Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know this is heresy with you single shot guys, but I have to ask.

I'll not hold myself to this stingy idea, as I already have a 1 in 6mm Rem which I enjoy.

If you could have only one No. 1, what would the configuration and chambering be? This isn't a "only one" rifle, shotgun, handgun question, just talking No. 1's.

I lean towards the RSI in 7x57, certainly nothing against the 1A in that chambering...could be seduced by a 1-H in .405 or the 9.3.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
RSI, hand selected wood, 9.3x62.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Always wanted an rsi 7x57 with killer wood...just to hunt with on sunny days...

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
IMO the newer release of the Ruger #1-AH configeration is about
"perfect" a carry single shot rifle.

The #1-AH in 25-06 purchased by many members is a handsome rifle and an accurate rifle.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

Had one of those, really fun carbine!
Probably that one would do for me also....
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have an original No.1-AB in .270 with box and paperwork. I like it more than my two other No. 1 rifles in .338WM and .220 Swift. Thanks...Bill.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My .280 1B is going into the box with me. It got me started down this road and is still my favorite.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 05/08/08.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The single shot RSI with well-figured wood & the Kepplinger single set-trigger in 7x57 that I've already got. I.E., I'm completely satisfied with "status quo". smile

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The RSI 7x57

I've already got 'er. I only wish I had better furniture on 'er. The wood is pretty average for a #1.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

Had one of those, really fun carbine!
Probably that one would do for me also....
Cat

Well, if I could have two, that'd be the other one.....

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well if it could only be one I would take a 1-H in either .404 Jeff. or .500 NE. Next choice would be a 1-A in .300 H&H.

I wish Ruger would open a custom shop & offer options like those. Ruger are you listening?

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
1B in 30/06

Huntin' season yet?

The Freewheeling Tony Smith
Gunsmith/Machinist/Engine Builder
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I only have one, so far. My choice is my
K1-B-BBZ in 7mm08. It can go anywhere, any weather.
Just my thoughts. Some already mentioned are interesting.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have to qualify my response in that I have been a long time serious Collector of No.1 rifles. As a Collector, by definition, you can't be limited to just one! However, if I could say that it is for hunting/shooting only, my choice by far is the No.1 in .25-06 with the 24" lightweight barrel made in 2006. That is the first time in the 40 year history of the production of the No.1 that a production run with that barrel weight and length has been made. It is found with both the beavertail forearm and the Alex Henry style forearm. With the AH forearm, a very few were stocked with Circassian walnut. It has been mentioned above in the thread; just wanted to get another vote in for it!!

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pre-warning 1A in 7X57 with the beautiful wood they used back then.
Kinda like the one I have!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1S in 257 Weatherby.

SS

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Only got one, and likely will only ever have one, and it is a #1H in 405 Winchester. NEat old rifle design, neat old cartridge . . . . . messy old man. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 1-S in 300 H&H or a 1-A in 7X57, I think.

The one thing I do know is I really like the way the 1-S in 45-70 handles so, since it's a known entity, I'll just go with that - for now.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just dreaming ... if I could have one made to my tastes it'd be a a .338 but set up as a #1H with a 24" heavy barrel and iron sights instead of the #1B or #1S setup. A #1A in .25-35, .30-30, or .30-40 would also be pretty intriguing. I'd like to see Ruger offer the .45-70 in a #1H configuration.

I wish they'd reintroduce the #1V in .300 Win Mag. I had one I bought used years ago. Didn't take much time to figure out why it was for sale, as the barrel heated, the groups would shift vertically up to about 8 MOA ... first shot hit point of aim, 2nd shot up 2 MOA, 3rd shot an additional 1.5 MOA, etc 'til it stopped getting hotter each shot. Any point where the barrel temp stabilized, it'd shoot real small groups, but when does that happen except at the range or on first shots? Eventually I traded it.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was forced to own only one,,, it would be a 1B in 7mm Rem. Mag.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
I have to qualify my response in that I have been a long time serious Collector of No.1 rifles. As a Collector, by definition, you can't be limited to just one! However, if I could say that it is for hunting/shooting only, my choice by far is the No.1 in .25-06 with the 24" lightweight barrel made in 2006. That is the first time in the 40 year history of the production of the No.1 that a production run with that barrel weight and length has been made. It is found with both the beavertail forearm and the Alex Henry style forearm. With the AH forearm, a very few were stocked with Circassian walnut. It has been mentioned above in the thread; just wanted to get another vote in for it!!

I must concur on this one!! El Numero Uno, has anyone been able to narrow down just how many were stocked with Circassian walnut? I bought two of them just because I LOVE how they feel, handle and point! Can't beat the looks of the Circassian either...just wondering about numbers though.

Todd

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I would say the 1-S 45/70 configuration is the handiest by far in my opinion. If I could have only one, 30-06 in the 1A is the same length and weight so it would probably feel just as good. The 9.3x74 isn't a bad choice either however.

