Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am considering purchasing an Interarms/Whitworth rifle for an upcoming safari. Probably in .375. These were built on a CZ Mauser action and assembled in the UK.

Thoughts and/or comments?

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I liked the several I have owned in the past. I recently sold this 375 to an African-bound hunter, and I wish now I hadn't. They are very good rifles for the money...this sold for $1,000.00, delivered.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great rifles. Had I walked into Great Northern Guns two days earlier a couple of years ago, I would have taken a Whitworth in .404 Jeffery to Mozambique instead of the CZ I ended up buying. But the Whitworth had a "SOLD" sign on it by the time I saw it mad.

I've owned a couple of them in lesser cartridges in the past, and my wife hunts with one in 7x57. I would much prefer a slick tuned Whitworth to almost anything new being sold today...the exception being the Ruger Hawkeye .375 African.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy it and enjoy it. Bring it with you to Africa and use it for its intended purpose i.e. the big boys.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yeah...what he said...lol

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The Whitworth is a straight Mod 98 action variation called the Mark 10, on a very decent rifle. They handle recoil very well and come only in .375 H&H. caliber.. The other calibers are mark 10's, without the island sights, Classic African design (English) stock. The Whitworth Express is the creme de creame of the Mark 10's IMO...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No argument on the quality, but they were also imported in .458 Win Mag. 1993 is the last year that Gun Digest shows the Whitworth rifles as available in the US, in both .375 and .458. I know they also brought in a few in .404 Jeffery -- I know of at least two. And they were both Whitworths -- not rebarreled.

The 1992 Gun Digest shows two Whitworth variants -- the "standard" Whitworth Express in a variety of chamberings, and the Safari in .375 H&H adn .458 WM.

Incidently, MSRP in 1993 was $900...

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Buy it! I have a 375HH in a mrk 10, not a whitworth. It has beentuned and restocked {accurate innovations}. It shoots 1/2 in groups,its been to Africa and is going back this year. Feeds and ejects flawlessly.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OK, now I am convinced.
Anyone got one collecting dust............ smile

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Had one in 375 and one in 458. They looked like twins. Sold them years ago. Very good rifles but Africa didn't happen.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish I would have bought the .458 I had the chance at a couple of years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildfowl
OK, now I am convinced.
Anyone got one collecting dust............ smile

Mine was for sale here for a month... It was my last one and was unfired, except by the factory. I don't know whether the purchaser would sell it, but I'll ask.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I've got several customs built on Whitworth actions from Brownells. Still have a 375 length and 308 length in the safe unbuilt. The built 375 I have just came back from Stuart and wears a Dakota 3 pos safety. It shot 1" groups with h4350 and 300gr Failsafes. Great guns. The custom 6.5x06 is a one holer as is the 257 improved my wife shoots. I used the Timney deluxe triggers and stocked them in the old Fajen Laminate classic stocks. The 35 Whelen Improved may go to africa next trip. It too shoots well.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I do have one that is gathering dust . Unlike most , I am sort of underwhelmed by this rifle in 375 . It is a decent gun , but I think the 375 cartridge would be better served by a longer action . The ring dimentions and spacing on mine are identical to a military M98 , which doen't leave alot of room for loading the long cartriges , they even resorted to a little mickey mouse groove at the top rear of the front ring to aid in loading room .

I will say it is extremely well balanced and pointable....probably the best I've seen in that repect in a bolt rifle . With a shorter cartridge like 458 , it would be a dandy .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Its the same basic action as the FN, used for many fine safari rifles and the excellent Brownings of the past. It is almost identical to the FN/Sako I have and covet in 375 Wby. Scope mounts are interchangible. I do agree that the action is better suited for the 458.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's was I use. My 375 H&H Whitworth African Express shoots MOA with factory fodder and sub-moa with my hand loads. Buy it, shoot it, never let it go.

Good Hunting,

Bob

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hard to find a better, more reliable 375 for the money than a Whitworth.IMO you CAN'T find a better 375 for the money.Every one friends and I have owned has been very accurate and dead-nuts reliable.

A buddy from NY took on an African lion at about 15-20 feet last year with one.It was pretty frantic.....Tabby is dead and my friend is intact.That's all I need to know about Whitworths.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Late to this post.............

I have an Interarms Whitworth in 375 that has been bead blasted. I thought it was a modified action because of the bullet groove in the front of the loading port - maybe it came from the factory that way.

Sounds like this might be a good rifle to re-stock and hang on to. At the moment it has some type of aborted Ramline hanging on it but it screams for a McMillan.

A. Whats this rifle worth?
B. Is this rifle/action acceptable for building a semi-custom?

I was actually thinking of selling it to buy an M70 SS Classic in 375. Good idea or bad?

I'd like to hear opinions of those traveling to Africa.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Mule Deer, I stand corrected, the Whitworths in .458 slipped my ole mind, not uncommon these days...I was not aware of the .404 in a Whitworth Express. I did own a beautiful original FN in .404 some years ago, but someone with more money than I had to have that lovely rifle...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think the .404's were ever catalogued, but I have actually held one in my hands grin. And misfired on getting one that was for sale in Montana a few years ago, by virtue of waiting a day too long to call.

I have trouble remembering what I did this morning, but I have no problem remembering those two rifles... whistle.

I like my CZ well enough, but it bears no comparing to the Whitworths. I won't likely miss a third chance.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 76 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.