recieved my barreled action last fall so far everything looks good i finally brought it to my smith to blueprint and polish a month ago so probally another month it will be done and then report more on it.When buying actions they are rough as to the smith doing work to finish to the customers desire

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not sure what parts you guys are referring to that are rough? All of mine seem as smooth as any other rifle I have owned.
As far as doubling the price I just purchased two stainless left hand actions in Jan and both were under $600 (10% off sale).

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My experience with the Montana 1999 action and barrel was not good. Had one put in a wonderful Serengeti stock. I just couldn't get the rifle to shoot, I'm talking 1-2" groups. Serengite rebedded the rifle and recrowned it, didn't help. It was a 257Bob. I am currently having it rebarreled by a local smith who told me he'd never seen an action that needed more squaring. My action and barrel were some of the first, like M.D. says maybe they are getting better. I hope so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One MRC 1999 in 375 H&H (stainless), one in 270 Win (CM). Neither has been shot much but good groups so far. 375's raceways are a little rough but will probably smooth up with use.

Given a choice for a new build, I'd probably use a beat out pre-64 Win 70 or a 98 Mauser. Not quite sure why, as I would need to upgrade the 70 or 98 with one piece, inside-the-bolt bottom metal and improved 3-way safety and that takes the price above the MRC. Thinking about it now, I get a lot of confidence from the use of an action that's been around for decades, and for me, on an expensive hunt, that's worth a bundle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

633 members (06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 2003and2013, 73 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,189,553
Posts18,434,507
Members73,870
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.