Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I know it proves that I'm a card carrying gun looney, but I'm just fascinated by this thing. Besides, after 2009, we Kalifornians may not be able to buy semi automatic pistols any longer. Not unless the gun makers can find a way to stamp each ejected case with a tiny, microscopic serial number for that gun...... The technology does not exist. The major gun makers all say they won't even try to do it.
Anyway, I'm really fascinated with this thing. 33 gr. bullets clock over 2000 fps out of it's 4.7 inch barrel. They look like hollow points. They do, indeed, have a pretty deep cavity, but are not designed to expand (?). Will be interesting to see how they do penetrating 2.5 gallon jugs of water laid end to end. What do you want to bet they'd shoot through a black bear skull ?
I've got some ammo loaded with 40 gr. Hdy V-Maxes coming too.
Very light pistol, some 21 ozs. Excellent, fully adjustable sights. Good trigger break, once you get past the initial take up. Phosphate coated internal parts to reduce wear and corrosion. Stainless barrel and polymer frame. No frame rails.
Reported by Gun Tests to be very accurate. Five shot groups down to 1.2 inches at 25 yds. Non Kalifornia magazines hold 20 rds. Ten for us in the People Republic of Ka.
In far away places, the .22 magnum rimfire, out of a rifle, has a rep for doing in all sorts of out of class critters by good shots. This pistol has the same potential. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 04/17/08.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E,

I've been thinking about getting the same pistol,I figure that a 20 round pistol with a high velocity round that will pierce a lot of kevlar with certain loads is too good to escape the next round of bans that the democrats will surely pass when they get the chance.

It does pretty much give us a pistol with 22 mag rifle performance. I know that the 22 mag from a rifle will kill a black bear with head shots,I know a fellow who dropped a big blacky like a rock at one of his bee hives years ago in Alabama,caused a bit of a stink because it wasn't legal,but it was effective.

Britt

Last edited by ruraldoc; 04/17/08.
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Yeah, I've read lots of stories about the .22 Mag stepping out of it's design limits and getting the job done.
I once met a guy that used to throphy hunt Blactails with another on a private ranch. They used one scope sighted .22 RFM rifle and never lost anything. Know another who has used his to kill all sorts of large, called predators. Still others who have used it on treed lions. The list is long and distingushed.
BTW, out here at least, the bad guys and somtimes even kids going to school in bad areas, wear body amour. Bad guys also make a habit of getting high on stimulate drugs before they go forth to do bad things, like shooting up a neighborhood. You need to hit such BD's in the nervous system. Even a 12 g. loaded with buck won't stop them at times. An accurate pistol can be much better than a much more powerful one that you can't shoot so well. I no longer live near such stuff, but it does happen here when the gangs decide to visit from the nearby big cities. At least my county is one of the very few gun friendly counties in Ka. not ruled by the liberal feather heads.
I'm planning to use mine on those very long hikes and back packs into some of our very remote wildernesses where every ounce counts. E

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They are amazingly accurate, the round and pistol combo.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
For me, the gun itself looks too much like a toy. It also doesnt serve me any real purpose. I have my XD-40 for personal defense, why do I need one of these? However, they sure do FLY off the shelf at the Sportsmans Warehouse I work at!

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Oh, trust me. I've got lots of handguns. All of the needs are covered. All of them. In depth.
This is just a new toy with lots of new things that does what no other pistol does and does it in a way no other pistol does.
They might look like a toy gun, but they don't feel that way.
When I do a little shooting with it, I will, of course, know more. I'm planning the usual range and target sessions, along with a shooting at a few 2.5 gallon water jugs end to end. We'll see just how much the little bullet penetrates. We'll discover how much it disrupts things. Both loads. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E,

What is the going rate for a box of 5.7 ammo?

JS

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Just bought 200 rds. more for mine from Midway. $18.99 per 50.
Either the 28.5 gr. "lead free" or the 40 gr. Hdy V-Max. E

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
$200 for 10 boxes of ss195 including shipping.

