-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a question regarding the choke on an old Browning A5 barrel? I am seeing what appears to be inspector markings, but nothing that indicates the choke ie. mod, improved, full etc. Any ideas to determine the barrel choke? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check this link:

http://www.browningcollector.com/FAQ.html

Choke Guide:

On Browning shotguns, the choke markings are usually found on the inside left of the barrel.

Heres how to interpret the markings:

*    designates full choke (F).
*-    designates improved modified choke (IM).
**    designates modified choke (M).
**-    designates improved cylinder choke (IC).
**$    designates skeet (SK).
***    designates cylinder bore (CYL).

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin
Check this link:

http://www.browningcollector.com/FAQ.html

Choke Guide:

On Browning shotguns, the choke markings are usually found on the inside left of the barrel.

Heres how to interpret the markings:

*    designates full choke (F).
*-    designates improved modified choke (IM).
**    designates modified choke (M).
**-    designates improved cylinder choke (IC).
**$    designates skeet (SK).
***    designates cylinder bore (CYL).

rb

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thank you, very much Sir. The markings indicate that it's a skeet brl **$ .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is my pleasure. grin
Is that a vent rib?

I love A-5s.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin
It is my pleasure. grin
Is that a vent rib?

I love A-5s.

rb

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
No, it's a smooth brl 2.75 16Ga. It was just recently given to me by an elderly lady that i had done some work for. It had belonged to her deceased husband. It's in great shape, just needs a cleaning and lube job.

There's a Mod or IM brl, in the lady's house, besides the skeet brl that's on the gun, that i need to look for. I see where i can get new springs and gas collars etc. from Midwest Gunworks.

If i'm correct the newer Browning A5, 2.75 16Ga. brls with the choke system, with fit the older A5's. The SN# is 1083XX, it's a Belgian according to Browning SN# info.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You don't need those silly 16 gauges. Let me know what she wants and I'll dispose of them for you. wink

rb

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Hunter1960
No, it's a smooth brl 2.75 16Ga. It was just recently given to me by an elderly lady that i had done some work for. It had belonged to her deceased husband. It's in great shape, just needs a cleaning and lube job.

There's a Mod or IM brl, in the lady's house, besides the skeet brl that's on the gun, that i need to look for. I see where i can get new springs and gas collars etc. from Midwest Gunworks.

If i'm correct the newer Browning A5, 2.75 16Ga. brls with the choke system, with fit the older A5's. The SN# is 1083XX, it's a Belgian according to Browning SN# info.

Sounds like a great shotgun. I love older Browning A5s myself.

I have three now, a Sweet Sixteen, an older 20 ga, and a beautiful 3 inch 12 Ga Mag.

Sam......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.