Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That (the first pic) looks like the ones I catch in tournaments!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I fish Roosevelt Lake in Az exclusively when it comes to bass fishing. I have gone there four times and intend to return every week until it slows down in late June. It is finally beginning to liven up. It is post spawn and the fish will attack a popper early and late. The surface water temps are 66 for the low and 72 for the highs as of last week.

The lake is undergoing a bloom. It hit its full potential this spring at 99% full since the dam was built higher around 15 years ago. We had our first real fill three years ago at 96% full. The spawn from three years ago have the lake full of 2-3 lb fish.

I caught a 26" female last monday at dawn, my largest since I began fishing that lake over 25 yrs ago.

[Linked Image]

I keep a tally book on the conditions, number caught etc. So far this year it has been slow due to all the cold fronts. Caught 140 bass both smallmouth and largemouth in four outings. Should be good fishing till the water temps ( and air temps) make it unpleasant for all concerned for day fishing.

Good fishing this spring and summer!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Nice one! Nothing like a "new" lake. Since they added to your dam I assume it's kinda the same. Lots of hew structure, etc. I guess Roosevelt is pretty deep? Even though our lakes are big, they are mostly shallow (relatively). Assuming they are deep, how do you catch suspended fish?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Today, May 10, 2008, Minnesota Gamefish Fishing Opener.
35 degrees, overcast, rain ... and "SNOW".

No way I was going to hassle with a cold wet boat, this morning, but I have long found lots of good (secret) spots
to cast from shore around the area lakes.

So, this morning on about the third cast I caught a nice 4 pound Largemouth Bass on a small lake and promptly released it-
as the Minnesota "Season" for largemouth and smallmouth bass doesn't begin until May 24th. (I would'a released it anyways.)

That was my only "catch" today, but whilst away from the warm vehicle I could only stand to make about a half-dozen casts
before retreating. The lure I chose was a long dark translucent green Smithwick minnow-like floater. (One of my "cheaper" lures.)

What used to be some great Northern Pike/Walleye small-lakes around this area have, (probably because of emerging vegetation),
become Northern Pike/Bass lakes in the last couple of decades.

The "Walleye" is still "KingFish" in Minnesota, but I like fishing the big Northerns, and Bass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
itppowell,

Roosevelt's maximum depth is 349 feet. It is 25 miles long and has two "arms" formed by the Tonto Creek at one end and the Salt River at the other. The dam is in the middle. They raised the dam 70 ft but only 50 ft is for normal spring runoff. It sure changed the lake with water getting 49 feet higher than it has been since 1911 when the original masonry dam was built. Islands went underwater as did many cactus including the magnificent saguaros. New islands formed that were peninsulas and a ton of trees and bushes are underwater. I have joked for years that once the water comes up there will be skiers injured when they jump in and land on a cholla or other large cactus.

I must admit the brush along the shore is a bit of a pain as long casts parallel to shore are not feasable anymore. Pin point accuracy through the small cuts are the only opportunity to get near shore. I found a few lures that are snagproof and floaters like poppers help too. Braided superlines like fireline are all I use now. Heck I had to add a front depth finder to the boat as I no longer knew the lake.

As for suspended fish..there are plenty along the shorelines so I don't bother. One could throw jigs over underwater humps. I have used my downriggers a few times in the fall. I would use a rattle trap or a J-plug and hammer them. We would troll at 40-60 ft down. It isn't the same as you don't feel the stike but you do catch fish. I get some strange stares as no one uses downriggers around here.

It is a wonderful thing to have this "new" lake. It is supposed to bloom for many years ahead. It coincided with my retirement from teaching. I am still in my 50s and try to get up there for the entire spring season on weekdays.

Thanks for asking about it.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
No problem! Enjoy it while it lasts! Mt primary bass holes are Sam Rayburn and Toledo Bend resovoirs. They are big, old lakes, filled in the sixties. At first they were full of thick timber and the fishing was awesome. Now very little "hard" structure exists, other than the occasional cypress or cedar tree. Various vegetation grows though, to the surface in a lot of places. The deepest point on either lake is only around 110 feet (river channels) and the majority is much shallower. The only "bank" fishing we get is during the spawn, so we make the best of it while we can. Toledo, at 181,600 acres of relatively shallow, weedy water they can be pretty evasive! Rayburn is about two thirds that size. I agree with the braided line also, and only have one reel loaded with mono these days. It's for those chunk and reel lures in open water. My secret (hah) weapon is a light spinning outfit loaded with 10lb braid (about 2 pound diameter) with flourocarbon leader. It'll chuck a 5", (unweighted) Senko fifty yards! It cuts through weeds better than mono too. Thanks for the reports! I have a tourneyment Tuesday and will do the same. (If I can place in the top ten, I'll be happy, 'cause it is a "progessive" tournament, where the over all yearly results (10 tournaments) get the "big" prize. (Mostly bragging rights) smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ltppowell,

I have a question for you. I may not see it for a few days depending on when you anwser.

