-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ought to point out that crack and meth share a very nasty characteristic. One hit is all it takes to addict most people. Heroin a bit longer. I don't see booze being quite so emphatic. Besides, in my previous post, I outlined what those users actually do. Legalizing those drugs would not reduce the need and the necessity of paying for it. End result--burglary,robbery,theft,prostitution. The only other option would be government supplied crack and meth. So what is the answer?? Jail is about as good as we are going to get for the foreseeable future.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by isaac
but I am not aware of the existence of violent crime rings in the business of supplying kids with these things. The profit would not be sufficient to motivate it.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please tell me you're kidding in an effort to make some kind of point!
Perhaps I'm ignorant on this point, so please inform me of the kind of profit there is to be made selling cigarettes and boos to kids? Sufficient to risk jail time? Remember, your scenario was that it would remain a crime to sell to kids.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I ought to point out that crack and meth share a very nasty characteristic. One hit is all it takes to addict most people. Heroin a bit longer. I don't see booze being quite so emphatic. Besides, in my previous post, I outlined what those users actually do. Legalizing those drugs would not reduce the need and the necessity of paying for it. End result--burglary,robbery,theft,prostitution. The only other option would be government supplied crack and meth. So what is the answer?? Jail is about as good as we are going to get for the foreseeable future.
I guarantee you that if you slipped some crack in my morning glass of OJ, I would be no more inclined to go out and buy another hit than I am now. More likely less so.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
"Things" includes illegal substances such as drugs and alcohol.Never heard of one guy going to jail for selling kids nicotine. The amount of the profit is of no significant import. But, in trying to understand you further, let's say a guy sells a kid a 5th of vodka for 50 bucks. Kid drinks to near unconsciousness then drives and kills an innocent. You feel the seller of the vodka to the kid should be subject to no criminal exposure,right?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's no such thing as a war on drugs. How many on here have ever seen drugs laying in the street dead or dying? It's a war on people. A war on liberty.

If it continues as it has for another hundred years there will be no more effect than what we've already seen, none. The only difference will be much, MUCH less liberty. The drugs, violent crimes and gang related incidents will continue along smoothly. As will the futiile efforts of black-clad soldiers making war on the citizenry and the Bill of Rights.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"Things" includes illegal substances such as drugs and alcohol.Never heard of one guy going to jail for selling kids nicotine. The amount of the profit is of no significant import. But, in trying to understand you further, let's say a guy sells a kid a 5th of vodka for 50 bucks. Kid drinks to near unconsciousness then drives and kills an innocent. You feel the seller of the vodka to the kid should be subject to no criminal exposure,right?
How much time would you serve for selling a fifth of vodka to a minor today?

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
issac, I believe your scenario would be covered by the child endangerment statutes, please correct me if I am wrong Sir.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
but I am not aware of the existence of violent crime rings in the business of supplying kids with these things. The profit would not be sufficient to motivate it.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please tell me you're kidding in an effort to make some kind of point!
Perhaps I'm ignorant on this point, so please inform me of the kind of profit there is to be made selling cigarettes and boos to kids? Sufficient to risk jail time (Remember, your scenario was that it would remain a crime to sell to kids.).

Hawk, this place is full of adolescent gangs of crack users and dealers....15 year old arrested for murder this week, crack dispute. 14 year old crack ho's. you have to catch them young, because they don't live long.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll keep that in mind when I see guys here complaining about how their homes were burglarizes,guns and jewelry stolen,cars broken into and cleaned out. I guess you believe things would be so much better for all of us if we just left those poor little scaliwags to themselves. Of course you will cheerfully pay the much higher insurance premiums and take the first steps towards sharing everything one owns just so these poor druggies can get their candy. If the cops can't fight them we can't either. so where is your liberty then?? At the mercy of drug addicts. And drugs would be legal How did that happen??

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The drugs, violent crimes and gang related incidents will continue along smoothly. As will the futiile efforts of black-clad soldiers making war on the citizenry and the Bill of Rights."

I take that back. In a hundred years theree will be no Bill of Rights. The neoconservatives will have long since done away with that troublesome document...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BWAHAHAHAHAHA! *****evil laugh*****yes, my paranoid friend, the PA stormtroopers are on their way to your house right now.