Still, the balance of one with 22 inch barrel and 38.5 inch length seems optimum to me. If you only have one the 30-06 would have the most possible bases covered I think caliber-wise. I like the look of the AH fore end as well.

Last edited by esldude; 05/08/08.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Pre-warning 1A in 7X57 with the beautiful wood they used back then.
Kinda like the one I have!

Same here, just wish it were a bit more accurate, probably has one of those long throated barrels.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have it now, a 1S in .300H&H.

Jim
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I had one I bought used years ago. Didn't take much time to figure out why it was for sale, as the barrel heated, the groups would shift vertically up to about 8 MOA ... first shot hit point of aim, 2nd shot up 2 MOA, 3rd shot an additional 1.5 MOA, etc 'til it stopped getting hotter each shot. Any point where the barrel temp stabilized, it'd shoot real small groups, but when does that happen except at the range or on first shots? Eventually I traded it.

Tom

With today's stuff, all you'd need to compensate would be a stick-on thermometer for the barrel and turrets on the scope and you'd be good to go! wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
c j Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I only HAVE one so far, but it's one that I'd been trying to get for awhile: 1B in 6mm Rem.

I'm hoping to get one in 338 WM and 270 Wby Mag at some point, but it may be awhile down the road.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I am down to a couple No 1 so I think I'll keep the RSI in 275 Rigby which is the 7x57.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Tough one for me. Comes down to three to decide from, all would be in the H configuration, either in .300 H&H, .405 Win or .45-70. Just because of the classic chambering mated to a classic design. I really don't knwo which I'd choose is faced with the choice. Might cme down to a coin toss.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The only thing about the 405 Win, though it shoots real nice, is the cost of components. Brass is a little expensive compared to the rest. I love mine!

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why my K-1A 6.5x55 of course......and it IS the only #1 now! Would take it anywere, with proper loads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I had to keep just one, it would be the 7x57 RSI. With handloads, it would do me for just about all the hunting that I have left to do...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by the_shootist
The only thing about the 405 Win, though it shoots real nice, is the cost of components. Brass is a little expensive compared to the rest. I love mine!

Actually I've yet to shoot mine yet and i'm thinking the single box of Hornady ammo will provide my brass needs for a long time. Besides, if only alowed one of these fine rifles, hink of the extra $ you'd have left for the cartridge components. grin

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Mine is pretty accurate. Here's a 100 yard group. Nothing to sneeze at, IMHO. I am getting around the 2400 fps velocities aith 300 gr pills. Quite a hammer.

Brass in Canada is about $55/50 brass. I figure with the two boxes of factory I bought at the same time as the rifle, and the box of 50 I got later, I'm set for a while too. Barnes X bullets shoot like the above target in a lot of my rifles, but I really like them in 405.

[Linked Image]

I've posted this pic before, but here it is again, just for fun. BlkHawk73 -- get that thing primed up and start shooting it!

[Linked Image]

Brother Keith

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by c j
I only HAVE one so far, but it's one that I'd been trying to get for awhile: 1B in 6mm Rem.

I'm hoping to get one in 338 WM and 270 Wby Mag at some point, but it may be awhile down the road.

It took me a while to find the 6mm as well, but I like it a lot. When I found it I was just looking for a 6mm, no particular rifle. I got to scratch two itches at once. I do like the .270 Roy, it was the first bolt rifle I purchased, in a M70XTR of all things.

I was not aware the rifle was ever chambered in the 300 H&H, but I'm not a real #1 loonie. I'm thinking that would have to be my pick, as I am partial to classic cartridge in a classy rifle.

I have a 7-08 in a Montana already, but I am continually drawn to the .275 Rigby in a RSI, just to go along with the M70 WinLite in .280 and the XP-100 in .284 Winchester. Talk about overlap. The others, admittedly, are as far from a #1 RSI as one can get.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cartridges I'd consider include only the

.30/06
.338/06 (maybe)
and .45/70

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Like others, I have a few #1's but if I had to downsize to one it would be the 1B in '06. It would pretty much cover the range of hunting in North America and in a pinch can be loaded w/small pills for shooting varmits. Besides that, it's fun to shoot, easy to carry, and as a reloader, with all the options available in bullets and powders, it could keep me busy experimenting. IMHO it's the all round cartridge and suits the #1 to a T.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do only have a single Ruger No. 1-- A Tropical Rifle in .375 H&H.

I have wanted one of these guns-- this specific model-- for as long as I can remember. My beautiful young wife gave it to me for my 50th birthday two years ago. If I could only have one this would be it.

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Chinook
I do only have a single Ruger No. 1-- A Tropical Rifle in .375 H&H.

I have wanted one of these guns-- this specific model-- for as long as I can remember. My beautiful young wife gave it to me for my 50th birthday two years ago. If I could only have one this would be it.

