-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We got snow forecast here for early next week, I could do with some 70 degree weather(sans wind!) oh boy, could I ever!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Oregon's draw is less than desirable............

I put in for six years before I drew a resident Rocky Mountain bull tag........Just so happens the Ochoco National Forest decided to start a controlled burn on the opening day of a 3 day season and pushed the elk I'd scouted down onto an outfitter's property. Handy to say the least.

I've drawn every year for deer, minus one, which is about 5 total.

Over here, bowhunting is your best bet. Rut hunting on bulls and hit the blacktails for a month with a rifle.

I'm thinking hard about hitting the cascade buck this year to cut down on my travel time to the valley.

One of these days I'm heading to either SE Alaska or MT....I've had enough of Oregon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by triggerguard1
Oregon's draw is less than desirable............

I put in for six years before I drew a resident Rocky Mountain bull tag........Just so happens the Ochoco National Forest decided to start a controlled burn on the opening day of a 3 day season and pushed the elk I'd scouted down onto an outfitter's property. Handy to say the least.

Over here, bowhunting is your best bet. Rut hunting on bulls and hit the blacktails for a month with a rifle.

Ouch... that hurts. I hope some forest manager got an earful.

The monthlong OTC blacktail tag is a nice thing... then again the whole middle 2-1/2 weeks of that season are usually pretty worthless.

That high Cascade hunt is interesting. I've hunted up there, though just in the regular BT season. Low deer densities, at least in the areas I was hunting near Summit lake and south to Mt Theilson. I think some scouting would be in order for that one; maybe a Pacific Crest Trail backpack trip.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They got an earfull, but it's amazing what cash in the rights hands of the forest service can net an outfitter........

I got nearly first-hand info that what I figured happened..........really did.

If you're running an outfitting business in some of the best elk country in the state that's surrounded by public land, what else do you do to justify the $10,000.00 fee, but forcing the elk onto your property?

Any joe bloe could hunt the public land and kill a good bull. I practically had my tagged filled out when I took off. Four months of scouting, GPS work, 3 horseback trips, and scanning maps........I saw 5 very healthy bulls and tons of satellites, spikes, and countless cows days before opening season. When the "smoke" cleared, I was SOL.........

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When I say "nearly first-hand"........That would be the wife of the outfitter that decided to go catting around at the bar one night, had too much to drink, and invited herself to my table at the restaraunt that evening. A little comparison of names and notes, came up with about as good of evidence that I could likely obtain, including an admission of my suspicion.

Took me four years to confirm what I knew was the truth.............I'm looking forward to living, working, and hunting somewhere else.

IC B2

M
M
Yeah, Montana sucks, stay out......

You can always get a general deer tag or a deprivation tag in Montana. Select draw areas are harder to come by.

Hunting is a business. States make money. I thought Wyoming and Montana nicer than Idaho or Utah. But too many people, and too many wolves are going to generate undesirable results anywhere.

Unfortunately, for every resident who complains there are five non residents willing and able to pay.

munk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Matt,
I hear South Dakota is real friendly to firearms companies!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wyoming is the least populated State in the nation, where do you get your facts?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope some forest manager got an earful.
Won't do any good after the fact. The comments should have been made during the time allotted for such during the planning process. Prescribed burns don't happen over night, plenty of time to find out about them and get your comments in.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
And yes, Montana really does suck.

Yep...Montana SUCKS!!! laugh Now go home and tell your friends!! wink

Todd

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Problem is I am home.
Don't have any friends either....grin

Last edited by SamOlson; 04/27/08.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now, now, you know that ain't entirely true laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What he really isn't at home..... frown

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's true... Sam's from West Dakota wink

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, I'll fess up.
North Dakotan by birth.............

Not!

Laughin'!

Nothin' against ND BTW.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Them's fightin' words Brad!

Laughin' again!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coolallright Mac, no need to get nasty, be nice or I'll tell him where you were hatched.....can you say extortion....GRINS

Dobro

Mac=tomorrow out of town @ 2:30? Meet at YGS? And Dan's memorial serice is at 1 on Tuesday at my church.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Everyone is going to have to learn to play the game. Tag prices are goin up and are more difficult to get. 8mmwapiti I didn't draw last year either but because I marked a box that I wanted them to contact me if the had extra tags, I still got a Montana tag after the state alloted extra tags. You need to put as many chances in your favor. when you do good thins happen. I drew again this year.

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.