Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Early this year I had an email exchange with Darren Hull, an employee of Blaser who was kind enough to respond to my questions regarding safety issues in the Blaser R93, as reported on the internet. Here's the exchange.

I am researching the possibility of purchasing a Blaser R93 rifle in the USA and I have some questions, please.

During my research I came across the following statements:

"All the 93 & their Tac versions use the locking splines , thats all thats holding the bolt in place , from what I understand , most (action failures) have been caused by pierced primers , and the gas venting back and melting the plastic washer that actually cams the fingers/splines into battery . Also heard that the 338LM model uses a metal instead of the std plastic washer..."
(Link: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ub...r&topic=0&Search=true#Post387668 )

1. Do you indeed have to close the R93 action with authority to ensure it locks up? There are times I want to do it quietly.

2. Can the R93 fire when not completely locked up?

3. Is there a plastic washer that can melt and cause problems with a pierced
primer/gas venting?

Thank you for your attention,

==============================================================
Answer: ---- Darren Hull <darren.hullblaser.de wrote:

Thank you for your email.
There certainly is some rubbish written in the internet. Please note that in all of these claimed accidents there are never any facts on these, other than "heard through a friend."

In answer to your questions:

1, You can close the bolt assembly relatively quietly but you do need to ensure that the bolt handle is firmly closed (90 degrees).

2, No. What happens is that: when fired, the firing pin/block first hits the opening lever and first pushes it closed, only then can the firing pin continue through. If the rifle is fired with the bolt assembly not fully closed, there will be a click (bolt assembly closing) and there may be a light indentation on the primer (tell tale sign that the handle was not closed). You can simulate this by dry-firing your rifle with the bolt assembly not fully closed.
The firing pin cannot contact the primer without first closing the handle.

3, There are no plastic/rubber parts on the locking elements.

Fact: Each barrel and bolt head is tested with a minimum of 30% overloaded proof cartridges - this is required by German law.

DEVA have tested our system and proved it to hold pressures of over 8000 bar. (Jaywalker note: 8000 bar = 116,030.19 ppsi, per Google)

We have now sold over 160 000 R93 rifles (including LRS2) - there is not a problem with the design or safety of these rifles.

Should you have any further questions, please let me know

===============================================================
Question �
Mr. Hull,

Thank you for your prompt response. I will post it where it will help create greater understanding.

If I may followup on one of your answers:
"...there will be a click (bolt assembly closing) and there may be a light indentation on the primer (tell tale sign that the handle was not closed). You can simulate this by drying firing your rifle with the bolt assembly not fully closed. The firing pin cannot contact the primer without first closing the handle."

This light indentation on the primer raises a question. Is this indentation from the firing pin, or from something else? I would doubt that US primer manufacturers meet the same level of standards as those in Europe. Here, my CCI primers ignite readily from the relatively heavy impact of my Model 70, but not always from lighter impact of a Remington rifle. For them, I use Federal primers. When reloading for an R93, should I take care to use "harder to ignite" components?

==============================================================

Thank you for your email.
I am very pleased to hear you are considering purchasing an R93. You will not be disappointed!

The light indentation is from the firing pin.
If the bolt assembly is not correctly closed - 2 things can happen

1, The energy from the firing pin/block is only enough to close the bolt assembly but didn�t have enough energy to ignite the primer (leaves light indentation)& results in a misfire.
2, The gun fires. (as normal) What has happened here is that the bolt assembly was first closed by the firing pin/block but then also had enough energy to ignite the primer.

The firing pin cannot touch the primer until the bolt handle is first in closed position.

You definitely do not need to use different primers from those that you normally use.

Should you have any further questions, please let me know

Best Regards
=====================================================

Question -
Mr. Hull,

Thank you. Do I understand you correctly to say that the firing pin fall closes the action completely if it were not already in battery? If so, that's an excellent design concept!

Completely correct. Please allow me to attach an image where you can see the position of the R93 lock-up when the firing-pin is level with the breech of the bolt-head. The lock-up is realized 100%.

