Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
I have to qualify my response in that I have been a long time serious Collector of No.1 rifles. As a Collector, by definition, you can't be limited to just one! However, if I could say that it is for hunting/shooting only, my choice by far is the No.1 in .25-06 with the 24" lightweight barrel made in 2006. That is the first time in the 40 year history of the production of the No.1 that a production run with that barrel weight and length has been made. It is found with both the beavertail forearm and the Alex Henry style forearm. With the AH forearm, a very few were stocked with Circassian walnut. It has been mentioned above in the thread; just wanted to get another vote in for it!!

I must concur on this one!! El Numero Uno, has anyone been able to narrow down just how many were stocked with Circassian walnut? I bought two of them just because I LOVE how they feel, handle and point! Can't beat the looks of the Circassian either...just wondering about numbers though.

Todd

GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I would say the 1-S 45/70 configuration is the handiest by far in my opinion. If I could have only one, 30-06 in the 1A is the same length and weight so it would probably feel just as good. The 9.3x74 isn't a bad choice either however.

Still, the balance of one with 22 inch barrel and 38.5 inch length seems optimum to me. If you only have one the 30-06 would have the most possible bases covered I think caliber-wise. I like the look of the AH fore end as well.

Last edited by esldude; 05/08/08.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Pre-warning 1A in 7X57 with the beautiful wood they used back then.
Kinda like the one I have!

Same here, just wish it were a bit more accurate, probably has one of those long throated barrels.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have it now, a 1S in .300H&H.

Jim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I had one I bought used years ago. Didn't take much time to figure out why it was for sale, as the barrel heated, the groups would shift vertically up to about 8 MOA ... first shot hit point of aim, 2nd shot up 2 MOA, 3rd shot an additional 1.5 MOA, etc 'til it stopped getting hotter each shot. Any point where the barrel temp stabilized, it'd shoot real small groups, but when does that happen except at the range or on first shots? Eventually I traded it.

Tom

With today's stuff, all you'd need to compensate would be a stick-on thermometer for the barrel and turrets on the scope and you'd be good to go! wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

C
c j Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I only HAVE one so far, but it's one that I'd been trying to get for awhile: 1B in 6mm Rem.

I'm hoping to get one in 338 WM and 270 Wby Mag at some point, but it may be awhile down the road.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I am down to a couple No 1 so I think I'll keep the RSI in 275 Rigby which is the 7x57.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Tough one for me. Comes down to three to decide from, all would be in the H configuration, either in .300 H&H, .405 Win or .45-70. Just because of the classic chambering mated to a classic design. I really don't knwo which I'd choose is faced with the choice. Might cme down to a coin toss.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The only thing about the 405 Win, though it shoots real nice, is the cost of components. Brass is a little expensive compared to the rest. I love mine!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why my K-1A 6.5x55 of course......and it IS the only #1 now! Would take it anywere, with proper loads.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I had to keep just one, it would be the 7x57 RSI. With handloads, it would do me for just about all the hunting that I have left to do...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by the_shootist
The only thing about the 405 Win, though it shoots real nice, is the cost of components. Brass is a little expensive compared to the rest. I love mine!

Actually I've yet to shoot mine yet and i'm thinking the single box of Hornady ammo will provide my brass needs for a long time. Besides, if only alowed one of these fine rifles, hink of the extra $ you'd have left for the cartridge components. grin

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Mine is pretty accurate. Here's a 100 yard group. Nothing to sneeze at, IMHO. I am getting around the 2400 fps velocities aith 300 gr pills. Quite a hammer.

Brass in Canada is about $55/50 brass. I figure with the two boxes of factory I bought at the same time as the rifle, and the box of 50 I got later, I'm set for a while too. Barnes X bullets shoot like the above target in a lot of my rifles, but I really like them in 405.

[Linked Image]

I've posted this pic before, but here it is again, just for fun. BlkHawk73 -- get that thing primed up and start shooting it!

[Linked Image]

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by c j
I only HAVE one so far, but it's one that I'd been trying to get for awhile: 1B in 6mm Rem.

I'm hoping to get one in 338 WM and 270 Wby Mag at some point, but it may be awhile down the road.

It took me a while to find the 6mm as well, but I like it a lot. When I found it I was just looking for a 6mm, no particular rifle. I got to scratch two itches at once. I do like the .270 Roy, it was the first bolt rifle I purchased, in a M70XTR of all things.

I was not aware the rifle was ever chambered in the 300 H&H, but I'm not a real #1 loonie. I'm thinking that would have to be my pick, as I am partial to classic cartridge in a classy rifle.

I have a 7-08 in a Montana already, but I am continually drawn to the .275 Rigby in a RSI, just to go along with the M70 WinLite in .280 and the XP-100 in .284 Winchester. Talk about overlap. The others, admittedly, are as far from a #1 RSI as one can get.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cartridges I'd consider include only the

.30/06
.338/06 (maybe)
and .45/70

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Like others, I have a few #1's but if I had to downsize to one it would be the 1B in '06. It would pretty much cover the range of hunting in North America and in a pinch can be loaded w/small pills for shooting varmits. Besides that, it's fun to shoot, easy to carry, and as a reloader, with all the options available in bullets and powders, it could keep me busy experimenting. IMHO it's the all round cartridge and suits the #1 to a T.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do only have a single Ruger No. 1-- A Tropical Rifle in .375 H&H.

I have wanted one of these guns-- this specific model-- for as long as I can remember. My beautiful young wife gave it to me for my 50th birthday two years ago. If I could only have one this would be it.

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Chinook
I do only have a single Ruger No. 1-- A Tropical Rifle in .375 H&H.

I have wanted one of these guns-- this specific model-- for as long as I can remember. My beautiful young wife gave it to me for my 50th birthday two years ago. If I could only have one this would be it.

Could you elaborate on how to get a beautiful young wife? We'll talk about how to guide them, as an elder statesman does, to give you rifles later. If you've achieved that, you can have all the No. 1's you want. smile

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[quote=kciHCould you elaborate on how to get a beautiful young wife? We'll talk about how to guide them, as an elder statesman does, to give you rifles later. If you've achieved that, you can have all the No. 1's you want. smile [/quote]

I found mine in a chat room grin Actually the very first person I ever chatted with. A year later she moved up here and a year after that we got married. Be 9 yr this this. She's bought me a few firearms herself (I choose, she paid) and I've been fortunet to have the funds to almost double my collection.
They're out there, just gotta find 'em. smile

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlkHawk73
[quote=kciHCould you elaborate on how to get a beautiful young wife? We'll talk about how to guide them, as an elder statesman does, to give you rifles later. If you've achieved that, you can have all the No. 1's you want. smile

I found mine in a chat room grin Actually the very first person I ever chatted with. A year later she moved up here and a year after that we got married. Be 9 yr this this. She's bought me a few firearms herself (I choose, she paid) and I've been fortunet to have the funds to almost double my collection.
They're out there, just gotta find 'em. smile [/quote]

It's too late for me, I already got a bad one, save yourself. smile

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.