Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I went to our local sportsman's show today and saw a booth that was offering custom rifles and scopes, I got to looking everything over and these guys acted like all the things they had where new and cutting edge and noone else sells anything like it, after I left I looked at the brochure and about fell over, they charge $3500 for essentially an accurized remington sendero and one of their scopes that has a BDC dial on it, if you want the full custom that is 6k has a custom action with what looks like a mcmillian stock and one of their huskemaw scopes with BDC dial, I guess these guys may sucker a few rich guys who don't know better but good god give me a brake how stupid do these guys think people are

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thing is people will buy it!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. I've seen their schit. Definitely geared toward the unknowing with $ money in their pockets. They turn them into snipers overnight......grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen a few Charletains do over a CZ 550 with a new stock and try to sell them for 5K as a custom DGR. One is born every moment, I guess...

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They turn them into snipers overnight

There's the rub, unfortunately. Some guy sees their show or video, says I can do that too, buys the setup and goes out trying to whack stuff LR w/o putting in the time to truly learn the game. Only bad can come out of that equation.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Those are the guys with the TV show selling all the DVDs.

I'll pass, although it appears one or two of them can shoot.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by safariman
I have seen a few Charletains do over a CZ 550 with a new stock and try to sell them for 5K as a custom DGR. One is born every moment, I guess...

Whom might that be?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've watched their show and seen their video and always wondered how many animals were wounded and lost in shooting at these long distances? Exactely how much was really edited out. So many unknown variables between the end of the barrel and an animal at 600-900 yds..

2Seventy

Member: NRA Life Benefactor
Gun Owners of America
2nd Amendment Foundation
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think they use match Berger bullets. I cant see how that would kill and animal cleanly. Match rounds dont expand like hunting bullets. They must miss a lot they just dont show it. How accurate can a factory tuned rifle be at those distances? A Rem is lucky to shoot less than 1moa. The scope look cheap as well. Ill stick to NF,Zeiss and Swarovski.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I doubt they miss anything and further doubt that they wound any game......and BTW berger bullets are awesome hunting bullets, lack of expansion is definately not a problem.

I dont agree with the price of thier guns or thier choice of scopes, but believe them to be ethical long range hunters. What that means is that they do not take shots they are unsure of and they shoot thousands of rounds each year to know what they are capable of and what thier equipment including range finders windmeters etc. are capable of.

I used to think shooting long range was some kind of voodoo. After several thousand rounds at 700 plus yards I realize that it isnt magic and doesnt take that much talent at all. It does however take a lot more dedication than most hunters are willing to expend. If you havent shot a target at that range several hundred times with good results dont launch a bullet at a game animal.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually I caught a bear hunt they did in AK, it was on TV a while ago, they dropped blackies at 700+, both were DRT. The one guy also dusted a grizz at about 600 I think, it took two shots, he ran about fifty yards after the first shot, then went down. Both were taken with 7mm Rem Mags or 7mm Ultra Mags shooting Berger VLDs

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EddyBo
I doubt they miss anything and further doubt that they wound any game......

Wrong on both counts. Been there but haven't done that, but I've seen it and heard much about it. Problem is that in many locales you have no clue about wind currents which can swirl in a different direction, particularly in hunting situations when shooting that distance across canyons. You do get multiple shots at that distance only because in most instances the game is unaware of danger. They don't have a clue they are being hunted and at those distances the gun report means little and an errant bullet hitting nearby means nothing. I've had philosophical discussions with one of the principals of Best of the West, understand their approach and just can't buy into it.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may be right as I do not know the guys, but one shot kills at the ranges they are shooting are not difficult and not chancy as some would have you imagine. If they are missing animals because they are shooting in situations where they know that a miss or wounding shot is a good possibility because of high winds then maybe they are not real long range hunters as I assumed. The wind is almost always the deciding factor when shooting long range. Even so I would bet they have a better ratio of one shot kills than the average hunter who does not hunt long range.
I would like to hear more about who your discussing this with. I am going to post a link to your statment on a forum that I know Mr. Burns visits and see his response to your accusations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I accused no one of anything and Burns is no longer connected with them and hasn't been for a good while. I HAVE heard of quite a number of one shot kills at very extended ranges, one exceeding 1100 yards, but I question that is the norm.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to enjoy the show and loved to see the turrets being utilized. Also agreed with them promoting lots of practice. Only thing I don't agree with is the prices of the rifles listed at the beginning of this thread, but I don't have to buy one.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just reread your post bobski and appolagize. I read your post to state that you were accusing them of missing game and wounding game because of errant wind reads. If you were not making that accusation I am sorry. If you were making that accusation was that from info you gained from one of the "principles" while discussing philosophy. I am interested in knowing.
BTW I think that my misuderstanding is understandable when you quote part of my post stating that I doubt they miss or wound anything..and then state that I am wrong on both counts. I dunno maybe I am just grumpy from being down with the flu.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
this is just the same-ol same-ol of calling it tactical and charging more. 20 years ago, my buds and I laffed at the kids that came strutting thru the gunshows wearing all the black SWAT stuff and trying to look cool. Now, all those kids have MBA's, and alot more cash, so they read a couple of manuals and accuracy books bought at Cabela's and think they are David ubb or Carlos Hathcock......If they even know whow that is.

Just because you read about somebody doing it with the same rifle you have doesn't mean you can too......................

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by iambrb

Just because you read about somebody doing it with the same rifle you have doesn't mean you can too......................

Just because you can't do it... doesn't mean that everyone else can't either.

Don't know that I'd call the rifles they're building a joke... untill I have a chance to sit behind one and bomb off a couple of rounds. The prices, on the other hand, are a bit on the comical side. Seems it's pretty common to rag on the guys from BOTW lately... but I don't see to many of us here on the campfire willing to put our money where our mouths are and produce a hunting/shooting video. Or, spend the time it takes to aquire the skills and experience neccessary to build rifles capable of taking game in the 1/2 mile range (I know there's a fair number of 'smiths on this board too). Untill I do either, I'm not passing judgement on someone who has done both. ~josh

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I'll pass, although it appears one or two of them can shoot.

I've shot against John Porter at several NBRSA Hunter Nationals benchrest tournaments. He's as bad-azz a BR shooter as you can get..matter of fact, he kicked all our tails last season at Porcupine, S.D. to become the 2007 NBRSA Hunter Benchrest National Champion. He's also a nice guy that's very humble about his accomplishments.

These guys are serious, long range hunters that are very scientific in both their approach to this and the gear they use. Don't be too quick to dismiss what they do as typical blam-blam dolts flingin' bullets at game at ridiculous ranges.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
630 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.