Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I do lots of my own stuff but I want this right. Sako stock that is cracked and open enough that the bottom metal has a gap.

Who? How much should I expect to pay?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Simple fix... No need to get someone else.

Resist the urge to install stock bolts or metal pins!

Drill some small holes in the inside around the shelf base and through it. Mix some epoxy (acraglass would be fine) with fibers to a fairly stiff paste.

Work the mixed epoxy into the crack and all around the break, across the shelf and up the walls of the inside of the stock.

SWEEP THE MIXED EPOXY OFF THE INSIDES OF THE BREAK.

Mixing some unreinforced epoxy for the break faces may be worth considering but probably is not needed.

Clamp and release several times to work some epoxy into the break faces. Reclamp and allow the epoxy to cure.

A little clean-up and you will be good to go.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I second what Art mentioned. accraglass works. I recently inletted my 416 and broke off part of the stock. Glassed it back on and when I glassed the action (add strenght to the broke part), I think it may just be the strongest part of the stock.

[Linked Image]

Give it a try.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1 on what Sitka said..........Acraglass is amazing stuff if done right.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Epoxy is great stuff.But Art said mix in mini-fibers.It's for gap filling.When done, it will be the stongest area of that stock.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Daveh;
You have been given some excellent advice already. I will add only that I have had excellent success fixing stocks much more damaged than yours from quad and horse wrecks and they are still out working.

As a last thought, at times I�ve used a bicycle inner tube as a clamp for the uneven surfaces on some areas of the stocks.

Good luck on your stock repair.
Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Mr. Daveh;
You have been given some excellent advice already. I will add only that I have had excellent success fixing stocks much more damaged than yours from quad and horse wrecks and they are still out working.

As a last thought, at times I�ve used a bicycle inner tube as a clamp for the uneven surfaces on some areas of the stocks.

Good luck on your stock repair.
Regards,
Dwayne

Several tight wraps of electricians tape works, also, and for the same reasons as the inner tube. (don't forget the epoxy) lol

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Several tight wraps of electricians tape works, also, and for the same reasons as the inner tube. (don't forget the epoxy) lol

I saw a Savage 99 in .250 with an evidently busted tang fixed that way, they ignored the epoxy part of the fix, and just did the several wraps (looked like whole roll) of tape around the tang. smile Sorry, I didn't add any value here, but you reminded me of that poor gun.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
1" wide inner tube strips work far better for clamping irregular surfaces than spring clamps or tape.

You should be able to permanently fix that break following Sitka Deer's instructions..Jim

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. I have fixed cracks before but...... the reason I asked here and neglected to mention in the post. Duh. You can't easily squeeze the crack together. Quite a bit of tension holding it apart.

I guess I was afraid of breaking something by clamping it back together while the Acraglas Gel hardened. I didn't think about holes - Great tip.

Dave

IC B3

Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Too add - I also thought that maybe it will require a cross-bolt to keep it from breaking again.

More thoughts??????

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before you repair, you might need to deal with the reason the stock split in the first place. One way would be to clamp the stock until the split is closed, then see whether it accepts the barreled action. If it won't, relieve the inletted surfaces until they fit, then perform the epoxy repair as discussed above.

If the repair is performed on a properly inletted stock the epoxy ought to hold it. My view is that crossbolts are necessary on bigger magnums, not necessary on .243, and maybe, maybe not, worthwhile as insurance in between.

If your SAKO is an early L579 and you want to go another route, I've got a well used but sound factory stock that's just sitting around.

Last edited by Lansend; 03/19/08. Reason: re crossbolts
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I believe it split just because of an issue with the wood but not sure. I am 99% sure it'll fit once closed up.

It's a fairly uncommon AIII Classic grade.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stock bolts rarely add anything to the strength of a stock and usually do far more damage than good. The main reason they fail is the fact wood and metal are dissimilar and react very differently to temps and stresses.

They can be used and used well, but the effort to do it right is major and advantages are small.

No point in inletting twice. Repair once and inlet as needed after.

The clamping method is pretty open... A sound bike tire tube can be wrapped around the area with a block of wood as a filler. You want it loose to start. Then inflate the tube and allow some air to work all the way through the tube. Then finish inflating the tube and there will be plenty of pressure on the mend.

As to why it cracked, there are a lot of possible reasons and we can only guess right now. Possible culprits include getting the stock very wet in the action area and shooting it. Having it wetter on one side than the other would increase possible stresses.

Sloppy initial inletting... Wet blank to start with... Drying stresses in the wood... An errant chisel or tool splitting it during construction.... Improper assembly at some point... And you could go on and on...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Daveh Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So you think a plain old clamp or vice with padding and Acraglas will pull it together and hold.

Thanks again Sitka and others !!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sitka is definitely the person to take advice from when there's a wood project or wood stock to be discussed....

laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Very informative thread.

I'd also offer that one of the nice qualities about epoxy is that it can bridge gaps if it is of the proper consistency and handled correctly. Most air drying adhesives can't do that.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be inclined to auger out a bit of wood, then dovetail in a bit of aluminun and glass that goes well past the crack on each side. Aluminum would be easy to workup with garage level tools. Given that I will not tolerate failure while hunting, I'd do the absolute best fix you are capable of generating. Good luck, 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 03/19/08.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And aluminum has been the source of many failures I have had to refix... My days of bedding metal in wood are way behind me... I used to think it was a great idea, too.

I have not had an epoxy-repaired stock break anywhere near the epoxy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems to me that a lot of stress opened up that crack in the web. You don't think it will split again in the web after the repair?

Disclaimer - I'm a woodbutcher by trade, but never done much work on stocks.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
259 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.