Before you knock black clad police, you ought to drive the battering ram on a few crack houses in the flooded parts of New Orleans, bro.

And if you think a society can just legalize hard drugs and shrug, take a little historical look at what opium did to the Asian countries where its use was, and is, widespread.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Don't normally answer to questions to a question but from probation to up to 30 days for a first time offense and no aggravating circumstances. Google criminal liability and sentencing of parents who allowed minors to drink in their homes and where aggravating circumstances later resulted. There's a Va couple who got 3 years, I believe, when one of the kids left the party and committed vehicular manslaughter.

Parents lose their children over the contributions to their kid's deliquencies such as permitting them to drink and drug.

You still didn't answer my question but I'll throw in another. Your wonderful child goes to a party where a 21 year old buys her booze and on her way home there is a fatal accident. Your daughter survives, is disfugured and there is a "victimless" dead guy. The 21 year old walks as he only committed a victimless crime that merely involved a financial transaction,right? Now make it pot, coke, meth or whatever your state has deemed a illegal, controlled substance.

Hawk, when you hang your shingle, allow me to give you some free, sound advice. If you get a case such as those described above, don't argue your beliefs to a Florida jury.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Hawk, this place is full of adolescent gangs of crack users and dealers....15 year old arrested for murder this week, crack dispute. 14 year old crack ho's. you have to catch them young, because they don't live long.
True, but that begs the question, doesn't it? Those kids are hooked and causing problems because there are huge profits to be made selling drugs, and that's because they are illegal with stiff penalties attached. These factors raise the price and the profit margins, thus the motivation of the suppliers and pushers, thus the number of kids who are hooked. Take the illegality out of the equation, and you pull the rug out from under the whole industry, and it disappears tomorrow. Of course that would put a whole lot of government employees out of work too, which is a large part of why it doesn't happen.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by T LEE
issac, I believe your scenario would be covered by the child endangerment statutes, please correct me if I am wrong Sir.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

No, you're not wrong Terry. Those are part of the criminal stautory scheme. Child endangerment charges are misdemeanor to felony offenses( still criminal statutes) Of course, if aggravating circumstances occur as a consequence of such sale and use, well, you know what lies next!

William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I'll keep that in mind when I see guys here complaining about how their homes were burglarizes,guns and jewelry stolen,cars broken into and cleaned out. I guess you believe things would be so much better for all of us if we just left those poor little scaliwags to themselves. Of course you will cheerfully pay the much higher insurance premiums and take the first steps towards sharing everything one owns just so these poor druggies can get their candy. If the cops can't fight them we can't either. so where is your liberty then?? At the mercy of drug addicts. And drugs would be legal How did that happen??
How many alcoholics and cigarette smokers break into homes to support their habits? Not many, because their habits are relatively cheap to support, as a drug habit would be, if they were legal to possess, sell, purchase. Cheaper, even.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Take the illegality out of it for whom, Hawkeye? Minors?

William Arthur Ward

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A lot of Mental Patients,who are largley only a threat to themselves,are taking up space in our cells.These people get no treatment or help.At one time ,they were housed in Mental Institutions.Now with no Meds or help they wind up in jail.I am not talking of murders,rapists or strong arm robbers.I am talking of people who have fallen between the cracks of Society,because of the Demise of Mental health care by our Kinder,compassionate government. I am not a Liberal.No way.Facts are facts.I am all for Swift Justice for Dangerous Criminals(The Gallows)But a lot of people taking up space in prisons do not belong there.

Last edited by Huntz; 05/03/08.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Quit throwing cigarette smoking into the mix. It's silly. As to alcohol, it is probably the most prevalent drug involving all crimes committed while under any influence of intoxicants.

Last edited by isaac; 05/03/08.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bullcrap Hawkeye. Most druggies use on the order of $100 a day. Lots use much more. When they use that much more then we get stuck with paying the hospital bills for them and it ain't cheap nor is it pretty. I had to work in the bad areas for 24 years and the toll it takes it stupifying. Cheap?? NOT by any stretch of the imagination. They make the clssic jakie bum look like a clean,model citizen by comparison.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Hawk...Are you trying to dance around a position that it should be legal for minors to purchase alcohol and drugs?

Last edited by isaac; 05/03/08.

William Arthur Ward

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,509 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.