-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E, I found in my evaluations that the Leupold Green Ring Katmai 8x32mm were slightly better than the Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 8x32mm. However, I also found that the Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 6x32mm were better than the Leupold Green Ring Katmai 6x32mm.

Another surprising implementation of an 8x32mm is the Celestron Noble 8x32mm for $260. Pretty much right there with the Katmais. At first I thought the Celestron Noble 8x32mm were the same thing as the Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 8x32mm. But that was not borne out by observation which showed the Noble to be better.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Well, I went down to the Swaro/Zeiss store and they were closed... again! Not only are they closed, but they have a sign on the door saying that they are quote, "only open by appointment"?! But, in small letters it did say that they would be back open to the public on the 23rd of this month. I guess I get to wait a little longer to look through some Euro glass.. crazy

I did see where Bird Watcher's Digest highly praised the Leupold Katmai 6x32. That (and the 8x32 version) would be on my list of binoculars to look through. The search continues.....

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Once again, I would like to thank everyone for all the advice that you have given. I really do appreciate it. smile

Well, I had some last minute expenses pop up recently, which put a nice big fat dent in my binocular budget. And after reading numerous different thread/reviews of binoculars in my new price range of under $200, I ended up going with these Bushnell Discoverer 7x42's...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=427466&pn=1

I think they will work for now while I get the funds built up for some really nice glass down the road.. wink

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hey, the Bushnel Discoverer 7x42 is a very nice bin! Good grab!!! I had a pair for about 20 years (called Baush & Lomb) and they did a great job for me. Enjoy them and don't look back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a pair of the Discoverer's in 10x42 and for the money they were tough to beat. For the price Sportsmansguide is selling them for now it's a no brainer. They were surprisingly clear and bright.

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
From what I've read about these, they are made in Japan by Fujinon. Heck, the Fujinon CD 8x42 look virtually identical to these Bushies.

http://www.buytelescopes.com/products/large_images/CD-details.JPG

I used this code for Sportman's Guide (SG284), and saved an additional $10 off my order. For $168.45 shipped to my door, I don't see how I could go wrong.. smile

Last edited by Schuey2002; 04/19/08.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
'Nuther quickie:

Have any of you tried the new Leupold Acadia binoculars? If so, what do you think of them? smile

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yup, nice for the money. The Leupold Mojave is better but more coin of course.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Mojave's do seem nice. Haven't seen the Acadia. One thing that is not for me is a non phase coated roof prism binocular. Been there, done that, won't go back and do it again. Acadias are advertised as only fully multicoated with no mention of phase correction that I have seen.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought that they were made by the same OEM that makes the Elite scopes, bino's and spotters. Light Optical Works, jp. Either way doesn't matter, cause you got one heck of a good bino especially for the money.

http://www.city.suwa.nagano.jp/kigyou/suwashi/lightkoki/lightkoki2.htm

Roy

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by SteveC99
The Mojave's do seem nice. Haven't seen the Acadia. One thing that is not for me is a non phase coated roof prism binocular. Been there, done that, won't go back and do it again. Acadias are advertised as only fully multicoated with no mention of phase correction that I have seen.

In the 2008 Brochure that I just got from Leupold, it says on the page for the Acadias:

Phase Coated Prisms
The Acadia's phase coated prisms significantly increase resolution, for a sharp sight picture from edge to edge of the visual field.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Huh! Doesn't say anything about phase correction on the Leupold website. If they are they should be a decent glass. Much wider field than a lot of 8x42's. I'll have to keep an eye out for some. It did seem strange that in this day and age that anybody would introduce a non phase coated glass.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Today, you get a lot more bang for the buck and the distance between low end and high end is shrinking. That is why the Leupold Mojave has it over the more expensive (but earlier released) Pinnicles optically, for example. Newer bins are lighter, have better glass/coatings and the trend now is for only two hinges (Swaro EL style) instead of piano-style hinges...hence the Acadia and Mojave, among others. Remember though that just because they say leupold on them, doesn't mean that they are American made. They are imports and you know the likely place of manufacturer.

Having said all that, if you can get a set of Discoverers like you stated earlier at close out pricing, IMO, that is probably your best move. They are excellent bins for the coin....the 7x42's are solid, have decent glass, big FOV, are clear, bright and dependable. I used them for years and never experienced any eye fatigue.

Anyway, good luck and good hunting.

Last edited by EagleEye54; 04/21/08. Reason: spelling
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
^L^

The Discoverers are on their way from Sportsman's Guide.

(I just thought that I would ask if anyone knew anything about the Acadia's what with them being new and all. And having not read a lick about them anywhere online.. wink )

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

264 members (19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 35 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,364
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.