Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for doing the test; good stuff.

Any chance, if you do this again, you could throw the 130 TSX or TTSX into the mix?

BP-B6

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Not sure I'd read that as a TTSX "win"...more penetration just means more wasted energy in most cases. The E-tip retained 99% weight, that'll mean great bullet performance almost every time.

The higher BCs for E-tips means more retained energy at range as well.

Nice to have so many great bullet choices these days!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I will gladly trade a bit of penetration beyond an animal for faster kills/bigger wounds.
Course I might just use a BT......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Sam,

If'n I had to kill some feral phone books, I'd do the test with my 30 cal Contender pistol. I used to do expansion tests with the pistol alot. I only get ~ 2250 with 150's in that pistol. Simulates 4-500 yards velocities very well.

If you're interested and have a few spare bullets, I could see if the local phone book population needs controlled.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like a plan bud.
That was the last TTSX I had, but I have some extra BT's and ET's.

PM me your address and we'll make a plan of attack.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good Info & thanks for posting.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You're welcome.

The E-Tip would probably work well on a deer that you were mad at.

TTSX maybe more for the elk?

Of course all three would probably work fine most of the time for anything.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Those books are too heavy for me to lug out 200 yards away.
How much does the rifle weight? wink

Neat test. Thanks for sharing it!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
A little ETIP Info for the Barnes fan club! grin
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have used them from the .300 WSM and .300 Winchester on African plains game and elk, at ranges from up close to 400 yards. They should work very well on either elk or moose. Out of 10 or so animals killed, two bullets have been recovered, both on angling shots through the shoulder and into the chest on blue wildebeest and a big bull elk. Both bulets were recovered at the rear of the rib cage under skin, retaining 100% of their weight.

Another well known fact!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It is well-known among TSX cultists that any animal isn't dead unless the bullet goes through the animal, a pine tree and a game warden, all without losing a grain of weight. In fact, the only way we know how much weight they retain is by digging them out of dead game wardens.

And yes, I do shoot TSX's, among others.

JB

JW,Instead of being a Nosler basher,why not give the Etips a chance this fall,you seem to like testing bullets on game at long range!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool test, Sam.

I need to try and run something similar with the 308.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
shade tree must be a right big place. our phone books look like a weekend flyer smile

thanks for burning your time on this planet doing things so we dont have too. hope to return the favor...

nice work indeed!!

thanks

woofer

Last edited by woofer; 05/26/08.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickyD
Those books are too heavy for me to lug out 200 yards away.
How much does the rifle weight? wink

About 40lbs. less than the books....grin

The gas station down the street always has a big stack of them out front. The other morning I made a raid, I'm sure the few people that saw me packing them to the truck were thinking.........What the hell?

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/26/08.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting to me that the BT and the ET penetrated pretty much about the same even though the ET retained a lot mo weight...

Dober

And, by the way Sam I do have a 308 you could use if you wish

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Sounds like the resident Bullet tester has another rifle to test Etips with! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shot the 150 ET's out of the fat lil bugger, and for groups they work very well, if Sammy wants to run it and notch a few more phone book tags tis fine with me.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the offer Mark!

Actually Bwinter's is gonna test a few down around 2200fps. I've got the bullets sittin' here in an envelope waiting to go to the post office.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I found the ET and BT had stopped at the same distance. Pretty odd considering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know I find it interesting as well, especially when you take into account of how much each one retained....!

Keep up the good work!

Doober

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A hole through the vitails kills, nope penetration is never a bad thing

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's what I'm trying to sort out...

I keep thinking about the 2500 lb. bison in that article, knocked DRT by a .257 caliber, 100 gr. TSX blazing out of the barrel at 4100 ft/sec., through both shoulders and off into the countryside.

To me, this is just freakin' amazing, and kinda belies just about everything I'd come to understand about bullet weight and size.

Question is, is there some point or threshold at which the physics involving speed in and of itself (assuming bullet construction that holds together, which Barnes obviously do) takes on or affects an entirely different dynamic?

Taken to the extreme in order to illustrate my point, "rail" guns being advanced for military purposes shoot a simple bolt, about 18" long, made of titanium I believe, at hyper speeds. When they hit a tank, they blow the damn thing to rat unowhat.

I'm reading in recent articles that the damage done by these relatively fast bullets is, in a word, devastating, whether on big game or in test medias.

Fascinating subject that has me wondering if we're seeing the evolution of bullets and hunting firearms to yet another level up until now somewhat inconceivable.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
602 members (2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.