Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
ok, I've loaded lots and lots of centerfire, for hunting, plinking, and cross-the-course ammo. I like to think I have a pretty good handle on when things are getting up there pressure wise.

So now I'm going to reload for a 1894 30-30. I know it doesn;t (at least in factory form) generate enough pressure to make the brass flow, as primers stick out a little.

So other than relying on the reloading manuals, can someone give me some indications on when I'm getting too hot for a 1894?

I'm tempted to just load by chronograph, matching the velocities of a chronographed factory load.

Thanks in advance

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The chronograph and listed velocities in the Loading manuals is how I determine my loads. The M94 is not the most robust action and .30-30 brass is kinda on the thin side.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+1

when you get to the velocity a 30/30 is supposed to get with a recipe in a reputable loading manual, stop adding more gunpowder. If you need speed, get a different gun. A chronograph is a must in my opinion. Good luck!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its pretty simple. Do not exceed either the charge or the velocity of published loads. Even though most are likely to occur when one is way over pressure in a 30-30, I'd still look for other classic signs of excessive pressure, such as flattened primers, extraction marks on cases, sticky extraction, etc.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I would start 5-10% below reloading manual max. load suggestions
AND "neck size only". The only case head separation I ever had
was with a twice reloaded case in a 1961 M94 that was in 98%
condition. I also was 1/2 Gr. below max. (This was full length
resized.) It was using IMR 3031 or 4895.

"Lever actions, contenders, pointing dogs and
doo-wop music."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have read where some people load untill the lever "springs open" Then back off. Not ME! That's way to hot for me.
Virgil B.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
thanks guys, I will chrono some factory 170's , then work up to that velocity.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by free_miner
Without at least using published load data as a guide this approach is fraught with danger. What powder were you going to use?

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by jackfish
Without at least using published load data as a guide this approach is fraught with danger. What powder were you going to use?

yes, I will use published load data and start 10% off their maximums. I have 4895 and RE15

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RE15 is a great powder for the 30-30. Should get very good loads with it. I try and keep loads for my lever guns about 5% below manuals maximum's. Since it is a Winny, get the Lee crimp die, that way your crimps will all be consistent. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"...look for other classic signs of excessive pressure, such as flattened primers, extraction marks on cases, sticky extraction, etc."

Jack, those criteria do serve well in bolt rifles reaching pressures of perhaps as much as 60K+ psi; that'sfar to much to be safe with lever rifles. A lever rifle could come from together, violently, without ever showing a single one of the conventional pressure signs. I would stick to book values.

Duplicating factory velocities with a chronograph would be fine IF we used the same powder the factory used. IF our powder is even a tad faster than the factory choice, we could easily exceed standard pressures and get no more velocity than the facory load. Again, stick to the book values.

Last edited by boomtube; 05/01/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Boomtube , I think Jackfish covered that in the begining of the post you quoted wink

Originally Posted by jackfish
Its pretty simple. Do not exceed either the charge or the velocity of published loads. Even though most are likely to occur when one is way over pressure in a 30-30, I'd still look for other classic signs of excessive pressure, such as flattened primers, extraction marks on cases, sticky extraction, etc.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boomtube
A lever rifle could come from together, violently, without ever showing a single one of the conventional pressure signs.
Even when following book loads, I sure wouldn't ignore it if one of those became apparent. Sticky extraction can occur in lever action rifles when they approach, reach or exceed safe operating pressure.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
You can mic your case heads, you do not want ANY case head expansion after the first time the case is fired, the first time is a fireforming shot, after that NO case expansion. Primers should not back out, if they do you have a little headspace, but probaby not enough to be dangerous, depends on how far out they are. This is A typical of older 94s....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was gonna say if the lever starts springing your too hot but was beat to it. With a 30-30 ANY of the normal pressure signs are indicators your getting to the upper edge of safe margins.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by free_miner

Loading the .30-30 is really very easy. Work up to maximum loads in the manual of your choice with the bullet of your choice and be done with it.

My favorites with 170 gr Hornady FPs are 32.5 gr Varget for about 2,100 fps, and the same bullet with 33 gr RL15 for about 2,160 fps. Factory Remington 170s go about 2,170 fps. You may not quite get there with handloads, but who cares. A few fps won't affect the .30-30s performance one bit.

Hot rodding the .30-30 doesn't make much sense. That "springing lever" thing is pretty crazy.

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Chinook
[quote=free_miner] That "springing lever" thing is pretty crazy.

I have experienced �lever-kick� in the Winchester Model 94 Big Bore rifles � all three calibers � using both factory and handloads using published load data. When experiencing lever-kick the lever will �sting� the hand, the action does not un-lock and there are no visual indications of high pressure. The cartridge cases extract and eject normally under all circumstances. The Marlin 336 action will display these same phenomena under certain circumstances.
Is this the phenomena you describe as �springing lever�?
If you were to experience lever-kick with an Improved cartridge such as the .30-30AI I believe you are loading way over where a prudent person should be in a lever-action rifle. I don�t see how a .30-30 cartridge could be loaded to exhibit lever-kick. I believe the cartridge case would stick tight and lock the action up prior to exhibiting lever-kick.
I don�t visit all the boards but I have not seen any threads describing deliberately loading to �spring� a lever-action on any of the boards I do visit.

Slim
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Slim-- I've never personally experienced "lever kick" or "springing lever" with any of the .30-30s (Marlin, Winchester) I've owned or shot over the years. I've been loading for one Marlin 336 for about 30 years now. No lever kick with either handloads or factory ammo.

However, I have heard stories. From the descriptions it seems that the bolt actually opens forcing the lever to open in turn. I agree with you that the idea of loading your .30-30, which performs perfectly at moderate pressures, until the lever pops open is not just asking for trouble-- you've already got it. In the stories I've heard, mostly it seems to happen when trying to wring the last foot-per-second from handloads.

Since they are just stories I've heard, there's no telling what really happens.

Good shooting!

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am trying to visualize firing a shot and having the lever come open in my hand. That would be an eye-opener. The Model 94 Big Bore rifle chambered for .356 Winchester and all of the Model 99 Savages I have used are quick to open at the shot. These rifles operate almost as quickly as a slide action rifle in my hands. It is strange the .307 Winchester (my personal favorite), the .375 Winchester and the .444 Marlin Timber rifle do not handle as quickly for me when shooting off hand. If you run across another thread of this type post a link here. I would enjoy reading about this. The standard .30-30 has enough taper I don�t believe a handloader could experience lever-kick from a sound rifle without sticking a cartridge tight in the chamber � but I haven�t seen everything, not yet anyway!
The locking bolt on a model 94 is not 90 degrees to the sliding bolt but angled slightly and this is where the light kick comes from in the Big Bore rifles with their higher operating pressures. The original Model 1886 has locking bolts which are straight sided and the Model 71 has its locking bolts slightly angled to smooth the operation of the lever. Many riflemen considered this �improvement� a step backwards.

Slim
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can tell you that if you over load a Savage 99, you will experience Lever Kick, and 94's will do it too, at least the older ones will. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.