Could you elaborate on how to get a beautiful young wife? We'll talk about how to guide them, as an elder statesman does, to give you rifles later. If you've achieved that, you can have all the No. 1's you want. smile

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[quote=kciHCould you elaborate on how to get a beautiful young wife? We'll talk about how to guide them, as an elder statesman does, to give you rifles later. If you've achieved that, you can have all the No. 1's you want. smile [/quote]

I found mine in a chat room grin Actually the very first person I ever chatted with. A year later she moved up here and a year after that we got married. Be 9 yr this this. She's bought me a few firearms herself (I choose, she paid) and I've been fortunet to have the funds to almost double my collection.
They're out there, just gotta find 'em. smile

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlkHawk73
[quote=kciHCould you elaborate on how to get a beautiful young wife? We'll talk about how to guide them, as an elder statesman does, to give you rifles later. If you've achieved that, you can have all the No. 1's you want. smile

I found mine in a chat room grin Actually the very first person I ever chatted with. A year later she moved up here and a year after that we got married. Be 9 yr this this. She's bought me a few firearms herself (I choose, she paid) and I've been fortunet to have the funds to almost double my collection.
They're out there, just gotta find 'em. smile [/quote]

It's too late for me, I already got a bad one, save yourself. smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Only one? I'd have to keep my Lipseys 1-AH in 25-06.

Really like my 1A 7x57 also but, the 25-06 would be easier to shoot one handed after they cut my left arm off to get the 7x57!

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The more I shoot my 9.3x74R,the more I like it.It seems to have a better balance than appears at first.I am looking into a better trigger and I may have over-scoped it for now,Swaro 1.5x6,but we'll see where it takes us down the road...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm living the dream with my current #1A in 7x57

Hank

kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rifle
The more I shoot my 9.3x74R,the more I like it.It seems to have a better balance than appears at first.I am looking into a better trigger and I may have over-scoped it for now,Swaro 1.5x6,but we'll see where it takes us down the road...

The Kepplinger is a pretty sweet trigger, at $180 it wasn't exactly cheap, but it's not a cheap product.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard many good things about that trigger and I'm looking into it.I have a couple of CZ's with set triggers and they are a ball.Just too many projects on the table right now...
I have been looking for cast bullet loads for my .450/400 as well.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BlkHawk73
Tough one for me. Comes down to three to decide from, all would be in the H configuration, either in .300 H&H, .405 Win or .45-70. Just because of the classic chambering mated to a classic design. I really don't knwo which I'd choose is faced with the choice. Might cme down to a coin toss.

300H&H does not do anything for me. .405 is neat, that long straight rimmed cartridge just looks right for a SS.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rifle
I've heard many good things about that trigger and I'm looking into it.I have a couple of CZ's with set triggers and they are a ball.Just too many projects on the table right now...
I have been looking for cast bullet loads for my .450/400 as well.

The Kepplinger is not cheap. It's fairly easy to install it you have minimal mechanical skills. I liked it so well I have three, in 22 Hornet and 30-06 Standard rifles and one in my 7x57 1a. I did not go that route in the 375 & 458, the factory is fine for a heavy rifle.

The one I installed in the '06 did not fit well to start with, either the Klepplinger body was too wide or the trigger slot was too narrow, so I slowlely filed/ 600w/d sandpaper on a plate and stoned it until it fit the slot without binding and everything was fine. I also polish the top othe Klepplinger housing and the bottom of the sear bar where it contacts and rotates to make a smooth unset action. The sear bar appears to be a piece of stamped metal and is rough on the edges.

Try one and you will never be sorry.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Compared to some here, I have a small collection of Number Ones and choosing which would be the "only one" would be quite difficult. Right now it would be a toss up between my #1A in 7x57 or the #1S in .300 Win. Mag.
What I would like to have would be a #1S in .35 Whelen with a 26" barrel and the proper 1 in 12" twist. For me, that would be perfection personified. It has the look of a proper Victorian sporting rifle and would be the one I most likely would hunt with for the rest of my life.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have several that I would never part with but if I HAD to limit myself to one, it would have to be my 1-B in .270 Weatherby Magnum. It never ceases to amaze me with its out of the box accuracy, it shoots flat as a laser and is one my my "go to" rifles when I expect a longish shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do currently only have one, but it's what I'd want anyway. A nice #1A in .30-06 that's a tack driver. Great in the hands and accurate enough for any distance that I have a right to shoot.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I am kind of new around here, but I have been a fan of Ruger No. 1 rifles since I got my first - a 1H in .375 H&H - about 35 years ago. Today, I have four, all 1H rifles: .375 H&H, .405 Winchester, .416 Rigby, and .458 Lott.
I do not see myself selling any of them.

Last edited by flyer898; 11/14/20. Reason: Typos
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a 1A 7x57, 1S's in 9.3x74, 30-06 (24") and 300 H&H, and 1H's in in 375 H&H and 450/400 NE. I like the handling of the 24" barrel length best and if I had to choose one to keep, it'd be the 1S 30-06.

I did handle a 24" light barreled 1S in 250 Savage (I think) a couple years ago and really liked it. That configuration would probably be my 1st choice, though would prefer a different chambering.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have three. A 1A in 7x57, 1A in .303B with NECG aperture sight and a 1S in 9.3x62. But the 7x57 would be the one I would keep. Not just my last Ruger Number 1 but as my very last rifle.

