Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tree Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have a couple of questions for all you<BR>knowledgeable souls regarding the<BR>Leupold VariX-III M3 LR. I have finally<BR>broken down and purchased an M1A NM and <BR>want to scope it. <P>1. About a year ago, I heard second hand<BR>that the 308 cam being shipped was set<BR>for a new 175gr load used by DoD, rather <BR>than the standard 168gr. If true, is this<BR>still the case?<P>2. I understand that the VX-III M1 LR cams<BR>can be added to the M3. Does this eliminate<BR>use of the BD Cams?<P>Thanks In Advance from the Perpetually <BR>Perplexed,<P>Tree<P>

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tree, <BR> I would recommend you e-mail Dick Thomas at Premier Reticles. You can get his e-mail from <A HREF="http://www.premierreticles.com" TARGET=_blank>www.premierreticles.com</A> . I can't think of a better information source on Leupolds regarding BDCs and turret conversion. Best, Matt in Virginia.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
T
Tree Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Matt,<P>Thanks! Your point is well taken. I had <BR>thought about trying to contact Leupold,<BR>but it would have taken me a lot of time<BR>to get through Customer Service and talk<BR>to someone who really knows. I will contact<BR>Premier per your suggestion.<P>By the way, from the weather reports, it <BR>sounds like you are getting a good bit of snowfall for Virginia, up to 8".<P>Up here in the DC area, with the forecast <BR>and accumulation even exceeding 1 inch in<BR>places... everybody went and rushed to take<BR>their place in the traffic jam. Those not<BR>sitting in traffic or involved in the many<BR>local multicar accidents are probably in the<BR>grocery store repeating the local snow<BR>mantra: "Bread, Milk, Toilet Paper". (Y'all<BR>from Alaska and the Dakotas, now stop your<BR>laughing). <P>Tree<BR>

<P>Tree,<P>1) I understand the 168g dial will work with the 175g bullet. These M3 scopes and the Mark 4 M3 have calibrated dials...not cams.<P>2)A M3 scope can be changed over the M1 adjustments with 1/4 moa clicks. The M1 adjustments are "target style" adjustments. M3 has 1 moa clicks on the elevation and 1/2 moa clicks for windage. Leupold can do this for you for $$73 for elevation only or $125 for both windage and elevation.<P>3)Generally speaking if you want accuracy go with the M1. If you want a quick way to adjust for distance shooting go with the M3. Remember, as an example, at 600 yards 1 minute click will move point of impact about 6 inches or the M1 one click will change POI 1.5 inches<P>Dick <BR>

Dick
T
Tree Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Dick,<P>Thanks so much for replying. We are very <BR>fortunate to have such a tremendous amount<BR>of knowledge available here. <P>I do appreciate you cutting to the chase <BR>on the decision point between the M1 and M3. <BR>I don't think that I will have the time for<BR>long range target shooting. The nearest <BR>long distance range I know of is down in <BR>Quantico. (Currently on the other side of a<BR>128 car accident, according to reports.)<P>So it sounds like the M3 is the better<BR>choice.And from the pricing it begins to<BR>sound like an illuminated mildot may end up<BR>being about the same as or less expensive<BR>than the non-illuminated mildot.<BR> <BR>Thanks Again,<P>Tree

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tree, <P> Actually we got fairly lucky and just recieved sleet and rain... Hope you have good luck with your scope choice. Best, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tree,<BR>You're gonna love the LRM3!<BR>Like Mr.Thomas said just remember that the clicks are 1 Min. and you'll do fine.<BR>I played around with mine and found that out to 660yds the corelation between the 168's and 175's is almost nil.Any error present is under the crosswire and can't be determined.<BR>Factor in atmospheric changes from day to day and it's zero for practical application.<BR>One thing though.On your M1A make sure your mount is as solid as feasable.Bed the thing if necessary so it mates like a glove.The mount is the weakest link on the M14,and can give you fits if it decides to betray you.<BR>Good luck to ya!<BR>E4E<P>------------------<BR>Remove the mechanical variables,and then you can only blame yourself!<BR>http://home.intekom.com/upfront/cost.htm

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
T
Tree Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Matt,<BR> Good to hear that you did not have to deal<BR> with the snow. The weatherman were<BR> spreading tales of panic and disaster.<P>E4E,<BR> Dang, I guess I will go out and do it.<BR> Your points on the mount are right<BR> on. The M1A receiver is not particularly<BR> convenient for a mount.<P> I have an ARMS 18. Before I stick it on, I<BR> am thinking through 2 issues. First, to <BR> make sure I don't put it on crooked. (And I<BR> have heard of such cases.) Second, what I<BR> should do between the receiver and the<BR> mount. I will probably just slather gun<BR> grease between the two.<P> Thanks Again!<P> Tree

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.