Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't do turrets, so with a normal hunting reticle I would go about 400 yards using a hold over of 18" to 20". From the targets I have shot at that range on a still day I would be OK, with a slight breeze a 10 shot target pattern grows horizontally about 8" wide.
With a Leupy B&C reticle with the 450 yard dot and 500 yard cross hair I would go that far, but not 600. Also if the breeze was fairly steady, the B&C windage lengths of their graduated cross hairs would be helpful.
If the breezes are gusting, I would only go about 350 yards.

The reason I wouldn't go to 600 even in perfect conditions is I don't have anything that will hold a tight enough group at that distance.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Stubble, might I remind you, you are in the long range forum... 300-400 yards is not long range... don't come over tossing rocks... please.... just ignore it if you don't agree with it...don't be a Zumbo

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Jeff,

It always dumbfounds me how these guys will limit themselves,
good guys, but they limit themselves. It's all in their head.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Heck you and I can heckle each other and still get along....others amaze me.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You heckling me just pushes me to do better, Oh yeah!

grin

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When am I gonna talk you into a better backpack like Eberlestock... grins....

Jeff

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hey, I just got back from Sportsmans and I think I found a
Eberlestock I like.

Surprise!

The GS05 or the GS05MU.

2,900 ci and fits nice on the hips to the top of my spine.
I think this would make a nice day or weekend pack.

http://www.eberlestock.com/GS05%20Gunslinger.htm

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
With my beanfield rifle I don't hesitate to do 600 yards and if I can get to a solid rest I am good for 800 and if it was truly perfect (no wind) 1000 yards. I regularly shoot crop damage deer out to 300 yards with leveraction 45-70 and .450 marlin rifles. The key to any long game shots id practice. The following video if you have high-speed internet has a short tutorial at the end after it shows me taking a few long levergun shots that shows a easy method to learn long shots and can be applied to any cartridge and rifle. reflex264

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3433415096555745370&hl=en

[Linked Image]

.264 barrel current number of shots:2122
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wished I could watch that, but the quality of the video is flat horrible.

300 yards isn't hard at all with a 45-70 type round. Just know the drop and drop it in. It can be done all day with iron sights. As you well know. Most folks won't believe it though.

And then I talk to MZ hunters that are limited to irons... and they ask where I sight in my iron 54mz. I have it set so I can easily shoot elk from 100 out to 200... and most folks you talk to MIGHT be ok at 75..... I can stretch it beyond that but prefer not to with 535 grains of lead.

Jeff

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yep the video got sorta scrambled. We didn't know the camera was acting up until all the footage was shot. By the time it got copied and uploaded it lost even more clarity. Still gets the point accross. The last part where the practice instruction is is fairly clear. A professionaly shot video is in the works that will show my .264 on some 600+ yard shots and some 200 yard revolver shots. reflex264

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
reflex264, I enjoyed the video (quality aside, which was pretty bad!) and you are a great shot with that 45/70.

I just have to say this. Please don't take it wrong. I'm not calling you out. Just this- if you are going to shoot video's like that, keep your finger off the trigger! That finger was in that trigger guard an awful lot when you were nowhere near shooting.

Again, not casting stones- just a suggestion. Others will say it much less politely than I just did, once your video's start to circulate <g>!

Thanks for the link, I really did enjoy it.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÃœCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am one of the few people that actualy use the cross bolt safety. It has a place. Actualy I don't normaly keep my finger in the gaurd as much as it looks like. I noticed it as well when we were trying to edit the garbled tape. Its hard to hear but you can hear the click of the safety being diengaged on a couple of the shots. reflex264

[Linked Image]

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not casting stones, and I'm glad you didn't take it that way. I have to constantly remind myself not to get too casual when shooting (alone, in the hills) from a bench.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Naw, didn't think you were. Actualy witnessed a gent stick his finger in the trigger gaurd on a 700 .223 to get leverage to close the bolt with his thumb!! Fortunately the bullet hit the ground right next to his truck. I was just fixin to yell when it went off. reflex264

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
When ya get the new one done,let us know. My eyes just can't handle that one, sorry.