Last edited by Elvis; 11/14/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Can you get one a Whelen that would be my choice. ! 😀

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Whelenman

Yes!

Loving the 35 Whelen, I own (9) of them in the No. 1; (6) 1-As and (3) in 1-S'.

I did decide however, to make a battery of rimmed cartridges for the falling block, so built this collection:

22 Hornet -varmint
303 British -small bore
9.3x74R -medium bore
450/400 -large medium
450NE -large bore

I am very pleased with this battery, but couldn't resist acquiring a few more in 6.5x55, 7x57, 275 Rigby, 300H&H, 405Win., & 45-70.

It's been a fun and pleasing journey.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a BUNCH. 11 are total customs it’s draw between my 6-57 Rimmed that also shoots 6mmRem brass exactly the same , rimmed and no rim . And a 405 win both have custom octogon ,1/2 round barrels , English walnut and color case hardened. All have Kipplingers I only have one Kipplinger left so I better build another😂

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

x1A, 7x57

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I only have one so I guess that's my favorite. A No.1B in .300 Win Mag. Bought it on consignment about 20 yeats ago for $650. It had been Mag-Na-Ported and had a decelerator pad installed and had a Leupold VariX-II 3x9 mounted in the factory rings.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Its not even close. My old 45-70 S version with the Alex Henry forend and really nice wood. I love that rifle.

Now the one i want to find is an new 45-70 in stainless. It would be fun and not worrying so much about wear and finish.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Liberty #1B, in .270 Winchester, and yes I have one.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I only have the 4 digit pre B in .280 rem.
But what I really want is a 1A in 35 rem, stainless.
Keep looking for a donor for the project.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Whelenman

Yes, #1S 35 Whelen

Last edited by StoneCutter; 11/16/20.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Having owned a few over the years, and currently owning two, I gotta say that if I were limited to one hunting rifle for my current needs and it were limited to a Ruger #1 (fine by me!) it would be my current 1A 6.5x55. It does it all for me. The .250-3000 1A would be a close second.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I can't believe no one has mentioned a .223 in a 1A or an RSI grin - with a 1/8 twist.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have owned several over the last 50 years, but I DO only have one now and it's one I would not part with. My 9.3X74R.

If i could waive a magic want and have one more, I think I'd take a 300 H&&H. But if I can only have one #1 it's the one I have now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 45-70.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have owned three #1's, a .25-06, a .257 Roberts, and this one, a custom chambered for .280 RCBS Imp. I worked up loads for the wildcat, only to discover that this rifle shoots plain old .280 ammo with sub-MOA accuracy!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I have only one #1......and I married her 38 years ago.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Also living the dream. K1A 6.5x55 SE. Comliments of El Numero Uno. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i have only one and bought it because of its configuration along with a buddy of mine
ruger #1 ah in 25-06

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I have owned three #1's, a .25-06, a .257 Roberts, and this one, a custom chambered for .280 RCBS Imp. I worked up loads for the wildcat, only to discover that this rifle shoots plain old .280 ammo with sub-MOA accuracy!

Would appreciate details on this rifle. Like who built it, when etc. That is a outstanding custom rifle.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Reg .280 rem, running 150gr Corelokts.......vertical group just over an inch at 100 yds.
Mucho bettero than what the Federal Premium shot.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Take it out tomorrow, last day of gun season.

Must admit, the rifle does bump a bit. Def could benefit from a better recoil pad.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/28/20.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by Bighorn

Would appreciate details on this rifle. Like who built it, when etc. That is a outstanding custom rifle.

This rifle was built in 1981, to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Guns Magazine. It was ultimately auctioned off, with myself being the winner, and the proceeds were used to support the US Olympic ShootingTeam.
The metalwork on the action was done by Ray Viramontez, and fitted with a Shilen 24" barrel, chambered for 280 RCBS Imp. The stock is a piece of exhibition-grade California walnut, fitted and checkered by Alvin Lind. The buttstock also features a Brownell Niedner-style grip cap and a Biesen checkered steel buttplate.
For many years, the rifle sat in my gun safe, to be taken out and admired occasionally. Finally, I could not resist the temptation to take it out, scope it, and work up loads for it. I put a Leupold gloss finish M8 6x on it, and fireformed cases for the 7 RCBS. I finally found an accurate load using a 140 gr. Nosler partition bullet, and used the rifle to take the biggest bull elk of my lifetime, a beautiful 7x7. Later, and quite by accident, I tried some factory .280 Nosler ammo, loaded with 140 gr. Accubond bullets, which showed sub-MOA accuracy. The only other thing I have done to the rifle is replace the factory trigger. If I get a chance to do some stand-hunting for whitetails or whatnot, I will use this rifle again for hunting.