Best Regards

Darren Hull

International Service
Blaser Jagdwaffen GmbH
Ziegelstadel 1
88316 Isny im Allg�u
Germany

Phone: 0049 (0)7562 702 159
Fax: 0049 (0)7562 702 148
e-mail: [email protected]

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
At last, real facts instead of "I heard" stuff. Thanks for sharing. I used a Blaser R93 last January while hunting in Germany. They are very popular there. My impression of the German hunters that I met is that they have very high standards for the equipment that they use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Having an R93 with three barrels now for about 4 years, I can attest to their handiness, accuracy, and flexible design. I can also tell you that exactly as the employee explained the bolt must be fully closed to fire and that requires a slight but significant force that is tactile (you learn the double-click "feel" of it).

Several years ago the were rumors on the 'net of blow-ups in Europe and I spent considerable time tracking "these" down even contacting Blaser and finally getting a letter from them. There was in fact one with serious injury to the shooter and and an independant agency determined that it was a faulty handload and IIRC somewhere in the vicinity of over 120k lbs of pressure as determined by forensic study of the metal bits. Even then some parts of the rifle were not damaged beyond reuse. I still have that letter somewhere and if I can find it I'll put it up here somewhere.

I haven't talked to a R93 owner who isn't pleased with their rifle although I'm quite sure there may be some as there is with any type. My R93 and two of its three barrels (a fourth, a 6.5x55, was also a one-hole shooter with one load) are the two most accurate I've ever had of any rifle of any make or caliber and one of those is a .375 H&H.

Gdv

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/Georgedevries/IMGP0955.jpg[/img][/img]

This is a typical group with the 375 and the load with the 270-gr TSX bullet, the one I took to Namibia this past year.

M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have just recently got an R93. So far I have only had it on the range, using a 308 and 9.3x62mm barrels. Its a great unit - very accurate and I can see it replacing most of my mainstream rifles.

But I will hunt with it a few times before that happens......

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Here's how my R93's shoot (5 shots at 100 m) :
[Linked Image]
.222 Rem
[Linked Image]
.300 Win Mag
[Linked Image]
9,3x62

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R93 is a very light rifle, Offroad in magnum caliber is supposed to weigh about 6,8 pounds and I ask myself how to manage the kick of a 375 HH with such a light gun ???? I usually shot 375 rounds and find recoil is quite manageable, but I use a 10 pounds +(scoped) rifle.

Va t'in tch�re !
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Here's the image of the R93 action referenced in the exchange:

[Linked Image]

Arguments regarding the appearance of the wood-stocked R93 I do find relevant... Make mine the "Professional" model, with the more traditional (to my eyes) appearance of the stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, Jaywalker, well done on the research. I have the Prestige model (receiver in a matte grey arabesque engraving and walnut stock) and the Professional model stock for my R93 with its three scoped barrels. I like both stocks very much but the Professional is certainly the all-weather, rough and tough option for NA or elsewhere. I also have the Safari forend to go with the Safari .375 barrel (heavier barrel with very good open sights) and am happy with all.

Should you decide to take the plunge I believe you'll be pleased.

Gdv

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
grand_veneur,

I'll have to leave to others the question of 375 H&H recoil in that light package, as my choice will be something between the 6.5x55 and the .308 Winchester. I understand, however, that the 375 barrels are significantly heavier and maybe the rest of the stock is, too.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My 375 is 8.5 lbs ready to go and while recoil is noticeable it certainly isn't severe. I don't know about 6,8 lbs though; I presume that's not scoped and so adding Blasers ring/base set which is quite heavy and your choice of Euro- scope easily adds over a lb depending on your choice. So now you're at 7,8 or closer to 8 lbs which isn't bad.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have owned several Blasers in Prestige, Offroad, and Professional models and in calibers from 243 to 375 H&H. I have has 375 H&H barrels in both Safari and Tracker contours. I am not a fan of recoil, but with a kickstop in the stock, the recoil was very manageable.

As far as Blaser accuracy, I have never had a barrel in any caliber that wouldn't shoot an inch or under at 100 yards. My favorite caliber is 9.3x62, and my two barrels will both literally shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards with my handloads.