I saw in fisherman today and you mentioned the same thing...using florocarbon leader. The guy was fishing smallies with the X-rap Rapala. Is is for ultra clear conditions? I know florocarbons are super fine and strong. I have to know why tie on a leader and have the knot possibly hitting the guides or having that extra knot come untied. Also what knot do you use to connect fireline to floro?

I used to worry about the line being seen. I have used crystal and the older black/brown fireline with no issues I can discern. Of course our waters are not crystal clear. Best visibility I have ever seen at Roosevelt was 6 ft.

Those "shallow" lakes sound scary.. are dangerous reefs etc well marked?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image] Reefs? We don't even have a pebble! The only obsticles we nave are tree stumps, and no they're not marked! There are to many, and fluctuating water levels make them impossimble to mark. Just picture a submerged forest, with the trees broken off at water level by hurricanes.
Flourocarbon is actually not fine or strong, but it is almost invisible. Our water is pretty clear, because of the vegetation, and is fished HARD. The flourocarbon helps. A surgeons knot is probably the most commonly used knot to tie leader material to main line, It (and others) will pass through the eyes easily. It really helps! Here's a typical picture of Toledo bend when the water is low. Not a very popular lake with water skiers! I bet your place is lot better to look at.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the knot..wasn't sure it would work. How about the blood knot?

Stumps huh? Great for fishing bad for lower units. Unless it floods we have very little structure in the water. Underwater humps, reefs and long points are about it.

You are right we do have a better looking lake. This was taken in early April. A tad windy but spring flowers were in full bloom.

[Linked Image]

A few more:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is probably enough. Apache Lake, the next one in the chain of lakes along the Salt River is even prettier than Roosevelt.

Have a great fishing season!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
San Carlos

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thats pretty too! I just got back from Rayburn. What a great day to bass fish yesterday! We pre-fished Tuesday, and didn't find a fish until dusk! As a last resort. I checked a small island, out in the middle of the lake, where the first two cast caught a 3 and 4 pound fish. We caught one wore dink, then left them for Wed morning. The wind was from a different direction, so dawn found us a the other side of the island, that slopes off gently and is surrounded by hydrilla. Small fish were eating shad in about 1.5 feet of water, and we had our 5 fish limit of "keepers" in about an hour and a half. We landed about twenty fish, but none bigger than three pounds. I lost four fish that we SAW bigger than that, including one right at boatside which was the biggest bass I've every seen in the wild! I hooked it on a watermelon/red/black senko in about 6 feet of water. over the weeds, and I knew it was a big fish as soon as I set the hook. It ran sideways about 15 yards, then turned and took about twenty feet of drag. He turned and ran past the boat, then jumped about 10 feet from the boat with that classic head shake, throwing the worm. (Yes I had my rod tip down.) I hesitate to guess the weight, but it looked a yard long! Same tackle, hook, line and sinker that I always use. I don't think I've lost a single fish this year until yesterday. Oh well, it was a great day on the water and we still came in 5th. We were lucky. But the fish were just luckier.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ItPowell,

Wow that had to be great to at least see the monster at the end of your line. We can bet you will visit that area a few times in the future!

I just got back from Roosevelt, took my friend Don. Yesterday morning, our last session before coming back, he made his first cast of the day and got this one. Had a great time, coolish weather due to a front but it didn't stop the fish from biting.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice one, Az.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty one! Don't you almost hate it when you get a nice one on the first cast? Seems like it's always down hill from there. Unfortunately your'e right about visiting that place again! My partner is the worlds worst about wanting to fish in the place we caught 'em before! It will be forty degrees and snowing, and he'll cry until I take him to this spot 'cause we caught 'em there in May! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do have my spots but they are water temp oriented. I am now concentrating on major points, underwater islands and shorelines that are part of the main lake. The deeper the adjoining water the better. I still await the full blown popper bite, my fav.

I leave again this Sunday. They leave and I show up. Can't beat it! Surface water is slowly climbing higher currently 66-74. All too soon the easy season will be over. They are projecting some mid 90s weather next week for the Lake.

Show us the latest when you catch more. Good fishing!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
'Luck!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In Missouri, Stockton and Table Rock are 15' high. Bull Shoals is 30' high. Norfork is 38' high. I haven't tried the bass fishing.

George

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ouch!!!! The boat ramps have to be under water.

Doc

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well just got back from another weekend on T-Bend. We SPANKED them Friday, using watermelon red Zoom Horney Toads in the water lilies. Saturday was much slower, but still caught some nice fish. Same today. It is just plain fun to see a bass come out of the water to get a frog on top of a big lily!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
632 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 71 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,357
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.