Last edited by Bighorn; 11/28/20.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own some #1`s but my all time favorite to hunt with is a laminated S.S. with a custom 27 inch Brux barrel in a 257 Weatherby ,custom picatinny mnts. and a Nightforce scope.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
It would wake me up nights, in a sweat - trying to figure which calibers to dispose of.
Prob'ly take a LOT of years to decide! smile smile smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My 1a 30-06 prob handle everything i ever needed but if i could only have one id build a bastard one

Id want a 1s just like my 45/70 but chambered in 375 H&H. My 1h gets heavy after awhile and for a gun that gets toted more than shot, the S weight with the shorter barrel in 375 would be a do all that would be a dream to carry

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would have a hard time choosing between these two.A custom 7MM-08 [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/[url=https://postimages.org/][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]host image freeurl] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] and this a recently completed project in 300 H&H [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]up load pic [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] I put pics of this up recently titled a custom #1 so won't clutter up the thread with more pictures.
My #1 battery (it isn't really a collection) also includes rifles in 250 Savage, 35 Whelan, 375 H&H, 405 Win and 450/400. Show up in deer camp with a single shot in either the 405 or 450/400 and you draw attention. All of them are fun to shoot and even more fun to hunt with. I'm kinda thinking that a 300 Savage might be a fun project.

Last edited by GSPfan; 12/13/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

The #1-AH in 25-06 purchased by many members is a handsome rifle and an accurate rifle.

Doc

YUP! I'd like better wood on mine, but pretty wood is heavy wood!

Last edited by Switch; 12/14/20.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
My 1A 6.5x55 or RSI in 7x57. Both are a joy to carry in the field and both shoot very well with my handloads.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sgtsmmiii

I can't believe no one has mentioned a .223 in a 1A or an RSI grin - with a 1/8 twist.

OK...how about a .222 with a 9 twist? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did Ruger make it? My fave 22 round.......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 65BR
Did Ruger make it? My fave 22 round.......

Yeah they made a run of 250 units for Lipseys in 2013...

I had to have one.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice! You can do so much handloading for that round........they always shot circles around 223s for me.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i wanna cheat i still want at least 9 - Ruger #1`s 22 Hornet,223,220 Swift,257 Roberts,257 Weatherby mag,30-06,300 WIN.mag.,44 mag.,375 H&H

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Luckily, I have my preferred chambering for the No 1. It's a 45-70. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by sgtsmmiii

OK...how about a .222 with a 9 twist? grin

That, dear heart, is the tits.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My last - was the one I regret the most selling.
K1A Swede. Beautiful figured walnut on SS.

With a 6x42 #4 it shot .55 MOA at 200 yds....all it needed was a Kepplinger trigger.

Last edited by 65BR; 12/20/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did Ruger ever mfg. a 41 mag in No. 1?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It would be one of these 3

1A 22 hornet Colour casehardened

1A 222 Remington with Boddington style wood

1S 38x55

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A case hardened #1 makes a classy looking rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Doc

Agreed!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GSPfan
A case hardened #1 makes a classy looking rifle.

Agreed, would always prefer it on a blued #1 as well as any sixgun.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I like the .405. However, I need a wagon to pull it around. It's a tank.

Attached Images
Last edited by Paulh; 12/24/20.
M
M
458 lott h-1.... Hand loads with 350 barnes is a awesome for deer to elk, 400grs for moose in bear county, & 500's for dangerous stuff. Merry Christmas to you all.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The #1 supports rimmed cartridges and these are traditional for single-shot rifles (although rimless work just fine in the Rugers too}. So I have a rimmed chambering in my #1, and it is the .450/400. If I ran across another one in .30-30, .30-40, or .303 I think these would be tempting!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I bloodied my #1 in 450-400 this deer season. Lots of looks in deer camp but a friend tore up his deer much, much more with a 30-06. My next one may well be a 300 Savage. Paluh I don't find the 405 a burden to carry and as yours is very accurate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would keep the RSI

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That would be my choice, too.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
405 Winchester with 325 gr LBT cast bullets. Hits elk hard

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
A color case hardened #1 [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]imagehosting

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Awesome rifles!!!

I only have one at the moment so it get the glory. Don’t know the proper model other than it’s a number 1 in .257 Roberts. Ruger said it was made in 1999. The Ruger no. 1 on the receiver is colored in gold. Don’t know if that is from the factory or not.

Haven’t killed a deer or hog with it yet. It sure likes a load I made for it with 110 grain Interbonds though 😎.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Number 1A in .223. cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Who did the case colors? They did a fine job!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only one? It would have to be my #1B Liberty in .270 Winchester. It is pretty, very accurate, and is about 9 for 9 on bang flops, deer and pigs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The others have all departed. This is the only No.1 remaining now:

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Did Ruger ever mfg. a 41 mag in No. 1?

Never say never, but probably not smile

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I wanted one pretty bad until I bought three one day. Played with them for a little over a year and traded all three off in a lump just like I bought them. Same with the Mini .30 really wanted one till I bought one and then couldn't get rid of it fast enough. More power to those who like them but none of mine shot like I expected them to so down the road they went. The Mini never shot anything I would call a group but more like a tight shotgun pattern. I had a .223 , 22-250, and a 7-08 and none shot 1" or under, the best did 1 1/2" with a couple of loads.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Probably a 7x57 done up as a stalking look with NECG peep and slimmed stock with QD rings and 1-5 compact scope.

