Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1234567 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I inherited this old revolver.

I want to list it in the Classifieds, and I need to get an estimate of a fair price for it.

It is a Mervin & Hulbert .32 Cal. 5 shot Double action.

On the top of the barrel is stamped:

Mervin & Hulbert & Co New York USA
Pat APR 7 ?? ????? MAR 14 82 Jan 9 ??

Inside the side plate is stamped the number 654.

With antique revolvers, I could only guess as to condition. Part of the Nickel plating has worn (rusted?) off, it only works in single action mode occasionly, although it will work in double action, and the tip of the firing pin is broken (rusted) off. It will not fire.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks, 1234567

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't mean to offend you, but after looking at the photo you supplied my suggestion is due to the condition of the revolver it would be a good canidate for your local Firearm Buyback Program as that would be the only way to get any real money out of the weapon.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I used to be into the M&H guns, they are very diffrent, and were nicely made, but the small M&H dont go for much, I sold my last one just like yours last sept, but in very good con. for 185.00, for what its worght! John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The Merwin Hulbert & Co. - "Small Frame, DA Pocket Model",
.32 cal., 5 shot, double action -

Lists in my 2002 Blue Book:

100% = 90% = 80% = 70% = 60% = 50% = 40% = 30% = 20% = 10%
$950 = 450 = 415 = 365 = 335 = 300 = 275 = 250 = 225 = 200

The Merwin Hulbert revolvers are/were considered to be of very high quality.

A friend has one of the large caliber MH Single Action revolvers which he acquired along with it's "provenence". A salesman for the MH company traveled through the Dakotas to various Calvary Forts or Posts, and sold this revolver to a soldier who was later killed in battle and this pistol was then captured by an Indian warrior. People didn't move all that much in the area where all this occured, and the name of the soldier, salesman, and date of the skirmish followed this revolver, as it changed through only a few hands throughout the many following years.

I found on-line a Merwin Hulbert & C0. 1st/1st Model .44 MH Army Revolver - nickel plating 99.9%, and factory Mother of Pearl Ivory Grips --- for, $11,250.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

The Merwin Hulbert & Co. - "Small Frame, DA Pocket Model",
.32 cal., 5 shot, double action -

Lists in my 2002 Blue Book:

100% = 90% = 80% = 70% = 60% = 50% = 40% = 30% = 20% = 10%
$950 = 450 == 415 = 365 == 335 == 300 = 275 == 250 = 225 == 200
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Merwin Hulbert revolvers are/were considered to be of very high quality.

A friend has one of the large caliber MH Single Action revolvers which he acquired along with it's "provenance":

A salesman for the MH company traveled through the Dakotas to various Calvary Forts or Posts, and sold this revolver to a soldier who was later killed in battle- and this pistol was then captured by an Indian warrior. People didn't move all that much in the area where all this occurred, and the name of the soldier, salesman, and date of the skirmish followed this revolver, as it changed through only a few hands throughout the many following years.

I found on-line a Merwin Hulbert & C0. 1st/1st Model .44 MH Army Revolver - nickel plating 99.9%, and factory Mother of Pearl Ivory Grips --- for, $11,250.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Current Blue book, but don't get your hopes up from this.
SMALL FRAME DA POCKET MODEL - .32 cal., 5 shot, double action.
Grading
100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60% 50% 40% 30% 20% 10%
$1,000 $775 $500 $450 $415 $365 $335 $300 $275 $250 $225 $200

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

1234567 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Going by the picture of this one, and considering it is over 100 years old, what percentage would anyone consider the condition?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
10% TOPS

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had a couple. IMO that gun, assuming it is about the same on the other side is a 50% finish gun. I wouldn't say it would bring $300 though. I'd guess the lowest estimation would about top it out. Merwins are all that has been said about them. Trouble is, the large frames seem to bring money all out of proportion to the small ones. This is probably the large frames are the ones most folks associate with the old west, whether that is accurate or not.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes Ethan, but it also has mechanical problems and I was not speaking of only finish in my estimate. That would be an NRA
FAIR: Some major parts replaced; minor replacement parts may be required; metal rusted, may be lightly pitted all over, vigorously cleaned or reblued; rounded edges on metal and wood; principal lettering, numerals, and design on metal partly obliterated; wood scratched, bruised, cracked, or repaired where broken; in fair working order or can be easily repaired and placed in working order.

OR

POOR: Major and minor parts replaced; major replacement parts required and extensive restoration needed; metal deeply pitted; principal lettering, numerals, and design obliterated; wood badly scratched, bruised, cracked, or broken; mechanically inoperative; generally undesirable as a collector's firearm.

Old cat turd!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't want to contradict you Terry. But finish is usually what a collector/antique dealer is speaking of when you talk in terms of percentage. I'm not enough of a gun mechanic to know how much trouble it is to replace those parts or repair them.

Take an 1877 Colt for instance, if you had one of those in say, 90% condition, it would probably easily bring a couple of thousand, even though it might not work. They are hard to repair even with relatively little wrong with them.

At any rate, I agreed with you as to its value.

I certainly wasn't trying to offend you-just offering my own opinion which the OP can take or leave as he sees fit. I've only owned the large-frame versions of these revolvers anyway.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The one I sold was for sale on here and on Gun broker, it was at 75% and worked great! but couldnt sell for $200.00 John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No offense taken or meant EE just differing ways of looking at stuff.

BTW, you got a Lightning/Thunderer that needs work? I have the parts, time, patience and hourly rate to fix them! smile Actually I have worked on many old Colts over the years and that revolver is the biggest PITA to get timed of any they have made.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No, I sold my last one several years ago when I dealt in antique firearms. They are certainly notorious for being hard to fix. I bought a broke one and carried it to an old gentleman down in Tulsa to fix. I'll probably look for him at the big gunshow down there next weekend to see if he's still with us. He was a Lightening guru but not too great on other things. I saw him take a Lightening with about three-quarters of its finish and just bear down on the polisher until it took all the lettering off. Needless to say it was the last time I taken anything down there-guru or no.

heheh

I kinda like having the original lettering, if you know what I mean...

I'll keep in mind that you can work on them in case I ever pick another one up. They are sure cute little guns. I had one with a fairly scarce six-inch bbl. one time. Wish I still did. Wish I'd bought one in real high condition about twenty years ago when you could get one for a thousand.

1234567 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It still has the original lettering. The mark right under the cylender is .32 Cal. It hasn't been buffed or re-finished.

I haven't dis-assembled it, but I did take the side plate off. No replacement part is needed, but the notch in the hammer needs to be stoned slightly, or else the sear needs stoning, or maybe both, for it to work single action.

The tip of the firing pin is broke (rusted?) off, just enough so that the firing pin would not reach the primer of the cartridge. It might could be built up 1/8 inch or so, if a person wanted to actually fire the revolver.

With it being over a 100 years old, I would be reluctant to fire it with modern ammunition. It might be older than 100 years, because one patent date that I can read is 1882, but I don't know if a patent date has any bearing on when it was made.

My intention for posting it and trying to sell it was for what ever antique value it might have, as opposed to a functional firearm, because antique that is what it is.

It could be re-plated, but going by what little I know about antique firearms, I thought collectors wanted them in original and un-restored condition.

I have placed it in the classified section, for $225.00.

I appreciate all the input, and especially the values given.

H
H
You might want to try and sell it to the SASS crowd, alot of them participate just for the dress up portion and to just have an old gun to carry and not necessarily shoot would pay 100 bucks for it. Also a gunsmith student might like to take on a project like that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.