Amazed at the accuracy of these 'plastic like' pistols! I really like mine, have not put a lot of rounds down the pipe, yet.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Eremicus:

I have about 1000 rounds through my FiveseveN. Took it to my local dealers Spring Full-Auto shoot. (He allows us poorer customers to shoot semi-autos.)

Everytime I shoot it I am amazed by its accuracy. I am an older shooter and have the fun of finding the middle focal of my trifocals. The sights on the 57 must be optimal for me.

Out of the box and off sand bags I had to make minor adjustments to zero at 25 yards. Basically no difference at 50 yards which is as far as I've shot it.

I bought 3 additional magazines and installed the 10 round extension on them. Makes a fine light-weight 30-shooter. Too bad Kalifornia outlawed hi-caps. Some areas of Ka are where they'd be most needed. wink

I shoot the 40 grain blue tip ammo. The boxes are locked up in the safe and I don't recall the SS #.

I had some 28 grain jhp but felt better with the 40 grain stuff.

One highly respected contributor to the Campfire said if he could only own one gun. The 57 would be it.

Good shooting.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks, Norm. Nice to know I'm not alone.
The lighter bullet stuff might out penetrate the heavier V-Max load simply becasue it isn't suppose to expand. But I do wonder about it's stability.
I've got a 24 oz., 3 inch .357 that I load with 158 SWC swagged bullets that I'm going to shoot it against. I'll get a good idea, I think, of it's potential to wound when I shoot those 2.5 gallon jugs of water. Both rds. are loaded to about the same energy level. The .357 loads clocking about 950 fps. plus.
Does look like a fun pistol.
How does the safety strike you ? Safe enought to carry with the chamber loaded ? E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E -

As a defensive cartridge, I'm dubious at best. As a sporting cartridge for a handgun, it most certainly is interesting. I absolutely love long range shooting and small game hunting (ok, any kinda hunting), and this "tacti-cool" pistol really seems interesting as a small game getter.

I've shot it and the P90 and they're extremely fun. The P90 in full auto is so easy to control you can just about write your name with it.

I think you're going to have a whole lot of fun with your new FN, just don't use it as a defensive arm.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
E:

I am satisfied with the safety. I also like moving it to the "fire" position with my trigger finger.

Currently I am not carrying my 57 but I believe I'd want it in a Fobus.

I do intend to get the Fobus paddle model for th 57 for field carry.

Yup, I'd carry it with a loaded chamber, safety on. However, in the Fobus I'd feel comfortable with the safety off. Just so you were careful putting the gun in the holster.

Just shooting one gal milk jugs filled with water. The 135 Gold Dot .357 from my MP340 makes a bigger splash than the .57.

Hope this helps.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
E,

I believe the 57 from the pistol is every bit as potent as the .22 WRM from a rifle. I have no data to support this but it is my gut feeling.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I was excited to see one of these but when I laid eyes on my first one tonight at Cabela's, I was shocked by the grip size!! Doesn't look like a good fit for my tastes.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deputy_Norm
E,

I believe the 57 from the pistol is every bit as potent as the .22 WRM from a rifle. I have no data to support this but it is my gut feeling.

On paper, they're almost identical. The only wildcard is the bullet. I'm thinking the design parameters for the 5-7 are a bit different from the .22 mag.

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Well, guys, let me tell you a few stories about the .22 RFM.
I've shot a few jack rabbits with the 40 gr. HP outta my 5.5 inch Ruger. Anchors them right there. Nice, nasty looking wound channels. Much better than the .22 RF HP.
I know of two cops that aren't with us any more because of that round from a small 3.5 inch HS derringer. One rd. each at 3 ft. Cop One, dead from a heart shot, went right down. Cop Two took one in the stomach and got off 5 rds. All misses. Dead when the responding cops found him.
I finished off a large German sheppard once with the same pistol. Bullet went right through the head from the side.
No, they ain't a .45 or a 10mm. My first choice. But effective ? Yes, if the bullets perform well. I'll see.
Appreciate your comments on the safety Norm. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 04/22/08.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.