Proud Left hander!
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Mine would be a 1A, either a factory stock 6.5x55 or a 7x57 in the AH configuration that I had made a couple of years ago. Both carry and point easily, with a slight advantage to the 2" shorter barrel of the 6.5x55. Both are accurate with the right handloads, with a consistent advantage to the 7x57. The 7x57 is clocking over 2850 fps with RL-19 behind the 150 Partition and dropped a big mulie buck with authority this past season. The Swede shoots the 140 Partition almost as well with RL-22, but I haven't clocked it yet. It has killed whitetail and pronghorn with equal authority. Probably a dead tie in nostalgia and cool factor. I could be happy with either one for the hunting I do.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It might be a No.1AH with 24” barrel no sites.
The 25/06 has been made in this model, but I’d choose a 250 Savage if I had the choice.
As long as we’re dreaming, the other option would be 358 Winchester.

Last edited by Alaninga; 02/22/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I already have my favorite chambering for the No 1.

It's a 45-70, and now that the PA game commission allows straight walled case rifle calibers in former shotgun zones, which is where I do most of my deer hunting, I like it even better.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I only own one. #1S 35 Whelen.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have posted pics of this one a few times but this is my one and only now and likely to stay that way. Lipsey's special No. 1A with 24" barrel done up as an English stalking rifle, caliber .250 Savage. 6 lbs 12 oz as pictured, very pleasant to shoot and handles like a dream. It has been wearing a Burris Fastfire III but will get a Leupold 1-4x20 here shortly.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
My one and only #1 Ruger. Custom chambered in 3.25 long 405

Attached Images
P1000216.JPG (41.9 KB, 279 downloads)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
great pictures ! nice to know what cartridges everyone enjoys to hunt with. i have hunted around 25 years with a Ruger #1 and my go to cartridge for the last 20 some years is a 257 Weatherby mag with a custom Brux barrel in my Ruger #1 , i plan on starting to use my 257 Roberts in a Ruger #1 for part of the deer season in Minnesota rifle season. Take care , Pete53

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Who did the case colors? They did a fine job!
Ohio Case color. They were done by John Gillette but I heard he has sold the business.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have several number ones 25-06 x2 pcs 7x57 in RSI 243 and 257 Roberts RSI 7mm rem mag If I was forced to only keep one id have separation issues but would probably be my 257 Roberts RSI absolute tack driver and one hell of a looker as well

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have owned a few: two were in .45-70, the last of which I had the throat extended to chamber monos longer. It was the equal of a 22" .458 Win Mag. It was a very light rifle for that much force but I didn't notice until hit with a severe case of arthritis and age. So I turned it in on a #1H in .458 Win Mag, same ballistics but more weight by 2 lbs, plus Mag-Na-Ports to reduce felt recoil. It's my favorite rifle for HUNTING, not lookiing at! Pic on the header of my blogs.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Perish the thought but if I could only have one to use for everything it would be in 300 H&H.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
A 1A in .30-40 Krag.

Old70

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If I could have only 1 it would be the RSI 257 Roberts.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
F
F
Mine will be nearly identical to Jim in Idaho's rifle, a left hand cheekpiece version by RJ Renner. I saw Jim's pics and had to have one; mine is a 1A in .243 Win, but with the tang peep sight. It should show up next week.

While waiting, I found a Renner English Stalking rifle No. 1 in .270 on Rock Island Auctions, and bought it. Fabulous rifle with the best figured wood in the buttstock I have seen on any No. 1. This would be my hands down favorite, except for the caliber. But my goodness it is a dandy to handle and look at.

Jim, I'd like to pick your brain on scope use with these rifles, as the comb is lowered for the irons, but it seems you have no issues.

Gentlemen do not speak of plastic guns in polite company.
RJ Renner
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Only 1885’s for me.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My .450 Nitro Express for sure.
Rick

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A 275 Rigby (7x57) with open sights. Just like the one currently featured on Ruger's website that we can never get up here.

I would also fancy an International in either 7x57R or 7x65R, with nice wood of course.

Last edited by Kurgan; 07/10/23.

If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A 7x57 would be damn cool, but I'm pretty happy with my new 25-06.

