-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In fact, the entrance holes were so small that sometimes we had a hard time finding them. But the insides would be a mess, by far the most damage I've ever seen with an expanding bullet. This is the reason goats were killed so quickly. Broadside lung shots usualy dropped goats right there, or they went at most 10 yards.

Would it be correct to say that you were essentially on a cull hunt then?

Blowing up the front half of a deer/goat/sheep, isn't a quality most guys look for in a bullet. Aside from that, in the locale I hunt, bears are a very real possibility as well, and I'll take controlled expansion over explosion any day.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would have to agree with RO on this and it is why I always use a premium bullet when hunting anything here in B.C. I simply feel more capable with a .338WM-250NP when crawling through the "Devil's Club" in the Monashee where RO hangs out than I would with a softer bullet and smaller bore...."horses for courses".

G
OP Offline
G
Well fellas, i've got some 130's loaded in the 6.5 wsm and the ol man has some 180's in his 300 wm. We'll give full report on the black bear hunt and how they worked!! I'll be packing some 130 barnes tsx along also!

My girl yes, my dog maybe, my guns.....NEVER!!!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I really wanna pack this sweet .458WM FN Browning that I just scored, but, I can't fine good bullets for it here in Canada. I would like 450 SAFs, just in case someone has a box or three lying around.

I might have to fly Vancouver to Rupert at the end of the month and drive a truck back here to the coast, so, I kinda want to look for a huge Blackie on the way home. Being a geezer, I don't want to mess around with no "puzzy" cartridges, eh!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
RO, where did he say that it blew up the front half of the animal? Even in the quote you highlighted, there is no mention of it blowing up the front half of the animal. I think he also says that the bullet worked well for him in game up to 400 lbs. He has made no mention of game larger than that(doesnt advocate Berger VLD's for grizzly!). He also mentions exits on most of the shots as well.

His experience means more to me than your speculation.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find it strange that several posters keep harping that the use of this bullet is a poor choice after the facts have been presented. It does have its limits. I trust John B's report and judgement.

That said I chose the 115 VLD shot from my 257 Roy for coues wt beginning this past season. One poster mentioned something about learn how to hunt and get closer. He has not hunted trophy coues. This year's buck was shot at 525 yds. The impact velocity was approx 2750. The bullet entered just behind the onside shoulder and EXITED through the offside shoulder knuckle. The buck staggered around for a few seconds and dropped. Couldn't ask for more than that.

I will continue to use this high BC bullet (.523 ) for coues and will use it for antelope (if I ever get drawn) without hesitation. As for heavier game I will use a premium bullet like the TSX or the new E-tip.

There are plenty of options for handloaders no need to doubt or complain that such and such bullet is a poor choice. If you don't like the VLD for hunting don't use it. If you haven't used it don't bad mouth it with your armchair comments.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
RiverOtter,

Yes, for the most part we were on a cull.

Nope, didn't blow up the front half of anything. As pointed out, the bullets don't start to expand until they get 1.5 to 2 inches inside; only then do they come apart. If you shoot the animal in the ribs, or even in the shoulder, there is simply a needle-like entrance hole. The big damage is done INSIDE the animal's heart-lung cavity.

The only damage done to any meat was when the bullets exited, but even then the primary expansion was inside the animal. This would basically be the pattern on any animal from pronghorn-size up.

One example of the "meat damage" on a larger animal was the red stag I shot. He was bedded across a canyon at 250 yards (lasered), and I put a 185 VLD from a .30-06 into his heart. He extended one front leg, leaned his head back--and then roled down the hill. There was the typical needle-like entrance hole just behind the shoulder. Then there was the heart, essentially turned into a long flap of muscle by being turned inside-out. None of the jacket or core exited the ribs on the far side, though some pieces were found lying against it. So the only meat damage as from the entrance hole.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kute,

I never said anywhere in the article (and will never say anywhere) that the VLD is a general purpose elk/moose/bear bullet--even though apparently many elk have been taken with them, and quite neatly.

They are simply not an all-around bullet. But they are a superb hunting bullet for certain purposes, the reason that my wife and I used them last fall for some pronghorn and deer hunting. Of course: "horses for courses."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Whoa, there Ky and AZ, if you read RO's post CAREFULLY, he does NOT state that JB's posts are invalid, he simply, posted an ASIDE, that HE prefers ...controlled expansion... and WHY, in HIS area.

Now, no doubt both of you have far more B.C. hunting experience than RO does, I do or even both of us together, but, could it be remotely possible that he MIGHT be capable of forming an opinion for HIS use based on his experiences where he lives/hunts?

The fact is, that a controlled expansion bullet IS preferable in B.C. hunting and I suspect that, if you read JB's story of his B.C. hunt, you will find that such is what HE chose, as well.

To post that another is an ...armchair... hunter here is rather detrimental to the flow of honest opinion and information, IMO; it does not benefit any among us.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Of course, John, see my above, as we typed at the same time. I think that you are well aware of my respect for your opinion on these issues and guns in general.

I grew up in the region that RO lives in and tend to a very conservative approach to this issue as we don't get nearly as many shots at game in a given season as many who have not hunted B.C. seem to think we do.

Anythewho, it's all good chatter for a grey, rainy Sunday morning, when a cold prevents me from humping a training pack up the North Shore mountains!

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I see that we cross-posted.