As to safetys.... a safety is a mechanical device which can/will fail. Only safety on a gun is you. No negative intended, just a comment as a hunter ed teacher, I dislike folks that rely on safety. Muzzle control and finger control are the real safeties in life.

Jeff

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Running my triggers pretty light keeps me honest that way <G>. Especially the Jewell on my Sendero which is sub-pound.

The CENTER will hold.

FÃœCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Perfect confitions??? While hunting??? Good luck....handy bench??? Or perfect log at just the right place & angle? No such thing...Any rifle with a 300 yd mid range trajectory of 10" or so should be good to go at 300...even with iron sights...I'll admit here & now though that when I was 11 years old, I had an opportunity to take a shot at a 4x4 that was running downhill at about 200 yds....I never loosed a round because I didn't have the skills to do it(25-35)....today??? I'd have a nice trophy & some good meat....ya gotta know your limitations....oh yeah...I guess I should mention I was shooting 100 yd. smallbore competition at the time....45+ years ago....I still have dreams about that buck even though I killed a much larger one a couple years after that incident & quite a few since...but that one buck still haunts me...Edit to add...I'll bet "E" has stepped over that ground...You listening E??? How about above Hay's flat at about the top of the hill where you can look down at Silver lake on Hwy 88??? I'm planning on trying to find my way back up there this year after a 45 year absence...

Last edited by Middlefork_Miner; 07/18/08.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I�m new here so I will go ahead and make some enemies. The question about how far you could shoot under perfect conditions is a wrong question to ask. With today�s optics, laser range finders, bullet and rifle performance, it can make anyone that has watched the movie �Sniper� one to many times a long range shooting pro, so they think. There is too many video�s, products and custom gun manufactures promoting long range hunting as an ethical means of harvest. This on itself has created its own industry catering to what I call the �Sniper Wana Be Syndrome�. I have spent my whole adult life training and shooting long range. I have to, because I took an oath, and it�s my job, and mine and others lives depend on my ability. I can tell you that who ever says shooting sub MOA at the range at paper targets makes them a qualified long range shooter needs to take a reality check. It�s not the same as looking thru your tube at a moving breathing creature. The act of ethically harvesting a game animal should be the responsibility of every hunter that goes into the field. This means �in my opinion�, do the best of my ability to get as close to the target as I can, and waiting for the perfect shot. If it doesn�t come�.so be it, that�s a part of hunting that I accept. The real long range hunting question should be not if I can make the shot, but should I even try. Every time a wounded animal shows up on the news during hunting season from a bad shot, just gives the anti�s fuel for the fire. This is something to think about.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We appreciate your service!!

We also ask that you read a bit before assuming things. You are not the only one that flings long rounds. A lot of us here do and if you'll read, you'll note its conditions that control the issue. Sniper was the dumbest movie I've ever seen....

That being sadi yes, there are good shots out there that are capable, the main thing is we always call the shot via conditions, IE am I 200% sure I can make it? If so its a go at that distance. If not we walk away. Whether its 50 yards or 1000. Adn I've walked away from both distances.

No one said shooting paper makes you good to go for game. But no one said that its not possible to practice for game. You should note here that bench shooting at paper is only for testing things, the true folks practice from field positions and shoot a LOT. So they are ethical.

You shoot a lot in the course of a year. There are those of us that also ding down probably not as many rounds, but I know a lot of us have shot 10K plus rounds each year, add in dry fire, add in 22s shot, add in coaching long range shooting teams and you get the point.

It can be done, and I dont' think any of us ever said it was easy. We did say if you aren't into long range shooting there is no need or reason to be in this particular forum posting though.

The antis will have more fuel from the wally world weekend warrior with their boresighted rifles flinging a mag of ammo at under 100 yards and wounding, than you'll ever see from trained responsible shooters that hang out here.

Regards, stay safe!!!

Jeff

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
badcompanyguide,
welcome to the campfire. While reading your post, I found nothing to disagree with but I did not find your opinion of the longest range you will take a shot under perfect condiditons?

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.