Maybe with this letter from Hull at Blaser, the Blaser blowup crap on the internet can be put to rest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jaywalker and others-

Pursuant to obtaining an R93 and then hearing rumors of "blow-ups" on the 'net, I contacted Blaser in 2005 and received both personal letter from the home office and a copy of a press release from Blaser that was made available to the media and the public in general.

Here is the letter I received: (I didn't know how to scan it and send it here so just rewrote it for the benefit of all who are interested.)

Dear Sir,

As you are aware of, on January 10, 2004, at a shooting range near Koblenz, Germany, a Blaser R93 was damaged and in that accident the shooter was injured.

Unfortunately this issue has been taken and exaggerated from various people in order to discredit the R93 in an un-objective and dubious way.

On January 22, 2004, the CEO and Technical Directors of Blaser Jagdwaffen GmbH were able to look at the rifle in question, with three police officials with the permission of the public prosecutors office Koblenz.

The steel showed deformation in the lockup area as well as two definite cracks beginning at the rear end of the chamber. Powderized brass was found in the lock-up area. There was deformation on the bolt head as well as deformation on the bolt head elements. The cam plate, which supports the assembly in locked position, and the right rail were broken away from position while the assembly was in a closed and locked position.

In a series of tests through DEVA (Deutsche Versuchs- und prufanstalt fur Jagd- und Sportwaffen.V.) measurements of the gas pressure were increased to almost 8.000bar/116,000 psi, whereby under this pressure there was no measured deformation to the outer contour of the chamber area in the barrel. There were also no deformations to the bolt head.

Without wanting to anticipate the results from the public prosecutor and after examination we have concluded clearly the damage was caused through extreme overloaded gas pressure. With consideration to the above mentioned DEVA examination, it is our opinion that the cause of this accident is without doubt due to the ammunition and cannot be related to the rifle. (my note: the independant agency DEVA later confirmed this as their findings also).

At this point we would like to clearly state, that the technical design of the R93, with more than 100,000 rifles supplied (and now more than 160,000 as has been mentioned in a post above), has not been found responsible for any accident where the rifle has been damaged. Every single R93 is controlled and tested by the state/county proof-house according to the C.I.P. regulations using proof cartridges exceeding the maximal allowed gas pressure by a minimum of 30%. The R93, however, withstands loads/gas pressures way above proof-level as our in-house/combined DEVA-tests clearly documents.

In the test reports from DEVA it was confirmed that there is no reason to doubt or fear the R93s strength and durability. DEVA states, "In the case of destruction to a rifle with an (illegal) gas pressure of 8.000 bar or above, this eventually may result in injury to the shooter. This cannot be related to the rifle."

"There are no reasons for us to doubt the safety of the technical design of the R93."

Unfortunately, it happens in individual cases that the use of defective or incorrectly loaded ammunition results in damage to the rifle and/or shooter, no matter what brand or type of rifle is used. For example, in 2003 we were aware that in Austria alone, three cases of destroyed bolt-actions rifles occured due to incorrectly loaded ammunition with three different rifle manufacturers being involved.

Even through there are enormous numbers of R93s on the market there are extremely few cases occuring through inadmissable, well overloaded gas pressures where a rifle is damaged or destructed. For this there are appraisals from different institutes with clear statements: In none of these cases a weapon-lateral cause of the damage was determined.

The Blaser R93, through its extremely safe and practice-suited technical design is one of the most popular hunting rifles offered on todays market. The straight fact is that with the enormous numbers of the R93 in the field today it is extremely rare that a rifle is destructed through incorrectly loaded ammunition. This is argument enough for the R93.

Yours sincerely in good hunting,

Blaser Jagdwaffen GmbH
Bernhard Knobel

Perhaps we can put the safety of the R93 design to rest finally. Hearsay is that a Weatherby was just blown up in this past half year. With the tens of thousands of handloaders out there, any manufacturers action can be turned into a bomb with a double charge or so of a two-fast powder.

Gdv

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.