I tend to choose the same kind of rifles/loads for the grizzly areas of Montana that you do up there. And in general those areas (at least the wilderness areas) have the same relatively low game density as any mountain country. You would be struck in many ways by the similarities between the northern Bob Marshall and northern B.C. The big differences are no caribou here, and instead of thinhorn sheep we have bighorns.

When I hunted northern B.C. for moose and elk in 2002 I took a .300 Winchester with 200-grain Partitions and a 9,3x62 with 286 Partitions. There were quite a few grizzlies around, despite the B.C. game department closing the season in that area for lack of bears. I saw six different bears and signs of a couple others. Luckily, did not have any real hassles--though m guide did grab the .300 to fire a "warning shot" at one bear that was following us around.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
All I can add is from my experience (on one animal) and from those who have used them on this post I will again use them this coming season. Besides in my .264 WM they are more accurate than other bullets I have used.

When testing for accuracy I was working on a 2" 300 yard group until I pulled the second shot. Grinning!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
SawDoctor,

I often get asked to test new stuff, and generally accept if possible, because there is always something to learn. When Berger asked me to test the VLD's I was skeptical, but I am also a journalist who long ago decided to try as much of possible for myself before coming to conclusions. I have done this with a lot of things that many people have firm opinions about (whether they have tried them or not) including fenced hunting and iron sights at over 150 yards. I have always learned something from these experiences, often something not included in "common wisdom."

One of the reasons I do this is that early in my career I often tried stuff on the word of other gun writers, who wrote more on theory than fact. An example was the first version of the Speer Grand Slam. This was written up by many gun writers as the latest premiumn bullet in the mid-1970's, and so I tried some for elk hunting, partly because they cost a little less than Nosler Partitions. I found out the hard way that the original Grand Slam was a perfect example of a "premium" hunting bullet designed without any field testing, as it came apart pretty easily. (GS's did get pretty good after a while.)

So since then I have made it my policy to test any new bullet myself, first in various test media and then on game. In the process I have found that not all of the great new bullets of our golden age aren't quite what they are claimed to be.

I have also found that today's common wisdom that a bullet has to retain over 90% of its weight and penetrate elk endwise, or it won't kill well, is also BS. Among other things I have found that 90% weight retention does not guarantee adequate penetration, and that an exit hole does not guarantee an animal will drop quickly.

Conversely, I have also found that some bullets not designed for particular tasks work great there. Such was the case with the Bergers. For whatever reason they work, and I know they do because I tried them, not once but a bunch. They do come apart, but only after penetrating--and coming apart is not the evil believed by common wisdom these days. It makes a much bigger hole in the animal, and the size of the hole is what kills, not 90% weighr retention or an exit.

So what I've found is that a lot of bullet design theory is just that, whether we are talking bullets designed for hunting that don't work so well for that purpose, or bullets designed for target shooting that DO work very well for some hunting. If we insist on depending on labels applied to anything, we will always be in for some surprises.

I apologize for making a comment where you felt you had to defends yourself.Thank you for being kind in your reply wich solidified your position as my favorite gunwriter by the way.
I still don't think he should be pointing them at a black bear.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Indeed,I have never been on a coues deer hunt, and no i have never shot a deer at or approaching those distances and never will,i hunt, not shoot, and average more than 1 deer a week not a year, so i do know a little about bullet performance and placement.Also the use of target bullets is prohibited here,only "bullets designed to expand on impact" are allowed.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave,

We had a revolution over here so that King George's rules would not apply.

Thus we build running deer shoots and practice it here. Etc.

[Linked Image]

If you have good eyesight then you can read the fine print on the sign. grin

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
kutenay,

I was simply posting on the inaccuracies in RO's post to which I alluded. I firmly agree that everyone has his/her right to their own opinion on this site.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm pretty sure John knew what I meant by "blow up". Blood shot and wasted meat, which he answered in his post just above here.

I have already admitted to not using the Bergers and likely will never use one on a big game(That includes deer where I live) animal of any sort, mostly because hunting in B.C., you never know what your going to run into. A morning deer, elk or moose hunt can instantly turn into a BB, cougar or grizzly hunt and at ranges in single digits.

RO

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
RO, I envy that about where you live. I have whitetail deer, wild turkeys, rabbits, squirrels, grouse, quail, coyotes and an occasional duck/goose in the winter time. That isnt really in the same league as the game you have available to you. Now all I have to do is to talk the wife into moving to where the game is-no luck yet.

Good hunting.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Can only read the "will be shot".I`ve a bladder infection at the mo so it cannot be to funny or i might wee myself!!

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bend

Mr. Berger and I talked in-depth about the blowups on the phone. He asked me to send him the box of bullets and the details. He also stated that he would replace the bullets. I sent the bullets (about 50) and have yet to hear back from him. Its been about 2-3 years now. I no longer use his products.

That's terrible customer relations!

There was an article in a magazine several months ago and they did a test with the ballistic tube. I took some pics of it a while back and still have them in my photo bucket for those interested:

Left is channel of Nosler Partition, two right ones, Berger VLD. You can see the path of the Partion as it kept going:

[Linked Image]

Another Berger channel:

[Linked Image]

And a recovered bullet from the tube 40% of it's original weight:

[Linked Image]

Me personally I wouldn't use them, that's just my opinion. They were not designed as a hunting bullet and that alone says to me, that they may work, but it also increases the instances they may not.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.