Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well I got one.

2.5-10x45
XT reticle
[Linked Image]
thoughts:
optics- solid, crisp, bright, easy on the eyes...Great eyebox and eye relief. COmpared in lowlight to conquest 3-9x40 with z-plex reticle. A tad brighter and the XT reticle is bolder than the z-plex... Leupold wins here and i know it should, it costs more... With the reticle and optics, this scope could be used in any situation a premium euro with @ #4 could be used in IMO...

COnstruction: appears very well put together. I like the adjustment caps popping up. The alumina flip up covers are a nice touch

Appearance: great looking scope. Leupold and swarovski make the best looking scopes IMO

I have owned lots of expensive european and american optics and feel like this product is a solid, probably very dependable product. FOr the price i got it at, i feel like it is a better deal than spending 300-500$ more for a 1st focal plane euro scope with less eye relief.

THe XT reticle is a winner, the best duplex type reticle made today IMO and i used to give this title to the z-plex from zeiss

THe reticle is made by electroform according to leupold...not quite wire and not etched

-the weight is a slight negative compared to the 2.5-10x42 from zeiss and swaro it weighs more. it even weighs more than the z6 2-12x50
-it weighs less than the 3-12x42 S&B klassik...
-It also costs (MAP) less than all of those.

Overall it is very bright, great color and contrast and great at managing stray light..

I think it deserves its place in the $1000 plus price class (as much as any of the others do, lets be honest here the differences between this leveal and the vx-III/conquest level are not drastic)

I also think the care package that comes with this scope is a plus and should be standard with all scopes in this class...

i wish leupold would offer the XT reticle on the VX-III series but they said they are not planning on it at this time.

TIme will tell if i am wrong but I would give it a BIG thumbs up at this point!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SAKO75; 05/16/08.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Cool, thanks for the thoughts. I also wish Leupold would offer the new reticle in VXIII's that would make sense. Good luck with your new purchase.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have looked through one side-by-side with a bunch of Euro's and was very impressed.

Gdv

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SAKO75,
Nice to see loopie stepping up.Thanks for the review.Have a question.?
"The reticle is made by electroform according to Leupold...not quite wire and not etched"
Any idea what that means?How it works?
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dave7mm
SAKO75,
Nice to see loopie stepping up.Thanks for the review.Have a question.?
"The reticle is made by electroform according to Leupold...not quite wire and not etched"
Any idea what that means?How it works?
dave

dave -- this is their exact response

"The VX 7 retcles are made by a process called electroform. This
material is not glass. It's more like wire, however the reticle is shaped with
a laser."

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a foil reticule??

Just one question about the scope covers...If you just flip them up, are they noisy? Does the aluminum cover clatter agains the scope for instance?

Regards,

Pete

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SAKO75,
If you get the chance see if you can get that reticle to turn pink on you.Now that I would be interested to know.
dave

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Great looking scope, Thanks for your thoughts............547.

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pete E

Just one question about the scope covers...If you just flip them up, are they noisy? Does the aluminum cover clatter agains the scope for instance?

Regards,

Pete
Not noisy and they dont touch the scope tube

― George Orwell, 1984
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
SAKO75,
If you get the chance see if you can get that reticle to turn pink on you.Now that I would be interested to know.
dave
Dave- yes i can make it happen... I was hoping the reticle would be etched glass but it isnt. FWIW, swarovski doesnt use etched glass in most of their scopes these days either...

― George Orwell, 1984
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Dave- yes i can make it happen... I was hoping the reticle would be etched glass but it isnt. FWIW, swarovski doesnt use etched glass in most of their scopes these days either...

Thats to bad.I was hopeing for better.In reality, that means all they did was rename,what they had.Pretty commen for them.
For a wire reticle I've never seen a Swaro turn into a glowing golden rod.Still.Good to see loopie try to compeat anyway.
dave

[Linked Image]

SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Thats to bad.I was hoping for better.In reality, that means all they did was rename,what they had.Pretty commen for them.
For a wire reticle I've never seen a Swaro turn into a glowing golden rod.Still.Good to see loopie try to compeat anyway.
dave
i have seen the swaro do it. I will say the XT reticle design makes up for the bronze tint under certain conditions. Lastly, they didnt rename the LPS, its different length, different FOV, different everything according to Leupold. You can call swarovski, they will tell you what reticle are etched and which are wire. In 1st focal plane scopes, it is harder to see the bronze as the light cant get to it in the same way it hits a 2nd plane reticle. Try it out on a 1" swaro or the new Z6.
Schmidt & Bender uses wire reticles in some scopes as well. The fixed 6x42 for instance uses foil (wire) type reticle. I used to have an email from S&B in Germany confirming this..

I implore you to take a look at a VX-7 before you judge one

Last edited by SAKO75; 05/18/08.

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SAKO75
I implore you to take a look at a VX-7 before you judge one

+1.
A quite rational and reasoning suggestion based on the assumption you're dealing with a rational and reasoning individual. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SAKO75,
Just so I know,that is a second focal plane reticle?Yes.
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pete E

Regards,

Pete

I have the Alumina's on a 2.5x8...

No, they don't clatter. There's a little "fwoop" as the o-rings break their seal, maybe a tiny click, that's about it. They are nice!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
SAKO75 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
SAKO75,
Just so I know,that is a second focal plane reticle?Yes.
dave

yes

― George Orwell, 1984
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I picked up its bigger brother in the 3.5-14x50. Early indicators are very positive just coming a bit short of the some the finer Euro's I own.

Definitely a good product as reviewed here

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
My VMV or PM2 ret.also has a golden tint in certain light. My VX7 3.5x14 has an etched mil-dot. can't say for the others but they claim etched on them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So is it worth an extra $1000 over the Conquest? Thanks for the review by the way.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OR the VXIII? grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
102 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 10 invisible), 1,360 guests, and 695 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.