Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
gerry35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My 1B Stainless 300 Win Mag should be here within 2 weeks. I have a sling that can fit 4 extra shells on it, what do you use to hold your shells for faster reloading.

Gerry.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't much worry about fast reloading but then I do carry extra rounds in a vest pocket - breast height. It is a Filson Cruiser Vest to be exact.

If I wanted fast reloading, I'd consider an elastic carrier worn on wrist or left arm.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use an elastic holder on the buttstock. Unfortunately it covers the pretty wood, but it gets the job done.

I loaded a bunch of dummy rounds and practiced, practiced, practiced from field positions.

Huntin' season yet?

The Freewheeling Tony Smith
Gunsmith/Machinist/Engine Builder
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've noticed that seasoned big game hunters in Africa, hunting dangerous game, hold an extra cartridge or two between the fingers of their right hand when shooting with single shot or double rifles... and they can get off two or three very fast shots with a single rifle... or four very quick shots (with a double-rifle) this way. smile

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They key is to take a shot and try reloading as fast as you can. This will tell you what you need. I put one of those butt stock cartridge holders on my #1 without really knowing what I do after the shot. When practicing, I realized that I bring my rifle down pretty low to work the lever - so low, that my trigger hand is just as close to a shirt pocket as it is to the cartridge holder. The big difference...I can shut my eyes (or keep them on my target) and still get my hands in a pocket every time. With the cartridge holder, I had to look down to find a cartridge everytime. That made up my mind for me.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've found adrenalin to work quite well. That and large pockets.

[Linked Image]
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Practice.

I'm doubly hampered, as my Low Wall doesn't even have an ejector. I use a buttstock carrier as well, and practice reloading drills with dummy ammo. It doesn't help that the scope gets in the way, so it really makes you focus on the fits shot - which is part of the whole cult of the one-shooter.

I've developed a specific set of moves that work OK, but I would not hunt dangerous game with a single without an ejector.

Honestly, I wouldn't hunt dangerous game with a single - period.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Like Brent, I rarely worry about a quick second shot. I do however usually use an elastic ammo carrier on the buttstock of my singleshots, so I can have the cartridges handy, if I need them. Not quick, but quick enough.

Antiue Marlins and single shot rifles!
NRA Life
OAC Member
HAMF Member
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you don't want elastic to cover the pretty wood, Uncle Mike's makes, or did make, an elastic cartidge carrier sized to be worn on the wrist.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Shells? Oh, those are back in the truck!!! smile

... but seriously ... you've gotten pretty good advice. When I hunt with a single shot, if things look like they're likely to get interesting I'll slip two in my left hand, 1 between the pinky and ring finger, one between the ring finger and middle finger. That's three pretty fast shots. My hands know where each other are better than knowing where my rifle butt is or my belt slide ... etc. Most of the time, I pack my spare ammo on a belt slide. That's where my spare ammo is whether it's a belt slide full of .44s, spare shells for my bolt action, or a pellet pounch full of .22s for the rimfire. I don't have to remember what gun I'm carrying, I just have to reach one place for shells. I do, however, sometimes sneak a shell or two into my shirt pocket on my left side ... just in case.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My wife made me an elastic band that holds 3 cartridges and fits on my left (weak side) wrist. It's held i n place with Velcro. I wear it slightly offset so that the cartridges line up toward the right side of the wrist with their tips pointed forward.Using it,my second shot isn't much slower than a second from a bolt action.

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Single shot........isn't one enough? Strive for the first and second won't be required.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yeah, if you need quickly, get a levergun.

Seriously, I use:
1. Shirt with sewn-in cartridge pockets above the left shirt pocket, 2 of them for 2 rounds, with suede collars to grip but not bind. One shirt holds .30-06 size, the other holds .375 H&H.

2. Westley Richards cartridge wallet on the belt holds 4 rounds.

3. Trapdoor cartridge holder in the comb of the buttstock holds 4 rounds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. gerrygoat;
I�ve used an Allen or Uncle Mike�s elastic butt cuff on most of our rifles for awhile now. I�m likely not the fastest gun around, but I was able to hit a running mule deer on the 1st and 3rd shot with the older No. 1 I often hunt with.

I note that I hunt the south Okanagan mostly, so it�s usually pretty dry. I�d think exposed-ammo butt cuff systems might not be the answer if you are out in too much inclement weather. I�ll add I�ve never tried to intentionally subject my ammunition to the elements, I suppose one should sometime in the interest of science.

Some have made the valid point that a butt cuff adds weight to a rifle and potentially ruins the balance and handling qualities. I wouldn�t say it does not do that, but I have learned to adapt.

Speaking of handling qualities, you might want to experiment a bit with off hand shooting with a sling that has 4 rounds of ammo in it. I tried one for a bit that held a lock back knife in it, which while being handy was a bit too much of a pendulum for me to overcome while shooting offhand.

Anyway, good luck with your new stainless No.1.They are a sharp looking rifle to my way of thinking.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use a butt stock carrier also with only 2 or 3 rounds. Yes it covers the nice wood, but also protects it from scratches. One of the wrist carriers sounds nice, but I don't think I'd care to keep them on the sling. YMMV.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
gerry35 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The word "quickly" might not have been the best wording. This will be primarly a rifle for tree stand hunting and looking over big swamps in search of moose with my 35 Whelen getting to hunt in the thick stuff. With that type of hunting there is usually lots of time to get the perfect shot. BTW I try my very best to hit on the first shot like the rest of you do, but sometimes things go wrong. Besides moose often don't go down on the first shot even when hit well so you can bet I'll be looking for a shell pretty quick. Thanks to all.

Gerry.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I make these beside the holsters. They are 18-20" and adjust down to whatever fit. But can be made to any length requested. Works well on the wrist, I also have used mine around the barrel/forend just ahead of the receiver on my #1.
I can run the loops either direction to the band.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dave

Life is a journey of many trails, the trail you choose, is not as important as how you walk it.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
LRF and a couple of others: Of course one should always make the first shot count, regardless of what one is hunting with (single shot, bolt gun, lever action, or whatever). However, anyone who has hunted very much knows that things sometimes happen regardless of how carefully/closely we stalk, aim, squeeze, etc.

Being quick with #1's and follow-up shots requires only good backup ammo placement and practice.

Huntin' season yet?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If one needs quick reloads, one should use a repeater.

I find that the Ruger #1 is not quick to reload for several reasons. Fired casings hit the safety slide and sit on the breechblock requiring manual removal. A scope extends rearward over the breech and obstructs the chamber for loading. The rifle does not break open, which means the barrel and chamber are level (or pointing upward), which means the rifle must be purposely tilted downward to get a round to stay in the chamber without falling out.

I like my Ruger #1s, but I don't try to fool myself into thinking it is quick to load or reload.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big readhead: I prefer to think of my single shots as 'manually loaded' repeaters.

My 1B's in 270, 30/06, and 22-250 all throw the empties 'free and clear'.

Huntin' season yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
501 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 43 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.