Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am trying to find out if the rifle I just bought has any collector value before I begin working on it. I bought it sight unseen for a fair price thinking it was a newer 32 Special. When it arrived it was in the condition descibed (well used with no rust) but it was not D&T'd. Before I clean up the wood and bluing and replace the broken butt plate I want to ensure it isn't a collector's item. I also plan to drill it for a receiver sight. It also has two screws and a pin near the upper left side where I would expect a receiver sight to attach, any idea if this was factory and if so what sight was it for.

The SN is E320XX

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Last edited by Redleg172; 04/09/08.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
" I also plan to drill it for a receiver sight. It also has two screws and a pin near the upper left side where I would expect a receiver sight to attach, any idea if this was factory and if so what sight was it for. "

The two holes are for a receiver sight. Williams still makes one or two that will fit, and you can find Lyman if that is your flavor. You will most likely have to install a taller front sight also.
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/FPpage.htm

Look for #s 1274 & 1276

Look here for DOM. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_336

Last edited by like2shoot; 04/10/08. Reason: added links

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the info, I am going to start work this weekend to clean it up and get it shooting again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This http://skinnersights.com/ is another option for the front and rear sight.

Look here for http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/newsletterarchive.aspx?x=v help with the front sight.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does the top of the reciever have some wavy lines instead of the matte finish. If so, these bring a premium and should not be D&T for a scope mount. The two screws in the side are for a williams, lyman or redfield peep sight and are readily available. The pin you see from the outside is the nub of the ejector, it keeps it in place when the bolt is in. If it has the wavy lines on the top of the receiver it is an early 336 and they only made this model for 4 years. I have been collecting them for a bit. They made them in the 336A, 336SC and 336RC. The 4 year guns also have a different stock design that is thicker in the wrist then current models. Hope this helps. Ryan

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Your marlin was built in 1948, it has a one piece trigger, no trigger block safety, just a piece of advice when hunting for a peep, look to the gun shows for a Redfield with the same patina. I picked up one for my 1949 336RC and it matched the gun perfectly. Talk about a quality sight. The factory front worked fine with it. I have a 336A 24" bbl half mag tube, in .32 special built in 1949, it is a very good shooter with 170gn hornadys and W748

Take care and have fun. Swany
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Bushwacker,
You called it perfectly, thanks for the info.

Swany,
I'll keep an eye out for the Redfield sight, thanks for the load suggestion.

I am not going to drill this since it already accepts a receiver sight, but I am going to clean up the wood. I think the metal is good enough to just clean and oil and not reblue. I can't wait to hunt with it...

Last edited by Redleg172; 04/17/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a great rifle cool
I like your choice to stick with the reciever sights , I think Lyman was making them back then as well wink
Love to see some pics too grin

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am also interested in the value. I recently came across a 336a in 32 special with the serian number starting with F. It has a very nice williams peep. The bluing is about 85% (looks to be in excellant condition with wear on the bottom front of receiver). It does not have a front sight hood or the rear sight. The wood is in excellant condition but the buttstock has been drilled twice.

Whats it worth? I think I may go pick it up???

Sorry to highjack your thread.

Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know if they have any real collector's value, but I "rescued" a 1950s vintage 336SC in 35 Rem. several years ago for about $200. Mine looks OK with a Williams sight, but an old Lyman or Redfield would look even better.

Regardless of the sight brand, it is a real shooter, has already accounted for a coupla deer and has the smoothest trigger of any lever gun I've ever fired.

This one was still in the used gun rack because no one wanted to spend the money to have it D/T'd. Figured if it had made it that long without being defaced, I needed to give it a good home.

Would love to have one just like it in 32 Win. special.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 71 invisible), 3,131 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,585
Posts18,454,262
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.