Worked up some loads and will be heading off to the range in a couple hours. Hopefully the temp will be down a bit then!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
303 British

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my 22 inch br. 3030 rsi yes I know Ruger never made them with 22 inch br but mine sure shoots fine!!!!!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My one and only. A Lee Newton commissioned 25" barreled 280 AI with an A weight barrel. One of two hundred I believe.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a 15-year-old thread that popped back to the top of the forum that I found to be interesting mainly because I'm a fan of the Ruger #1 & Winchester 1885. I like falling-block single-shots. So just out of idle curiosity, I tallied the votes in this post (some people "cheated" and mentioned more than one rifle so those got half votes). For anyone else who is interested to see how their favorite ranked, here's the results so far:

19x - 7x57 or 275 Rigby
(Split evenly between RSI & 1A)
7x - 405 Winchester
6x - 30-06 Springfield
5.5x - 300 H&H Magnum
5x - 25-06 Remington
5x - 6.5x55 Swede
(Most mentions for stainless)
5x - 45-70 Gov't
4x - 35 Whelen
3x - 375 H&H Magnum
3x - 257 Roberts
(Both RSI & 1A)
3x - 257 Wby Magnum
3x - 270 Win
3x - 280 Remington
2.5x - 250 Savage
2x - 280 AI
2x - 223 Remington
1.5x - 458 Lott
1.5x - 300 Win Mag
1.5x - 222 Remington
1.5x - 7mm-08

The 1x & 0.5x honorable mentions go to:
22 Hornet
6mm Rem
270 Wby
7mm Rem Mag
30-40 Krag
303 British
338 Win Mag
9.3x62
9.3x74r
38-55 Winchester
404 Jeffery
416 Rigby
450 Nitro Express
450/400 Nitro Express

A lot of classic calibers that I would like to own are mentioned but the 7x57mm / 275 Rigby is by far the favorite in this small poll. My two favorites are in the lower honorable mention section so it's a tough call to decide who I want to promote into the upper ranks. My 303 British is a nostalgic favorite but if I could only hunt with a single Ruger #1, I think I would have to keep my 9.3x74r and cast my vote for it. Which still kind of sucks because I really do like my 6.5x55 Swede & my .275 Rigby. It's a tough decision because I'm fond of them all.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Be relegated to only ONE Ruger #1? GOD FORBID!
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by odonata
This is a 15-year-old thread that popped back to the top of the forum that I found to be interesting mainly because I'm a fan of the Ruger #1 & Winchester 1885. I like falling-block single-shots. So just out of idle curiosity, I tallied the votes in this post (some people "cheated" and mentioned more than one rifle so those got half votes). For anyone else who is interested to see how their favorite ranked, here's the results so far:

19x - 7x57 or 275 Rigby
(Split evenly between RSI & 1A)
7x - 405 Winchester
6x - 30-06 Springfield
5.5x - 300 H&H Magnum
5x - 25-06 Remington
5x - 6.5x55 Swede
(Most mentions for stainless)
5x - 45-70 Gov't
4x - 35 Whelen
3x - 375 H&H Magnum
3x - 257 Roberts
(Both RSI & 1A)
3x - 257 Wby Magnum
3x - 270 Win
3x - 280 Remington
2.5x - 250 Savage
2x - 280 AI
2x - 223 Remington
1.5x - 458 Lott
1.5x - 300 Win Mag
1.5x - 222 Remington
1.5x - 7mm-08

The 1x & 0.5x honorable mentions go to:
22 Hornet
6mm Rem
270 Wby
7mm Rem Mag
30-40 Krag
303 British
338 Win Mag
9.3x62
9.3x74r
38-55 Winchester
404 Jeffery
416 Rigby
450 Nitro Express
450/400 Nitro Express

A lot of classic calibers that I would like to own are mentioned but the 7x57mm / 275 Rigby is by far the favorite in this small poll. My two favorites are in the lower honorable mention section so it's a tough call to decide who I want to promote into the upper ranks. My 303 British is a nostalgic favorite but if I could only hunt with a single Ruger #1, I think I would have to keep my 9.3x74r and cast my vote for it. Which still kind of sucks because I really do like my 6.5x55 Swede & my .275 Rigby. It's a tough decision because I'm fond of them all.

Pretty cool. Thanks for posting. Pretty interesting poll there. I always thought a 7x57 #1 would be extremely cool to have. I guess I'm not alone in that. Recently when I found my #1, it was said to be a 243 win and I was pretty happy about that. It turned out to be a 25-06. I don't even see a 243 on your list, but the 25-06 is much more desirable than I thought it would be. The other one I don't see on your list is the 6.5x284 Norma. I almost bought one here locally that was chambered for the Norma cartridge. I thought that would have been cool and it was priced fairly. I also saw brass at Scheels then and the other day as well. More than I can say for the 25-06!!! Cool thread guys.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I don't see 7x57R or 7x65R. Now those would be two desirable calibers. smile

If you don't like where you are, move. You are not a tree.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kurgan
I don't see 7x57R or 7x65R. Now those would be two desirable calibers. smile

Agree! But unfortunately the Ruger #1 was never chambered in those calibers. You would need to spend a bit more cash & get a Blaser K95 if you want those. I’m a fan of rimmed cartridges in single shots but no one chose a .30-30 for their only Ruger #1 either. A couple of other notable exclusions were the .308 Winchester, the 6.5 Creedmoor & the pistol calibers .357 & .44 Magnum.

Some of the choices might reflect being limited to a single rifle as I picked my favorite most powerful caliber that would cover the most varied hunting situations. I didn’t pick my favorite one that I hunt deer with & use the most often. So if another member rewords the question in a new post, I might pick a different caliber.

