Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Landrum Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
if you were up close and personal with a big brown bear?

Now, I don't own a 338 Win. Mag. but I have sent many .338 bullets downrange from a 340 Wby. Likewise, I have shot a lot of 9.3 ammo. I've hunted with both.

I have wondered which would be the better option in stopping a bear. Imagine yourself in a situation where you had to shoot and shoot quickly. And for the sake of conversation, there are no variables such as rifle familiarity, recoil tolerance etc., etc, to ponder. In other words, you are equally proficient with either rifle/cartridge.

If you were in a situation where you had to stop a bear, which rifle would you hope to have in your hands? There may not be much difference in the stopping power of the two cartridges. And yes...........we all know about shot placement. But still, which would you rather have when the chips are down?

Landrum

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

x62

Why - the powder column is shorter and won't bite as much but you still get that thump of a whelen, heck it's better than a whelen

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
9.3: 5 320gr Woodleighs +1 up the spout.

Although, since you asked about bears I will say that I have a very near- Pavlovian reaction wherein if you say "bear," I say "four- five- eight." If I know there will be bear, close bear, then it's my 458 Win Mag with 450gr TSX's.

Last edited by Oregon45; 03/22/08.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Plus 1 on that Bro.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Landrum

I have wondered which would be the better option in stopping a bear. And for the sake of conversation, there are no variables such as rifle familiarity, recoil tolerance etc., etc, to ponder. In other words, you are equally proficient with either rifle/cartridge.

If you were in a situation where you had to stop a bear, which rifle would you hope to have in your hands? There may not be much difference in the stopping power of the two cartridges. And yes...........we all know about shot placement. But still, which would you rather have when the chips are down? Landrum

I do not believe it would make any noticeable difference whatsoever. The two cartridges provide so nearly the same terminal performance that no bear would ever know the difference.

Either one would be an enormous improvement over a flat rock grin.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Landrum

Now, I don't own a 338 Win. Mag. but I have sent many .338 bullets downrange from a 340 Wby. Likewise, I have shot a lot of 9.3 ammo. I've hunted with both.

I have wondered which would be the better option in stopping a bear. Imagine yourself in a situation where you had to shoot and shoot quickly. And for the sake of conversation, there are no variables such as rifle familiarity, recoil tolerance etc., etc, to ponder. In other words, you are equally proficient with either rifle/cartridge.

If you were in a situation where you had to stop a bear, which rifle would you hope to have in your hands? There may not be much difference in the stopping power of the two cartridges. And yes...........we all know about shot placement. But still, which would you rather have when the chips are down?

Landrum
Up close to a big brown bear, there is no question: I'd much rather have the 9.3x62 Mauser. More lead, bigger bullet, five rounds instead of three or four in the mag, more knock down, less chance of bullet failure/fragmentation at close range.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seems most of them issues would be solved with a Barnes, plus good luck getting off 5 shots on a bear 10 yards away.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I own 5 .338WM rifles always loaded in Grizzly country with 250NPs at 2750-2800 fps-mv and I own 3-9.3 rifles loaded with 286 NPs at 2400 fps-mv. I would rate them about equal in this scenario and would be comfortable with either.

I would, however, prefer my custom .375H&H P-64 "shorty" with 300 NPs loaded to 2500 fps-mv and just got a Browning Safari CRF in .458WM to customize as my final Grizzly rifle, probably with 450 SAFs at 2150-2200 fps-mv. I WOULD prefer this over ANY other rifle as I have been close enough to Grizzlies to smell them several times and believe in bigger is best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4 me it would not matter which one round I used, now if I was more intimate with one rifle than the other then it would be a no brainer for me.

Personally, I feel that stopping bruins @ close range is all about CNS hits. I'll take one well placed round to the CNS and I'd prefer not to wonder if I can turn the bruin with a non CNS shot.

A fella I know does a lot of work with grizzlies (he trains them for movie work and such) timed one of his bruins in a 50 yd dash. And keep in mind that this is a "soft" captive bruin. Said track star made it the 50 in several timings from 2.9 seconds to 4.5 seconds.

Now, say he starts at you from 10 yds like Steely mentioned what will your choice of shot be, as it may well be your last....

Just a thought to chew over

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 10 % differance in power , a bear wood not notice ! A short light highly manoeverable rifle is what is needed. These can be had in rifles built on the 06 type case. For an undistrubed bear at medium distances a 3006 with 180gr TSX or a 200gr something else will do the bear with a precision shot.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 338 Win Mag has the magazine deficit problem relative to the 9.3. And obviously one will not get off two more shots with a 9.3 at 27 yards than one might with the 338 if a dead charge is what is considered. However, since the real deal might easily involved a charging bear, then a wounded bear, then a slowed but still dangerous bear, then the fourth or fifth shot start making a lot of sense.

Then again, the belted magnum has an advantage over the 9.3 in that for absolute reliability it has both a better shoulder and that redundantly useful belt in ensure positive headspace which might prevent a disasterous misfire.

There, didn't solve a thing.....or maybe some really good 220s look like alright in the 30-06. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
338 Win Mag/300gr Woodleigh, which gets around 2500fps.

Taking my rifle for a walk
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My first brown bear got into the alders because I was a chump,inexperienced,and did not hit him correctly; he was also a very dead bear,lying down-wind of his backtrail, but as we followed in that rainforest, I did not know that at the time;the 375 had shrunk to the dimensions of a slingshot with marbles, so I completely understand Kute's comments on "bigger is better", but would prefer a 375 to either of the other cartridges mentioned here;I would not expect the 9.3 to hold any advantage over a 338 with heavy bullets, but I've been wrong about these things before........

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
too bad we can't ask Grizzly Man, the dufus that lived with the bears how fast they move...he knew for sure...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by kutenay
I own 5 .338WM rifles always loaded in Grizzly country with 250NPs at 2750-2800 fps-mv and I own 3-9.3 rifles loaded with 286 NPs at 2400 fps-mv. I would rate them about equal in this scenario and would be comfortable with either.

I would, however, prefer my custom .375H&H P-64 "shorty" with 300 NPs loaded to 2500 fps-mv and just got a Browning Safari CRF in .458WM to customize as my final Grizzly rifle, probably with 450 SAFs at 2150-2200 fps-mv. I WOULD prefer this over ANY other rifle as I have been close enough to Grizzlies to smell them several times and believe in bigger is best.

Boy would I like to be your heir..... grin grin

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
YEA M that would be nice wouldn't it? HEY,maybe you can get him to adopt ya!!!!

til later

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
plus good luck getting off 5 shots on a bear 10 yards away.

With the presence of mind to do so...........me I would be dead with dirty shorts!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EZEARL
YEA M that would be nice wouldn't it? HEY,maybe you can get him to adopt ya!!!!

til later

Nope those rifles will go to a CANADIAN LOGGER named Mike...grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
.........Kute is in need of a foreign asset(M70) protection vehicle with a reliable fiduciary to save these assets from egregious inheritance, or other, taxes, probing creditors, etc.............I will volunteer..... wink cool

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well Bob if ya ever come up for a moose hunt I'll give ya the rifle you used to get your bull.Out of fairness and respect for kute I'll need to keep the rest.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 57 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,078
Posts18,463,841
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.