Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Work in progress.

Montana Rifleman 1:9 twis bbl, 22 inches fluted. The wood is nice looking but will get replaced with a McMillan classic Edge some whenever McM catches up. RifleBasix trigger en route, along with Zeiss conquest 3-9x with target turrets. Looking forward to seeing how it groups.

[Linked Image]

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Did you send your action to MRC for fitting? What was the turn around time like? Does McMillan have an inlet for the 527 action or are you waiting for them to program one?

Fine looking rifle in a great (underappreciated, though) caliber.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
cool!! wanted one forever but everyone here keeps giving me good deals on other projects smile

i think oregon is as excited about the build as you are .....

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I send email to McMillan, as i have seen several of their stocks on CZ-527. I'll report back.

I took this project over from another person. I'll ask about the wait time for the barrel.

Finding brass has proved interesting. I ordered 100 pieces from Midway, and the only thing they had in stock is Lapua. $91/100.

I still need to find some low rings and mod the bolt handle to allow lower scope mounting. The original carbine stock was obviously designed with iron sights in mind, and there is a bit too much drop.

Someone is missing the boat, not offering a composite stock for this rifle. Yes, HS precision has one, but it is really set up for the varmint variant. The need something slimmer and without those horrible palm swells.

I missed the UPS man Friday, but the scope arrived - a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x with external target knobs. If all goes well, I should have a range report by next weekend.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
..That rifle's wood looks mighty nice! I've always thought the 6.5 Grendel was a super fit for little CZ mini-Mauser. Please stay hooked up with reports on this project! I've got a CZ527 carbine in 7.62X39 which is lightweight (5.75 lbs) and is a fine deer killer at modest ranges out to 125-150yds. I've mulled over the Grendel conversion myself, but lack of a super lightweight kevlar type stock has kept me from moving on it..

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by woofer
cool!! wanted one forever but everyone here keeps giving me good deals on other projects smile

i think oregon is as excited about the build as you are .....

woofer

I am! I am!

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll report back on the McMillan stock, although I am betting the price will make it a painful addition if anyone is thinking in terms of a not too expensive conversion.

As noted, the carbine stock really has too much drop to get a decent cheekweld. I modded the bolt to allow lower scope mounting, and have Burris medium CZ rings on it right now. Even with the lower mount, the cheek weld is less than ideal, but I picked up a Bob Allen cheek pad with pouch for $10 at Sportsmens warehouse and that has fixed the problem for now.

It looks like there might be a problem with the big eyepiece of the Zeiss interfering with the bolt, but I won't know for sure until Monday.

I should have a range report next week, as I am waiting on ammo to be delivered.

So far I am impressed enough with this rifle to already be contemplating a super compact for my son. It will probably be 16.5 or 18 inch barrel with a lighter profile, in 6.5 or possibly 6.8.

If CZ-would make this rifle in either of those calibers (plus 7.62x39) with a light composite stock and a light, carbine barrel, we could have a factory mountain carbine that would run around 6 pounds with scope and loaded.

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My Zeiss 3-9x arrived back from service, now with target knobs. After modding the CZ bolt handle, is drops right on, although the scope had to me mounted fairly forward for good eye relief. Just waiting on the RifleBasix trigger and ammo. No word yet from McMillan on a stock.

The factory stock has too much drop for use with a scope. I may have to look for an 'American' stock and open it up for the 7.62 action. Scope looks weird sitting so far forward. I may install an extended rail.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I just got off the phone with McMillan and they do not inlet a stock for the 527; though if you ordered a flat-top there might be gunsmiths who could inlet it for you...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool.

I have considered doing same using a FS version of the 527. I note that this similar project was done by the poorly named mag. RIFLE SHOOTER, but in 6.8spc.

I think that the grendel is an even better idea. Possible good idea for the 2011 calendar year, asi have projects to keep me busy until then

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
IC B3

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Either 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC will require a 7.62x39 carbine if you want to be able to use the magazine. 6.8 won't fit into a 223 mag. For the 6.8 conversion it works best if you get a 223 bolt and extractor for a 7.62x39 carbine and open it up to 0.422

I built a 6.8 with a 16.5 inch bbl. Neat little rifle, but the 6.5 conversion is easier.

HS precision makes the varmint stock for the CZ Kevlar, but it will require modding for the 7.62x39 bottom metal. HS doesn't offer any other stock with 527 inletting.

I am waiting to hear back from Bell and Carlson about a possible stock from them. Barring that, it looks like I'll have to find someone to inlet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too bad McMillan doesn't make a stock for the 527. One of the reasons I didn't order one in .223rem. I like my CZ 452 and McMillan only offers one stock for it. IMHO, CZ deserves some aftermarket attention.

Tod Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Range report:

I finally got to shoot the CZ one the 100 yard range. I started with some factory 120gn BT from Alexander arms. I was very disappointed with 1.5 inch groups. I took three handloads with me for a first time accuracy test: 120gn SMK over 31.5gn BL-C(2), 120gn SMK over 28.5 Ramshot Tac and 85gn SGK HP over 31.8 Ramshot exterminator. The last was thrown in as a possible varmint loads after I found new loading data for the 6.5 on Ramshot's web site.

BL-C(2) was about as bad as the factory ammo from Alexander. I have pounds and pounds of the stuff, so was hoping it would perform well but no such luck. Typical group.

[Linked Image]

Several Grendel shooters recommended Ramshot TAC, and they were right. This powder shows much better promise:

[Linked Image]

Even the 85gn SGK HP seemed to like Ramshot powder:

[Linked Image]

Next step is to pillar bed the rifle, and experiment with TAC and Xterminator at differing charges. 1/2 MOA looks very doable.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you care to try heavy bullets may I recommend a plain Jane 129grain flat base spitster over Leverevolution. A few folks over on the 6.5 Grendel Form turned me on to this load. The Ke achievable with this combination is impressive out of the diminutive cartridge and action IMHO.

I have two rifles on the order of the Gem you have put together there. One a bit of a custom with the 1 in 9 twist 24in SS LW barrel and another factory 24" with the 1 in 8 twist. both I am very fond of each of these rifles. I Have been quite pleased with 100 gr barnes TTSX for deer as well as the Much heavier 129 grain Spitster.

Wish you well.

& yes Tac is another fine powder in the Grendel.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 10/05/19.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn! An 11 year old Grendel thread!

Wish I could see the pics of the build?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (7887mm08, Akhutr, Algotguns, Bama_Sleeper, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 11 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,234
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.