Last edited by odonata; 07/11/23.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
One chambered in 35 Whelen would be sweet.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My favorite go to, No. 1A light sporter in 35 Whelen. Only way it could be better is if it was the stainless version.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Not a fan.

1885’s & Rolling Blocks for me.

Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I really like my 280 Remington.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my 3030 see above

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Be relegated to only ONE Ruger #1? GOD FORBID!
PJ

> THIS <

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have two (1a 7x57 and a .45-70).
I’m not giving one of them up!

If I could have another, either a Tropical .375 or a 1s 7mm RM. Both would be fine……..

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Only one Oh the horror of it all. Mine are in 250 Savage, 300 Savage, 7MM-08, 300 H&H, 35 Whelan, 375 H&H, 450-400 NE, 405 Win.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned dozens , my first was in 1980. This is the ultimate for me, I don't need or want another.
31 deer so far a moose and coyotes as well, in .303 British - it's actually a #3 not a #1
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by catnthehat
This is the ultimate for me, I don't need or want another. 31 deer so far a moose and coyotes as well, in .303 British...

My Ruger #1 in .303 British is my sentimental favorite because I shot my first deer with it, carry it the most often & I've had the most success with it. But in an earlier post I chose my 9.3x74r because of its extra power & versatility if I could only have one. That doesn't diminish my fondness for my .303 though. It's still a great rifle.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’ve only got a few, a 30-06 1B, a 30-06 international, an unfired 308 1A, a Kbbz 1V in 204R, and a 1B in 22-250 all have exceptional wood except the 204 that is a laminate. If I could only have 1 I’d have to go with one of the 06’s, probably the international as that short barrel is so easy to carry.

"We don't rent pigs"
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I would have to say either my #1 AH in 25-06 or a #1RSI in 7x57, which I don’t have yet. The AH is so light and handy I just love it.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Right now my favorite is a 6.5x57R with a clean slightly heavier barrel than the AH done in stainless with AH wood. It may be displaced by a similarly configured #3 - 25 Krag that is under construction.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I only have one. After admiring them for a time, I ended up buying a 25-06 with custom barrel. I'm pretty happy with it. It seems to be a good shooter. I don't really intend on getting another one, unless one plops down in my lap for $600 again:

It's been fun to play with and seems to shoot damn consistently, with every bullet I've tried in it. Not a "tack driver", but plenty good for what it is. These are cool rifles, they seem to draw attention at the range.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
After being lost with the USPS for four months I have my NIB #1A 308 Win. I need to scope it and get it out. A tidy little rifle it seems.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If I had only one itd be a .243 or .22-250 in a B model.
To me thats a classic varminter.

My dads old B is well worn and Id like a nicer one.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hard to pick I have a 22-250,243,270,30-06,& 7mm mag . I love them all strong beautiful gun!!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Actually saw a couple this weekend.
A plain .223 B w black pad and a 50th anniv .308
Dunno what either is worth nowadays.

One guy had a #3 w funky sling swivel install and wanted over a grand.......45-70.
Hes had that one for sale for a long time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Doc

I love mine, not a big fan of the 25 06, but love the way it carries. It is the most accurate #1 I've ever had, and I've had a few. I have a #1B 30 06 that is damn accurate. I had barrel cut to 22" It will be sub 3/4' or better, but the #1 AH is better with 120 grain Sierra BT, I'm talking ragged hole stuff.

Last edited by Switch; 10/07/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would keep the Swift

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I also would settle for a Ruger # 1 RSI in 7 X 57. There was one such beauty in my favorite pawn shop way back yonder. Owner wouldn’t take a Remington 742 Carbine in .308 as a trade in. Should’ve been born rich instead of so handsome. Always lusted for one. I’ve owned a bunch of lightweight short barreled stalking rifles. Still have a Ruger 77 tanger RSI in .308 and a 1984 push feed Winchester M 70 Carbine in 30/06.
We lived on one income all our 42 years of marriage. It was important for our kids to have a stay at home mom. My wife not only raised our 3 sons, but their friends as well. We didn’t have extras but were comfortable and lived within our means. Son did have a CZ 550 in 7 X 57 which he handloaded for. Great old round that kills better than it should. Wisdom comes with age; hopefully. Lot of guns and cars wish I had back.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Have had several No 1’s but my absolute favorite has to be the RSI .270 Winchester.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I gave my 11 year old grandson a 99% like new 257 Roberts 1-B Ruger #1 this year 2023 and he is very proud of his only deer rifle ,grandson does shoot this rifle very well too and he will be with me in my deer stand opening mourning , his dad will be another stand up there too. have a great hunting season ,Pete53

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a few but if only keeping one then its my 270 Wby Mag

Last edited by Jim2914; 10/07/23.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Well I'm on the hunt for a purple fuzzy Jones cap.

To go along w my 50th anniv pimped .308 Ruger #1.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Mine would be a No. 1 AH in 25-06

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I like my #1 A Red Pad 7x57 long throat shoots well!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 1,791 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.