Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Any experiences, good or bad, with a Franchi 48AL??

Looking at one in a 20ga and seems like a nice little gun.

Thank you!

Mark

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
great guns i have a 12 and 28ga.They are light so kick a little harder then other makes but they fly to the shoulder like no other shotgun does

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have a 20 w/24"bbl. Not as forgiving as gas guns as regards loads, but sure are nimble. One thing you need to remember is to correctly install the friction ring assy: bevel on steel ring toward the spring for lite loads, and toward the bronze ring for heavy loads. Always try loads at the "heavy" setting first. If they function OK, leave it there, otherwise change to the "light" setting. BTW, if the gun is used look to make sure the rings are installed. People have been known to forget to install 'em and lose 'em, and they're not always easy to find.

Hang on to your memories; they're better than the real thing ever was - Joe Sherlock

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had one, a .12 gauge with a full choke barrel. Man that thing was a tight shooting gun. It was light, and reliable. I sold it because I didn't have a need for the full choked barrel. The advise about the friction rings is sound advise. Use a light oil on the magazine tube the rings slide on.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
spud glad you brought up the rings i have to check that 28 ga althought it's small then a 20 it kicks like a jersey mule not noticed hunting field just any other time you pull trigger LOL

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My wife likes her youth model 20 gauge, but can't remember how to operate it from one year to the next and doesn't like recoil, so it's an O/U for her. I find the AL-48 more difficult to shoot well than my Mossberg 20 or my Verona O/U, but we have had no problems with it. It is nothing more than a Browning action anyway.
In cold weather(below 40 degrees) some folks have had trouble getting guns to eject shells properly. Fixes ranged from reversing the friction ring to removing it completely.

Living proof that expressing your opinion is not a good career advancement strategy.

There comes a time in a man's life when he has to start cutting and quit straddling fences. Ed Abbey
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They are not for lefties because the plunger-type safety is not reversible like, say, the Benellis.

Mine, in 20 ga., would also jam frequently and regardless of the friction ring or other adjustments I couldn't eliminate it completely. It probably was a problem that could have been fixed but because of the safety issue (non-reversible) I traded it for a Ben Montelfeltro.

They are nice and light however and I had the English stock and liked the looks of it.

Gdv

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have looked at this gun, but without exception, recoil is alway brought up when talking about them. I have been looking at the Montefletro as well.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The cast is what makes these things brutal to shoot... compounding weight issues a great deal...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think the Franchi 48 AL is probably a fine shotgun but not for me as I indicated. The recoil is unique in sensation but not formidable by any means. The Montefeltro (all Benellis) having an inertia system in contrast to the recoil-softening gas systems can also be said to recoil more but not that I notice in hunting scenarios.

The Franchi is about 75% (roughly) of the cost of the Ben Montefeltro. The biggest issue for me in getting a 20 ga. auto-loader was the reversible safety assuming an otherwise high quality shotgun. Had the Franch I had had that I probably would have kept it out and worked the other kink I mentioned.

Gdv

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 73 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.