Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Warren Page and Bob Hagel proved many times over the lethality of 7mm mags, especially the 7MM Mashburn Super Magnum (one for you Dober). They killed tons of game all over the world.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There aint no magic cartridge. If you are concerned that the cartridge could be your limiting factor, that demonstrates that you are not competent to shoot at that range.
Anyone competent to shoot at extreme ranges knows what the limiting factors are.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Sam now you're talking our language about the 7 Mashburn Super! Mines on the bench right now and needs a new barrel b4 it gets back into the game... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What bullet do they run in their 7's?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It'll kill 'em at a range longer than a "sportsman" should be shooting them.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last year two were using 160 Partitions and one was using 160 TSX in the Federal Premium line. None of them reload.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bear-are the fellas hunting on their own or outfitted? Also have you gone with them?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They always hunt on their own. Never been on an outfitted hunt in their lives. I have been hunting with them for 9 years now. I have learned plenty from these master elk hunters. One guy is 72 and I cannot keep up with him. He walks about 5 miles every day in the mountains to keep in shape. When elk hunting he might cover 10 miles or more in a day! Since they are locals, they have a good idea when and where the elk will be. For me, it's like going on a guided hunt for free. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was at the range last weekend with a couple new .30-06s, a Savage 111 and a Remington M700. A few rounds to sight in at 100 and then it was off to plink the 500-yard steel. Far more hits than misses and from what I could see, with the exception of 1 round that was using a heavier bullet, all the misses were still in the kill zone.

At that range I'd rather use my 7mm RM but either will suffice. I agree with Dobr - the shooters generally fall short sooner than the cartridges do.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/09/08.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
350 yards is plenty far if you have to ask.

Can you really shoot that far, in the field?

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What bullet did they use, I don't know about Hagel but Warren page liked the 175 grain Nosler which back then was a semi spitzer design.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick-Bob (Hagel) used both the 175 in a semi and the 160 in the spitzer. I sort of got the opinion from him that for longer ranges he preferred the 160's.

I've shot a fair amount of game with both the 160 NPT and the 175 Semi NPT and they both work wonderfully! One of the most dramatic kills I ever saw was on a nice whitey I took with the 175 semi, wish I'd of had it on tape!

Dober

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
It'll take flies off the cement wall at the Clampett Mansion.

How much further would you need than that?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ooooh doggy, and Granny's rhumatism medicine will peal the paint off the ce-ment walls too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A guy I talked to who used to guide in Hells Canyon, where DRT kills "would be nice" to say the least, said that the 175 Partition from a 7-mag was their least favorite bullet for a client to be shooting at elk. They'd give that client to one of the new, young guides. Rodeo's (long tracking job, difficult retrievals) often ensued according to this gentleman.

Dunno.

-jeff

Last edited by Jeff_O; 04/20/08.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff- I be the guide liked the 300's and perhaps the 06.

I've done a fair bit of guiding and this much I've learned. A lot of guides while being very game and country savvy are about clueless when it comes to rounds/ballistics/bullets etc.

Whenever I meet and or hear a guide say these kinds of things I quickly size them up for what they are....and it normally aint good!

The big 7's with a 175 NPT is one of the best pure plain killing machines ever made, periodo!

I'll only add that the idea of giving the guys with said combo to the new guides is an interesting move as well. Most of the new guides/young guides just don't have the savvy about people to be truly good guides. They don't put their client in a postition to win. A guides duties is to find the game and to be able to judge a clients ability (in many ways from physical to mental) and get them within sure fire 1 shot kill range of the game.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 04/20/08.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
A guy I talked to who used to guide in Hells Canyon, where DRT kills "would be nice" to say the least, said that the 175 Partition from a 7-mag was their least favorite bullet for a client to be shooting at elk. They'd give that client to one of the new, young guides. Rodeo's (long tracking job, difficult retrievals) often ensued according to this gentleman.

Dunno.

-jeff

Surely you must admit that your attempt to steer folks away from the 175 Partition is based on zero experience with it yourself, and the "rodeos" could be explained by poor shot placement just as easily. confused

Get back to us when you "doono"....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That guide was full of [bleep]! Most guides don't know squat about ballistics. Probably had a couple of poor shot clients with 7mm mags, now all 7mm mags suck

The 175's in any 7mm mag will kill anything that walks, or crawls. Warren Page proved that, and so did Bob Hagel.

Les Bowman, one of the best elk guides of all time, prefered the 7mm mag to all others.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't be too surprised if the guide in this instance isn't ol' dogzapper himself... IIRC he's made similar statements in the past. Besides, JO's been talking about the Hell's Canyon thing, conversations with DZ, and hunting with just two rifles for some time now...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't say this to be rude, just a point of fact. As others have said, if you have to ask than you probably should not be shooting much over 200-250 yards. Keep in mind "Most" hunters will run out of skill long before that 7mm Mag will.

I say this as a seasoned hunter with limited time to shoot a lot myself. For me 300 is a long poke, but do-able, even then I would just as soon get closer!

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.